UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Name that book - Premier League Football Teams

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments There are 20 Premier League football teams. I'd like to compile a list of non-sporting books which feature one of the teams... first come, first served!!

I'll start the ball rolling with my book Dark Tidings which features Newcastle United... Howay the Lads!

message 2: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
44 Years With The Same Bird A Liverpudlian Love Affair by Brian Reade would be the best one for Liverpool Ken. YNWA.

message 3: by Ken (last edited Feb 29, 2012 07:51AM) (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments Ian wrote: "44 Years With The Same Bird A Liverpudlian Love Affair by Brian Reade would be the best one for Liverpool Ken. YNWA."

Thanks Ian, but I'm not sure I'm going to allow that because it's a sporting book i.e. it's actually about football and the club.

What I was hoping to do was to gather was a collection of books where the premiership club was an incidental in the story.

Maybe that's too hard, but I thought it would be fun to try!

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments How about Nick Hornby - Fever Pitch? It's about Arsenal..

message 5: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Sorry Ken - misread your post.

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments @Bill I think you just about get that in... Arsenal is more than incidental, but it's definitely not a sports book as such. Good job.

@Ian No worries, but I think you now need to come up with a 'valid' entry to make full amends!

message 7: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ok then - John Peel's autobiography. Big LFC fan and in amongst his sage musings about music are his equally wise thoughts on Liverpool football club. Margrave of the Marshes by John Peel

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments Perfect Ian, We now have Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle... only 17 more to go.

message 9: by Allan (new)

Allan | 14 comments Has it got to be Premiership teams? The Damned Utd features Derby and Leeds- two for one but in the Championship (at the moment anyway)

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments Sorry Allan, can't allow it. I suspect they'll not be eligible next year either!

message 11: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Slightly off topic, but there's a 99p kindle deal on for just today for Family: Life, Death and Football which is about being a Millwall fan. Doesn't fit on 2 counts but thought someone might like to know.

message 12: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ken wrote: "Sorry Allan, can't allow it. I suspect they'll not be eligible next year either!"

And that's just being cruel Ken.

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments I was disappointed to only have 3 suggestions so far. We have Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle so far... any more before we have to drop Wolves and find Reading?

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments I'm afraid, I'm at a loss to suggest any other books, Ken. Nothing I've read let lately has provided me any further possibilities.

message 15: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I too am clueless! Sorry Ken!

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Seem to remember a football club in Sebastian Faulk's A week in December but which one it was have no idea!!

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments Sue wrote: "Seem to remember a football club in Sebastian Faulk's A week in December but which one it was have no idea!!"

Hey Sue, Sounds perfect if we only knew the team! A quick Google tells me about a character, Spike Borowski, a Polish footballer who recently joined a popular British team ... so the challenge for everyone is NAME THAT TEAM!

Thanks Bill & Em for playing the game.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments The only one I know is The Damned Utd by David Peace which is one of the WBN books.

Managed to get a copy for the ex.

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments Lynne - The Book Squirrel wrote: "The only one I know is The Damned Utd by David Peace which is one of the WBN books."

Sorry Lynne, you're the second person to fail with that book... neither team featured is in the Premiership and I wanted books in which the football reference was incidental rather than the main theme.

Sorry!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments Never did like any sport anyway!

message 21: by Allan (new)

Allan | 14 comments David Beckham gets some incidental mentions in Nick Hornby's "Slam"- does this get Man Utd in ?(he was playing for them when it was written)

message 22: by Ian, Moderator (new)

In the first chapter of my current read The Key by Simon Toyne by Simon Toyne, one of the characters in Iraq is wearing a Man.Utd(aka the scum) baseball cap. And at this point, can I just say......"Come on City" for Monday night. This also proves the fact that they are only supported by those living outside the M60, m'lud.

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments @Allan & Ian, I think I need to accept both books for Man Utd... but no more please.

I'm a Newcastle supporter, but I'm cheering for City on Monday!

So The Key and Slam go on the list for Man Utd. What's the book for City?

message 24: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ken wrote: "@Allan & Ian, I think I need to accept both books for Man Utd... but no more please.

I'm a Newcastle supporter, but I'm cheering for City on Monday!

Isn't everybody Ken?

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael Parker (michaelparker) | 97 comments I'm a Pompey supporter (sound of violins please). I don't really care who wins tonight; I just want to see a good game. And no more boring Barcelona stuff!

message 26: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Blooming eck...never thought I'd see Barcelona's footballing poetry described as boring.

message 27: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments Ian wrote: "Blooming eck...never thought I'd see Barcelona's footballing poetry described as boring."

I've got to agree... did you see the Messi hat-trick against Malaga?

Hold on... talking of magic goals, did you see Papiss Cisse's first goal against Chelsea? Hold on, did you see his second... Arthur Scargill would have been proud of that strike!

PS Come on guys (and gals)... name the non-sporting books that have Premiership teams as incidentals.

message 28: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments David, I started the ball rolling with my own book, Dark Tidings so I am happy with any book that fits the thread. We already have the Man Utd (ex-champions) book and Voices now represents Everton.

message 29: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ho ho ho

message 30: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments Everton are my team David. When I started watching the Premiereship, they were about the only team with a Canadian player on it, Tomas Radzinski, so I had to cheer for them.. :0) Too bad about the OT game.. ;0)

message 31: by Ken (last edited May 22, 2012 05:01AM) (new)

Ken Magee | 59 comments The story so far...

Dark Tidings - Newcastle United
Fever Pitch - Arsenal
Margrave of the Marshes - Liverpool
The Key & Slam - Manchester United
Voices - Everton (David - I couldn't find a link)

So guys, we only managed 5 from 20... not a great show!