G.K. Beale's "A New Testament Biblical Theology" -- 2012 Reading Group discussion

Chapter 7 & 8 > Tribulation Now

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:50PM) (new)

Bob Hayton (rjhayton) | 33 comments Mod
I really liked chapter 7. I thought the point about the "tribulations of Messiah" in Col. 1:24 was good and then the tie-in with Rev. 12 / Rom. 16 and Gen. 3 tied the chapter up nicely. I don't know that I ever thought of it this way, that Jesus suffered "great tribulation" and that we share in his sufferings by experiencing the inaugurated "great tribulation" now. It's very thought provoking and fits with his thesis well.

message 2: by Craig (new)

Craig Hurst | 30 comments Mod
I got through the first half of chap. 7 this morning. Pretty good so far. Does he deal with when he believes the tribulation to have ended and the millennium to have begun?

message 3: by Bob (new)

I believe he is amil so the tribulation is happening simultaneous to the millennium happening. But there is an escalated period of tribulation happening at the end of the church age prior to Christ's return and the establishment of the eternal kingdom (not millennium).

message 4: by Craig (new)

Wow, I really missed that in the little I have read on amil. I was about to say he was sounding like an historic premil guy and then I remembered he was amil.

I thought it was interesting that in reading Hamilton's commentary on Revelation he not only sees the tribulation as symbolic in time but also the millennial kingdom even though he sees it as still future. Goodness, so many variations!

message 5: by Bob (new)

Hamilton is historic premil, though, I believe. Did you ever listen to the "evening of eschatology" that Bethelehem Baptist sponsored? Sam Storms (amil), Jim Hamilton (historic premil) and Doug Wilson (postmil)? It was really good and thought provoking.

message 6: by Craig (new)

Yes he is historic premil and yes I did watch that video at least two times. After reading Hamilton's commentary on Revelation I am pretty convinced of his position on the time of the millennium as yet to be inaugurated. However, I do want to read Beale's commentary as well and compare the differences.