Creative Reviews discussion

?'s for the Members of CR > Kindle/E-Book Conversion

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments Hey everyone, I know I've asked about Kindle and E-books before but I don't know If I asked the obvious so here it is. Does anyone know if it's possible to have your book converted into a Kindle or E-Book for free? My publishing company is of course asking for mucho dinero for me to do it and I am sure theres a process to have it done either for nothing or virtually nothing.

message 2: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Two editors that can do it for you at a reasonable price: Tricia and Amy. Both do a bang up job but I do not know their schedules.

Or, you can do it yourself. That involves gettimg your WORD doc to be right. Both the Amazon and Smashwords conversions are free. Punlishing the ebook is free. Both sites have good (and free) style guides....follow them precisely and get ready for a learning curve.

I did my first book and it was ok. Others did it again and it is MUCH better now.

Advice: hire someone unless you are prepared to learn and bang your head a bit.

Splitter

message 3: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Oh....and both are in this group.

Splitter

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments C.S. Splitter wrote: "Two editors that can do it for you at a reasonable price: Tricia and Amy. Both do a bang up job but I do not know their schedules.

Or, you can do it yourself. That involves gettimg your WORD do..."

Thanks Splitter. My only concern with Smashwords is isn't it a full fledged online publishing company? Like don't you have to sign a contract with them or can you just use the site to convert a book?

message 5: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Smashwords is non-exclusive. Publishing with them costs you nothing, no risk. Plus, it coverts your book to epub and other formats too.

Amazon is non-exclusive too and only does Kindle formats.

BUT, if you want to do Amazon Select, that IS exclusive for 90 days at a time. But, again, you can always unpublish your book on Smashwords (it takes a while for it to disappear from the Smashword affiliates, though.).

message 6: by Stephen (last edited Feb 28, 2012 03:01PM) (new)

Stephen Herfst (stephen_herfst) | 54 comments I personally think the smashwords conversion is quite poor. For a free converter, you can use Calibre or if you're feeling 'professional,' I would recommend using Jutoh ($39.00 U.S. / £24.00 / €30.00 excl. VAT).

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments I have Calibre but I have no clue how to use it or how it works

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Smashwords is a DISTRIBUTOR like Amazon, NOT a scam publishing company.

message 9: by Doc (new)

Doc (doc_coleman) | 46 comments Justin wrote: "Hey everyone, I know I've asked about Kindle and E-books before but I don't know If I asked the obvious so here it is. Does anyone know if it's possible to have your book converted into a Kindle or..."

Justin, did you check your contract with your "publisher"? If you use KDP or Smashwords to create e-book versions of your books, you are self-publishing your book and that may violate exclusive rights or non-compete clauses in your contract. Of course, if you don't have those clauses in your contract, you can go to town with Smashwords and KDP.

Doc

message 10: by Sally (new)

Sally (dobsew) | 4 comments Calibre is a free converter and is really simple to use and you can convert the file to numerous formats that will be suitable for all e-readers on the market.

message 11: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Personally, I have had issues with Calibre converting my books. But I have used it to send to BETA readers. Of course, I could be doing it wrong :).

On the rights....Justin, do check for words like "electronic format" because your publisher "probably" included them. Most do, not sure about your though.

Splitter

message 12: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth | 14 comments I've used Calibre, and it worked beautifully...but I didn't start with a Word document. I formatted the book as a HTML document with Notepad++ and then converted that. There's an excellent guide on how to do this here: http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-p...

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Justin, hire a lawyer to help you out of your contract with Publish America, #1 scammer in the US, then you can keep talking...

message 14: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Elisabeth wrote: "I've used Calibre, and it worked beautifully...but I didn't start with a Word document. I formatted the book as a HTML document with Notepad++ and then converted that. There's an excellent guide on..."

Ahhhhhh. That's useful. Good share!

Splitter

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments Barbara wrote: "Justin, hire a lawyer to help you out of your contract with Publish America, #1 scammer in the US, then you can keep talking..."

I dont need a lawyer, im sure it wont be that bad. Im sure theyll be more than happy to cancel my contract since ive made them no money

message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments I downloaded Calibre and my books on there but now I dont know what to do with it thats all.

Im not considering Smashwords or Amazon for my current book but my new one and either way im just looking into it.

message 17: by Leonard (new)

Leonard (leonardseet) | 6 comments I've used Calibre and it works great. Of course, as mentioned, it doesn't work with Word documents, so you have to convert it to rtf or pdf formats.

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments Okay Smashwords and Calibre aside and back onto Kindle. I know the surface so to speak of how it works but when it gets converted into Kindle format what then happens to it? Into Amazons database? Available for purchase? Price setting? Everyones telling me different things and I'm getting lost. Splitter you addressed the issue for me first so I think your in the run to get me back on track with understanding this lol.

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) access KDP with your amazon account and follow the prompt - upload cover, file, description, then set the price. if it's more than 2.99 you get 70% royalties, less 35%.
You can import Word saved as HTML in calibre and then convert it to mobi OR you can save your word document as HTML and upload it to KDP as is - be sure to check the preview before going to the next page where you set the pricing.

message 20: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments Yeah, it's prwety straight forward, Justin you get tp set everything and then hit the publish button on Amazon.

Splitter