The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

In the Press, Blogs, and Sites > Do Book Trailers Sell Books?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (last edited Feb 28, 2012 01:06PM) (new)

Bill Wetterman | 2 comments When I introduced my new book yesterday, Room 1515. I miss typed the book trailer link. Nineteen people still found it. My author's group has mixed opinions about whether book trailers really sell books. What's your thoughts. Copy this link on to Google to see the trailer if this doesn't work for you. http://youtu.be/yx4wLFD2GTY.

message 2: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35954 comments It doesn't work.

message 3: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
I too get an error message.

message 4: by Corinne (last edited Feb 29, 2012 05:04AM) (new)

Corinne (vice-versa) | 14 comments I think it's because of the dot in the middle of word "youtube" in the link... idem, the dot at the end of the sentence is included in the link, and I don't think it help (can't chek youtube's links from where I read)

message 5: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 10 comments For me - no. I'd never heard of book trailers until I joined GoodReads 2 years ago. I don't think I've watched more than 3 in those two years. I can't help but see the James Patterson TV commercial/book trailers b/c they are EVERYWHERE. (I think they are silly)

I have no interest in a trailer for something I'm going to read -- the back of the cover describes the book, and I see little value in clips of an interview with the author. OF COURSE the author is going to like their book and recommend it, where's the big surprise in that??
That's just my opinion - I'm sure there are plenty of other people who like them and justify the expense of making them. I'd rather see that marketing money go to things like extending book tours with authors to more cities, giving away more free copies so people can read and recommend, etc.

message 6: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 125 comments I normally don't watch book trailers. I have only read 1 book because of a trailer I saw which was being watched by a friend.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 65 comments I know a couple of writers who have made book trailers but I haven't had any interest in watching them. I want to see the book. If the book sounds interesting I'll look for a review or discussion, but I won't bother with a trailer.

message 8: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments I've made two book trailers, and I've actually had a few people email me to tell me their bought a couple of my books based on the trailers. It might only be a couple of sales, but it still tells me it can work.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 65 comments Okay, I went to look at two recommended book trailers and they were very impressive (the first one I saw was dull). But I'm still wary of buying a book on the basis of a trailer.

message 10: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments Personally, I don't think I'd buy a book based on a trailer. However, the trailer would cause me to take a closer look at the book to see if I might really be interested. As for me, whether they sell books or not, they're a lot of fun to put together.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 65 comments Yes, I can imagine that they would be fun--working with photographs to tell a story. I'd love to do more of that (I occasionally do photo essay exhibits in my area), but then I already have too much to do.

message 12: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments Susan wrote: "Yes, I can imagine that they would be fun--working with photographs to tell a story. I'd love to do more of that (I occasionally do photo essay exhibits in my area), but then I already have too muc..."

I do, too, but I use promotion as an excuse to have a good time.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Hilborne (jfhilborne) | 21 comments I've never bought a book from watching a book trailer.

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I think, if done well, book trailers can attract readers. I'm not sure if they will actually sell books, but they're another way to give readers a summary of what your book is about. I've done a few book trailers for my books.

message 15: by Charles (new)

Charles Irion (charles_g_irion) | 4 comments I think if done well that book trailers are great. I've bought books based on the trailers I've seen and I even had one made for my books series. I like them.

Here's mine
http://youtu.be/7ScNEuEI0Ds

message 16: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

I loved the one for the Italian version of the first Flavia de Luce book. I couldn't find it in English.

http://youtu.be/yC6G-se-gys

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

message by LUCY I really like book trailers because they tell you what the book is all about and I find it helpful.As for technology in books,as long as the book has good writing and a decent plot that's all I'm really looking for.

message 18: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments I just put up a new book trailer yesterday. You can see it at www.marjamcgraw.com on the Home Page or on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0mizm... . I'm not a professional and I don't know if it will sell any books, but it was a lot of fun to put together. Just thought I'd mention it.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 65 comments Lucy's comment got me thinking about Cara Black's books, which are set in Paris in the 1990s. I think it must be very hard to keep the technology to that period (her character is a computer consultant, so technology plays a role), which is very recent. This seems to be harder than writing about the nineteenth century.

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments I never looked at book trailers before Goodreads either - I choose my books by reading the dust jacket....

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 65 comments I looked at your trailer, Marja, and it's delightful. I hope it brings you lots of book sales.

message 22: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments Susan wrote: "I looked at your trailer, Marja, and it's delightful. I hope it brings you lots of book sales."

Thank you, Susan. I hope so, too.

message 23: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 537 comments Hi Marja, I agree with Susan. It is delightful, clever, and not scary! I love the Church Lady in the Hat! I sense a lot of humor and therefore, I have put this book on my to read list.

message 24: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments Thank you so much, Georgia. It is humorous, and the Church Ladies are pushy but lovable. I think it might surprise you.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

We're a small - very small! - independent epublisher. We're just now starting to play around with trailers. Realistically, I don't expect them to drive sales by themselves but I do think they will add to the effort. And in some quarters, they might be considered conspicuous in their absence. In any event, here's our effort for THE LAST MATRYOSHKA, our latest mystery release. http://www.istoriabooks.blogspot.com/

And here's our website, for those who don't know us. http://www.istoriabooks.com/

Matthew

message 26: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments Istoria wrote: "We're a small - very small! - independent epublisher. We're just now starting to play around with trailers. Realistically, I don't expect them to drive sales by themselves but I do think they will ..."

Good job, and I love that book cover.

message 27: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 20, 2012 11:36AM) (new)

That was lovely Marja. Congratulations!

and yours, Istoria. Very nice!

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather Boustead (ReflectionsofaBookWorm) | 10 comments It depends on the trailer I saw one yesterday that made me go straight to the book for a synopsis.

message 29: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments Heather wrote: "It depends on the trailer I saw one yesterday that made me go straight to the book for a synopsis."

So, at least part of the answer is that a trailer can create interest in a book, and hopefully sell it.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 65 comments I'm starting to understand that it isn't any one thing that sells a book but just the ongoing presence of a book title or author's name that in the end prompts someone to buy a book in a bookstore or download an eBook. If it were one thing--trailer, giveaway, reviews--then more people would be doing the same thing and the other efforts would disappear. Trailers are fun and add to the mix.

message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments I agree with you Susan, I think it is a combination of things, especially if this is a new author to you. I think people are more inclined to purchase their favorite authors without any hoopla, at least that applys to me.

message 32: by Chris (last edited Mar 31, 2012 03:06PM) (new)

Chris Titus (godcomplex) | 4 comments This is a very helpful thread because there's very little feedback for authors to know which marketing channels really makes a difference in getting the word out about their book. In fact, we don't even know how someone gets to Amazon in the first place to buy our books ... was it Facebook, Twitter, a book review, our own book's website, our video trailer, press release etc. As you can see, there are many paths to follow, and that alone can be very frustrating for authors if you don't know where to focus your time. As a result, most of us go crazy applying a scatter shot approach.

I agree with the recent comments that trailers help by contributing to the mix of different ways to deliver your message. Just like everyone has their own style of learning, I think we all have different ways that products can best connect with each of us. In the end, I think the most effective channel is some form of 'word of mouth', whether it's from friends, a book review, or reviews on Amazon/Goodreads.

There was a nice article about book marketing on Venture Galleries that I think highlights the value in the 'repeated touch' that all of these mediums build upon over time. The key is to keep at it: http://venturegalleries.com/blog/you-...

Here is the trailer for my book, The God Complex. Any feedback would be appreciated: http://www.godcomplexnovel.com/

The God Complex by Chris Titus

message 33: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments Chris wrote: "This is a very helpful thread because there's very little feedback for authors to know which marketing channels really makes a difference in getting the word out about their book. In fact, we don'..."

I tried to view your trailer, but the link kept taking me to the Goodreads page. Is there another link?

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris Titus (godcomplex) | 4 comments Marja wrote: "Chris wrote: "This is a very helpful thread because there's very little feedback for authors to know which marketing channels really makes a difference in getting the word out about their book. In..."

Hi Marja, Thanks for pointing that out. The trailer is on my book's website - http://www.godcomplexnovel.com/.

message 35: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 107 comments Chris wrote: "Marja wrote: "Chris wrote: "This is a very helpful thread because there's very little feedback for authors to know which marketing channels really makes a difference in getting the word out about t..."

I liked the trailer and the book sounds pretty interesting. You got my attention.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 65 comments Chris, I viewed your trailer, and I hope your book does very well. I work at an agency that was founded to provide holistic health care to people with HIV/AIDS when there was nothing else and doctors were refusing to treat people with HIV. We have learned how important holistic therapies--acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, reiki, etc.--can be in healing people who have been given no hope or not taken seriously. Western doctors still have a lot to learn about health and healing. One question--the page that shows the trailer talks about Prague, and I don't see how that fits. Is that intended?

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris Titus (godcomplex) | 4 comments Hi Susan, the book is set between Prague and Boston. I chose locations where I lived during my own journey through a health care crisis. The sections that use Prague as the setting discuss many of the tourist attractions. This is why I created a free self-guided tour of Prague that travelers can download and take with them. It's a one-day tour that will zip you through the places described in the book. Have a look at the tour here - http://mapofprague.com/

Just a note on my own journey above. I wrote the book with three goals in mind - to get my own story out, to impart many of the lessons I learned along the way, and to do so in an exciting thriller. People learn best when they are engaged in entertainment ... then, it's not learning, it's just fun.

Characters find a journal they use to decipher the mystery, the clues to which are rooted in Chinese medicine. These journal entries are direct excerpts from my own journal, and many of the 'clues' (ie lessons) are things I learned from my teachers and doctors in Chinatown (Boston).

message 38: by Joan (new)

Joan Young (sharkbytes) | 23 comments I have one for my book about hiking the North Country Trail (see http://youtu.be/FMDmPGNOwjk ), and am thinking about doing one for News from Dead Mule Swamp - got as far as planning the images. But does it matter? I'm not sure.

message 39: by Julie (new)

Julie  (gpangel) | 148 comments I have only recently viewed a few book trailers. If i see one offered and I have the time, I'll check it out. Do they help me decide to buy the book? No. I like to watch the trailers from time to time, but usually I go by the text description and read a few reviews to decide about a book purchase. Maybe trailers work better in certain genres, like romance.

message 40: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi everyone. I moved this discussion to the Press, Blogs and Sites folder, as it's turning out to be oriented that way.

Keep contributing everyone. I love looking at the trailers!

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 65 comments I hope that means we'll still get notices of new comments.