Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Looking for kick-ass heroine

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Slavena (new)

Slavena (miolla) | 13 comments I have read Mercy Thompson, Kate Daniels etc. and am looking for other series with kick-ass heroine I have not yet read, that is not solving problems of her own making, like the shifters series (Stray,Rogue,Pride ect.) . Also something that is not involving high school (vampire Academy, vampire Diaries and such) and has a prospect of heated relationship even if it is not in book 1.
Any recommendations?

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail Koger (gailkoger) | 57 comments The Nasty Vamp

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (soireb) | 61 comments The Night Huntress by Jeanine Frost

message 4: by Jenny (last edited Feb 28, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Jenny | 114 comments Have you tried Kim Harrison's the Hallows.
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) by Kim Harrison Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) by Kim Harrison A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4) by Kim Harrison For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison The Outlaw Demon Wails (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #6) by Kim Harrison White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7) by Kim Harrison Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #8) by Kim Harrison Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9) by Kim Harrison
or
Karen Marie Moning's Fever Series. She's not so kick ass in the beginning but gets that way as the series moves on.
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

Kalayna Price's Alex Craft
Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3) by Kalayna Price

Nalini Singh's - Guild Hunter
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4) by Nalini Singh Angels' Flight (Angels' Pawn #0.5, Angels' Judgment #1.5, Angel's Wolf #4.5, Angels' Dance #4.75) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5) by Nalini Singh

Karen Chance's Cassandra Palmer
Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2) by Karen Chance Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3) by Karen Chance Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) by Karen Chance Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5) by Karen Chance

or Dorina Basarab (this one is really kick ass)
Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) by Karen Chance

Yasmine Galenorn - Sisters of the Moon
Witchling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #1) by Yasmine Galenorn Changeling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #2) by Yasmine Galenorn Darkling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #3) by Yasmine Galenorn Dragon Wytch (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #4) by Yasmine Galenorn Night Huntress (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #5) by Yasmine Galenorn Demon Mistress (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #6) by Yasmine Galenorn Bone Magic (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #7) by Yasmine Galenorn Harvest Hunting (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #8) by Yasmine Galenorn Blood Wyne (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #9) by Yasmine Galenorn Courting Darkness (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #10) by Yasmine Galenorn Shaded Vision (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #11) by Yasmine Galenorn Shadow Rising (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #12) by Yasmine Galenorn

message 5: by Emily V (new)

Emily V (xemilyx) | 27 comments The hunger games and night huntress. Also the strange angels series.

message 6: by Jussy (last edited Feb 28, 2012 02:40PM) (new)

Jussy (j-s-e) I second the Dorina Basarb series. This girl is definitely kick-ass!

Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) by Karen Chance

message 7: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 40 comments Keri Arthur ~ Riley Jensen Guardian Series

Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian, #2) by Keri Arthur Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian, #3) by Keri Arthur Dangerous Games (Riley Jenson Guardian, #4) by Keri Arthur Embraced By Darkness (Riley Jenson Guardian, #5) by Keri Arthur The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian, #6) by Keri Arthur Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian, #7) by Keri Arthur Bound to Shadows (Riley Jenson Guardian, #8) by Keri Arthur Moon Sworn (Riley Jenson Guardian, #9) by Keri Arthur

Riley is totally kick-ass.

message 8: by Slavena (new)

Slavena (miolla) | 13 comments I have not read Dorina Basarb, Alex Craft and sisters of the moon, didn't care for Kim Harrison's series, read only first 2 but it didnt grab me, will try the rest though:) thanks a lot!

message 9: by Ran (new)

Ran Lawson | 3 comments Jr ward's...."blackdagger brotherhood" series....

Kesley Cole's...."immortals after dark" series....

These are my absolute fav paranormal romance series...ive reread these two series prob bout 6-7 times...its action packed, edge of ur seat,.toe curling, intense books. Like in all series there will be a couple of slow ones, in the middle (ex..books 4,5,6)... But these two authors really know how to grab u and make u stay, like ur there everymin...I did post the whole book series, but I accidentally pushed bck on my fonr...rrrr...

Othet good series tht make MY top ten, but not my top 3...

gena showalter's..."lord of the underworld"

Christina Dodd's...."darkness choosen" series..

Maggie Shayne's......shape-shifter

CT Adams & Cathy Clamp's......"sazi" series....

And a few already mentioned tht would be in tht same group....Jeanne Frost's...."night huntress" series
Karen Moning's...."fever" series...get thru book1 it will pay off..
Karen moning's...."highlander" series as well

So now u guys knw my taste and I too am desperately looking for a new series or trilogy...gettin tired of the teenage romance as well....anyone got any recommendations????

message 10: by Slavena (new)

Slavena (miolla) | 13 comments Ran wrote: "Jr ward's...."blackdagger brotherhood" series....

These are my absolute fav paranormal romance series...ive reread these two series prob bout 6..."

Thanks Ran. I am a huge fan of Kresley Cole and have read and enjoyed everything you mentioned except Maggie Shayne's and CT Adams. I have to give that a go I love shapeshifters:)

message 11: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments If you like humorous PNR, shape shifters of various kinds, and women who kick ass and take names, you might like Shelly Laurenston's Pack and Pride series. Her females tend to be alpha. She also writes a dragon shifter series under the name G.A. Aiken.

Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston . The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston

Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken

message 12: by Ran (new)

Ran Lawson | 3 comments Slavena wrote: "Ran wrote: "Jr ward's...."blackdagger brotherhood" series....

These are my absolute fav paranormal romance series...ive reread these two series..."

Christina Dodds..."darkness choosen"" series is a shape shifter its a 4 books, and gets better and better...about..a thous yrs ago, brutal warr struck terrify bargin. In return for ability to change at will into cold hearted predator, promised his soul and soul of his descendants to the devil....russian close nit family..3 brothers and 1 sister...def my fav shape shifter series!!!

message 13: by Katya (last edited Mar 04, 2012 04:48PM) (new)

Katya | 645 comments Vampires in America:
Raphael (Vampires in America, #1) by D.B. Reynolds Jabril (Vampires in America, #2) by D.B. Reynolds Rajmund (Vampires in America, #3) by D.B. Reynolds Sophia (Vampires in America, #4) by D.B. Reynolds Duncan (Vampires in America, #5) by D.B. Reynolds Vampires in America The Vignettes, Volume 1 (Vampires in America, #5.5) by D.B. Reynolds Lucas (Vampires In America #6) by D.B. Reynolds

The Sentinel Wars:
Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher Finding the Lost (Sentinel Wars, #2) by Shannon K. Butcher Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3) by Shannon K. Butcher On the Hunt (Includes Sentinel Wars #3.5, Nightkeepers #5.5, Gods of Midnight, #4.5) by Gena Showalter Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4) by Shannon K. Butcher Blood Hunt (Sentinel Wars, #5) by Shannon K. Butcher Bound by Vengeance (Sentinel Wars, #5.5) by Shannon K. Butcher Dying Wish (Sentinal Wars, #6) by Shannon K. Butcher

message 14: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (truejourney) | 315 comments I second the Riley Jensen series. She is a major bad-ass! Also, Divergent has one of the most kick ass heroine's ever, but it is a YA dystopian novel... think Hunger Games.

message 15: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Mel wrote: "The Night Huntress by Jeanine Frost"

Cat is a tough one, and she is feared with and without Bones.

message 16: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Julianne wrote: "Keri Arthur ~ Riley Jensen Guardian Series

Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri ArthurKissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian, #2) by Keri ArthurTempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian, #3) by Keri ArthurDangerous Games (Riley Jenson Guardian, #4) by Keri Arthur[bookcover:Embraced By ..."

Riley is definatley a tough one.

message 17: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Riley Jenson from Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson series. Definately not a YA series, she's tough. She's part vamp & part wolf and is kind of like a bounty hunter.

Cat from the Night Huntress series by Frost. The vamps refer to her as the red reaper and try to stear clear of her.

the Valkyries in Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Regan makes demons eat hubcaps for fun.

Annwyln from GA Aiken's Dragon Series. Her nickname is the Blood Queen or Annwyln the Bloody.

message 18: by new_user (last edited Mar 04, 2012 06:25PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments You've read the first ones I would have recommended, and Jenny recommended a bunch of other ones. Perhaps try also Stormwalker or Storm Born? Meet your requirements. ;)

message 19: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Katya wrote: "Vampires in America:
Raphael (Vampires in America, #1) by D.B. ReynoldsJabril (Vampires in America, #2) by D.B. ReynoldsRajmund (Vampires in America, #3) by D.B. ReynoldsSophia (Vampires in America, #4) by D.B. ReynoldsDuncan (Vampires in America, #5) by D.B. Reynolds[bookcover:Vampires in America The Vignett..."

Cyn from Vampires in America is second only to Cat from Night Hubtress for me.

message 20: by Bookwyrm (new)

Bookwyrm Slavena wrote: "I have read Mercy Thompson, Kate Daniels etc. and am looking for other series with kick-ass heroine I have not yet read, that is not solving problems of her own making, like the shifters series (St..."

I recommend the Kitty Norville books by Carrie Vaughn. Also, The Weather Warden books by Rachel Caine; The Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy; Signs Of The Zodiac by Vicki Pettersson and Hunter Kiss by Marjorie M. Liu.

The first book for each series are below.

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, #1) by Carrie Vaughn Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine Urban Shaman (Walker Papers, #1) by C.E. Murphy The Scent of Shadows (Signs of the Zodiac, #1) by Vicki Pettersson The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu

message 21: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Bookwyrm wrote: "Slavena wrote: "I have read Mercy Thompson, Kate Daniels etc. and am looking for other series with kick-ass heroine I have not yet read, that is not solving problems of her own making, like the shi..."

I keep hearing good things about this Kitty Norville series. I think I might check it out.

message 22: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Missyb wrote: "Bookwyrm wrote: "Slavena wrote: "I have read Mercy Thompson, Kate Daniels etc. and am looking for other series with kick-ass heroine I have not yet read, that is not solving problems of her own mak..."

I really enjoy the Kitty books. The writing is excellent (I love how it's first person POV until she shift into a wolf and then it becomes 3rd personPOV it adds something unique to the story) Kitty is a good heroine, she comes off as wimpy in the beginning of the first book but gets stronger and stronger, I love that because most strong characters aren't just born that way--they struggle and those struggles make them stronger.

message 23: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments P.A. wrote: "Missyb wrote: "Bookwyrm wrote: "Slavena wrote: "I have read Mercy Thompson, Kate Daniels etc. and am looking for other series with kick-ass heroine I have not yet read, that is not solving problems..."

What are they similiar too? Are they like the Samantha Moon series, or Mercy Thompson series, or Rachel Morgan, or Night Huntress series?

message 24: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Missyb wrote: "P.A. wrote: "Missyb wrote: "Bookwyrm wrote: "Slavena wrote: "I have read Mercy Thompson, Kate Daniels etc. and am looking for other series with kick-ass heroine I have not yet read, that is not sol..."

I would compare Kitty to Mercy. She doesn't start off super kick ass but develops into it. The story line is really good though. The romance level is about the same as Mercy too.

message 25: by S. (last edited Mar 05, 2012 06:16AM) (new)

S. Taylor (sboydtaylor) | 17 comments Did anyone point out the Sabina Kane series by Jaye Wells yet?

Ex-assassin, hard boiled female hero struggles to come to terms with the softer side of her nature while also fighting against the evil powers that be.

Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2) by Jaye Wells Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3) by Jaye Wells Silver-Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane, #4) by Jaye Wells Blue-Blooded Vamp by Jaye Wells Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5) by Jaye Wells

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 429 comments Has anyone said Rose from Vampire Academy? I know its YA, but she is definitely a kick-ass heroine!

message 27: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 61 comments I highly recommend this series Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep
She is a kick ass assasin. I found this was a real page turner and kept me interested the whole way

message 28: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Ran wrote: "Jr ward's...."blackdagger brotherhood" series....

These are my absolute fav paranormal romance series...ive reread these two series prob bout 6..."

I like all of those series as well, though the heroines aren't too kick ass in those (the men are but not the heroines) However, I have just discovered the Dark Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon and it is excellent if you like BDB. If you like a bit of humour with your PNR you could also try the love at stake series by Kerrelyn Sparks.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor , and Karou was pretty kick ass. It's a YA book, but definitely YA for an older crowd.

message 30: by Wan (last edited Mar 05, 2012 05:08PM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 195 comments I'm just starting on the Katherine "Kitty" Katt Series and really loving it. There are at least 2 kick-ass females in this series (Kitty and her mom). :-)

Touched by an Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #1) by Gini Koch Alien Tango (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #2) by Gini Koch Alien in the Family (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #3) by Gini Koch Alien Proliferation (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #4) by Gini Koch Alien Diplomacy (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #5) by Gini Koch Alien vs. Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #6) by Gini Koch

message 31: by Allison (new)

Allison | 247 comments I love Merit in the Chicagoland Vampire series.

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill