Mock Printz 2022 discussion

There Is No Dog
This topic is about There Is No Dog
Mock Printz 2013 > There is No Dog by Meg Rosoff

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (last edited Feb 28, 2012 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Meg Rosoff's There is No Dog tied for first place in our poll. It has received 3 starred reviews so far! Rosoff's How I Live Now won the Printz in 2005. Is she set for another one?

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Weird. I was caught up in this story. It was a fascinating look at Rosoff's thoughts about God mixed in with "why" or, as the case may be, no answer at all. But who is this book intended for? Like, Life: An Exploded Diagram, it doesn't read "teen". Will have to revisit later in year.

message 3: by elissa (new) - added it

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 52 comments I heard at a www.capitolchoices.org meeting last Friday that Rosoff herself says that she doesn't write for any particular audience. This was probably published YA only becuase she won the Printz. I've only read about 20 pages of it so far, but plan to read more at some point. HOW I LIVE NOW is one of my personal favorites...

Courtnay (courtnaym) | 1 comments I can't say that I'll finish this one. I made it 50 pages but the characters just don't speak to me. I found myself extremely annoyed by the petulant teenager that is God. Maybe I'll pick it up later in the year.

Jenn (jennmonk) | 41 comments It was interesting. Definitely an intriguing premise and I did like the resolution. But is it Printz-worthy? I don't think so.

Megan (megancallaway) I definitely agree with the comments that said this book didn't necessarily read as young adult. Her writing style kind of reminded me of John Connolly who, I think, also fits into the same category. Aside from the fact that Bob was really annoying, I thought this book was great! The idea was charming, and I totally fell in love with the Eck.

message 7: by x (new) - rated it 2 stars

x Just read this one, and wasn't totally a fan. Some of the writing was nice, but I thought the characters could have been more well-drawn. None of them seemed to have a terrible amount of depth. The themes and premise of the books was absolutely fascinating, but I wish she spent more time examining them than focusing on Bob's love life.