Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Do wizards go to school before Hogwarts?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by george ☽ (last edited Feb 28, 2012 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

george ☽ I mean... I dont remember anyone mentioning a school before Hogwarts for wizards... do they go to a Muggle school, like Harry and Hermione did? Or do they just not go to school at all?

I'm not talking about Muggle borns, but pure bloods and half bloods who were aware of their magic. Ron for instance, where would he have gone?

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily I think that it mentioned in later books, that Ron and his siblings were homeschooled? but I can't remember XD

Samantha The Escapist I always wonder how much of muggle schooling wizard kids get before Hogwarts, I understand that the Sciences aren't really needed in the wizarding world but practical math at least. As well as english or languages in general being a staple all through education. Really even some sciences should be there, at least human anatomy.

So many things! Geography, history of the world aside from magic...

Melissa Eisenmeier I think it was mentioned on J. K. Rowling's website, I remember her saying something about how readers might have guessed that children were homeschooled, out of fear that they might, accidentally or otherwise, perform magic in public and that bad things might happen.

Lisa Harris I think Muggle borns and half bloods go to primary school with everyone else just like Harry did before he got his letter.

george ☽ yeah, thanks, I thought they mightve been home schooled but I wasnt sure... :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I think they aren't really like, officially HOMESCHOOLED but more like taught the basics from their parents or someone living with them so that they were smart enough. I mean, all of these people were really intelligent and I don't think they could just have NOT gone to school or anything. That seems totally impractical.

Occamy Potter Occamy Shelby wrote: "I think they aren't really like, officially HOMESCHOOLED but more like taught the basics from their parents or someone living with them so that they were smart enough. I mean, all of these people w..." I think so....

Kasey Good question. I don't remember reading it anywhere.

★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ Before going to Hogwarts young witches and wizards had the choice to go to 'Charm School' where they could get a headstart on their education.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Cha... <-- Link to the Post on it

Amanda I think the Weasleys were homeschooled but that there was some other type of school as well for young wizards. I'm sure magic wouldn't have been taught as that only starts in them when they reach a certain age really and it would be quite dangerous to teach a young child magic.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...

Shawn Keenan Cool question. I guess the kids could get by with a little homeschooling before Hogwarts. They probably don't require the same kind of knowlegdge we muggles do. Mr. Weasley always seemed baffled by everything in our world, so I guess they stick to learning about magic.

Samantha The Escapist Still, with all the writing these kids do in school (and later in the minestry where most people seem to end up working) how do they get by with (at best) languages education up till age 10 only? What about the finances of those that open shops in diagon alley?

Shawn Keenan Samantha wrote: "Still, with all the writing these kids do in school (and later in the minestry where most people seem to end up working) how do they get by with (at best) languages education up till age 10 only? W..."

Maybe those courses are covered a bit at Hogwarts as well and were just not focused on in the books?

Uditi i think they just went to school like muggle kids except they all knew they were wizards and had wizard subjects like how a face-clock-thing like they have at ron's house work.

Can you imagine MAGIC MARKERS that are ACTUALLY MAGIC!!!!!!!!

message 16: by CASI (new) - rated it 5 stars

CASI Black I'm sure Harry did, as far as I can remember he was wearing Dudley's old uniforms but I'm not sure about Ron and those who came from other wizarding families. Maybe they've learned how to read , write and the math thing from their parents, only the usual basics.^^

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8... - Word Game folks.. all about Harry Potter world.

Sarah J K Rowling said that some go to muggle schools, but most are home-schooled.

Ciara Muggle-borns go to ordinary school, while wizards who know they are wizards are taught at home by their parents who are wizards and witches. :)

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ No. Lucky things.

george ☽ Alexia wrote: "No. Lucky things."

lol

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I would think so but I don't know.

Chase I've been wondering this myself. I mean I kind of figured muggle born went to regular schools and stuff (not sure about how the schools were notified when the kids eventually went to Hogwarts) but I have never been sure about pure-bloods and the others. The seem pretty smart to not have gone to any schools (even if parents did teach them).

message 23: by Karen (last edited May 28, 2012 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen Harry went to "regular" or muggle's
school and Ron was home schooled.

Arika In the first Harry Potter book, Harry mentions how he went to a school that his cousin Dudley went to. Read the first few chapters of HP 1 and you will know that Harry went to school before Hogwarts. As for Ron and such, they were probably all home schooled because if they knew that they were wizards, than I doubt that their parents would want them to be in a muggle school with all muggles.