Christian Readers discussion

Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Odle | 1 comments Do any of you know any good historical fiction books that take place around the time of Christ or shortly after his death. I'd love to read a book based on the facts of the bible and the facts of history at the same time with a fictional character wrapped up in the middle of it all.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (goodreadscommysaggingshelves) | 71 comments Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers is a great series of books. Actually, I think she has several biblical times books out.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Mark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers also I could not find on here:Titus comrade of the Cross and Stephen a soldier of the cross you can get through lamplighters by Florence Kingsley. really old stories, but so good.The witness by W. G Griffiths. 0therbooks of his on here,but not this one-and is centered as you wanted in time) Devil's Island is pretty good. By John Hagee. most of these are old but goodies.I have read others, but they slip my mind and these are keepers I kept to read over.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 143 comments The Robe, Ben Hur, Justus, Twice Freed are all New Testament era novels. I have not read Twice Freed but it is about Onesimus and Philemon and I have been told it is very good.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 102 comments I love so many of those books. Another good series (without a fictional character though) is: Two From Galilee The Story Of Mary And Joseph by Marjorie Holmes and Three From Galilee The Young Man from Nazareth by Marjorie Holmes .

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Margaret wrote: "I love so many of those books. Another good series (without a fictional character though) is:Two From Galilee The Story Of Mary And Joseph by Marjorie Holmes and [bookcover:Three From Galilee: The..."

These sound good. Twice freed sounds wonderful also. Forgot about the others you mentioned Nary even though they are on my shelf, but in classic area so did not spot them. My books are arranged weird.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike Parker (scavengers) | 1 comments Liz wrote: "Do any of you know any good historical fiction books that take place around the time of Christ or shortly after his death. I'd love to read a book based on the facts of the bible and the facts of ..."

"YESHUA: The King, The Demon & The Traitor" by NYT Bestselling author GP Tayler (Shadowmancer) and Paula K. Parker is getting ready to release next week. You can preorder from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Yeshua-Demon-Tr...

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip | 1 comments Second Touch is a marvelous novel.

message 9: by Christie (new)

Christie Hagerman (hammocklibrarian) | 7 comments Healer, by Linda Windsor, was exceptional.

message 10: by Craig (new)

Craig Dressler (craigdressler) | 42 comments You might enjoy my short historical fiction entitled Standing Elk. One librarian said of the book: "It is a beautifully written story." Standing Elk is available from the Sundowners Imprint of Treble Heart Books at the following link: http://www.trebleheartbooks.com/MVDre...
Standing Elk by Craig Dressler

message 11: by Melanie (last edited Aug 19, 2014 11:03PM) (new)

Melanie Kilsby (realitywriter) | 11 comments I love the drive thru history's. But-I think they are just in DVD??
Shame! *shrug*

message 12: by J.C. (new)

J.C. Lamont (jclamont) | 11 comments Flames of Rome by Paul Meier. He is a true historian, and no characters are named in the book if history or the Bible doesn't name them. He also wrote Pontius Pilate, one of my favorites. Both books includes extensive list of resources and end notes.

message 13: by Julian (new)

Julian Bauer (julianbauer) | 6 comments Check out Eugenios: Servant of Kings. It deals with the relationship between Rome and Palestine and answers the question of how a Jew could become a Christian. Loaded with facts about the period. See callbauer.org.

message 14: by Kara (last edited Jun 14, 2015 07:19AM) (new)

Kara (karamck) A Gate Called Beautiful, is a Historical fiction set in Capernaum in the time of Jesus ministry. It's about a young crippled woman who lives on the streets with the Biblical characters Jesus heals, and it includes Bible scenes of miracles that occur at the same time, such as Peter walking on water, Jairus' daughter's story, the bleeding woman and the feeding of the 5,000.

amazon.com/author/karamckenzie

message 15: by Ocieanna (new)

Ocieanna | 1 comments I just finished a book called The Centurion's Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke. It starts the day after the crucifixion. I love how it gives the rational proofs of the resurrection throughout the story. Very good! The Centurion's Wife (Acts of Faith, #1) by Davis Bunn