Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Berenstain Bears

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jan Berenstain, co-writer of the Berenstain Bears, has died at the age of 88.

http://www.avclub.com/philadelphia/ar...

Did you read those as a child, or read them to a child? Did you have a favorite?

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments I've read plenty of them to my kids and we've also borrowed several of the videos from the library.

There's one where the parents try to teach the kids about "stranger danger." Unfortunately, the message was lost ony my daughters.

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 241 comments I loved Berenstain Bears. I have also read them to my children.

My children especially loved the one where the son(i think) was fooled by the magic trick of the coin where the sides were the same. I remember it took a while to explain that one to them.

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments Those books were torture for me to read to the girls. Fortunately, they did not enjoy them. I found them ridiculous. They reminded me of Arnold S. in kindergarten cop, talking about "reading stories about Bears (Bay-yuhs) who go shopping."

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I read them numerous times to my kids, and have a couple of the videos. They were very fun books

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I really loved the cartoon specials around the holiday season. They had a wonderful innocent humor, and I loved the illustrations!

message 7: by Dennis (new)

Dennis I think I've read 90% of them to each of my children. They seemed to enjoy them but we were always puzzled why Mama bear was always wearing the same blue polka-dotted muumuu and matching housecap in every single book...

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 292 comments Ohhh, I remember reading those when I was in preschool, I liked them then, they're as annoying as all get out now but I'd still read them to my kids if I ever have any.

message 9: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I enjoyed both the books and the part of Cedar Point dedicated to the bears when I was a kid, but none of my nieces and nephews were at all interested in reading or hearing the books, so I have no idea what they're like from an adult perspective.

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Dennis wrote: "I think I've read 90% of them to each of my children. They seemed to enjoy them but we were always puzzled why Mama bear was always wearing the same blue polka-dotted muumuu and matching housecap..."

So the little kids would recognize her as Mama. Otherwise, they all look the same. :)

message 11: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24109 comments Mod
I have no knowledge whatsoever of these books, or the bears.

message 12: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4258 comments I didn't read these books to my daughter.

message 13: by Cheri (last edited Mar 03, 2012 10:09PM) (new)

Cheri | 795 comments Are these the toliet paper bears from the other thread?

Never liked them. I'm more in the Richard Scarry fan club.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24109 comments Mod
No.

YEAH! Richard SCARRY.

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments I have read Scarry's "What Do People Do All Day" many many many times. It's an excellent back seat of the car book. Much to discuss.

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments One of THE coolest toys I owned was a Berenstein Bears treehouse - accessorized with bear furniture & decor. Skipper spent a lot of time there when Barbies and Ken were getting on her nerves. It was like putting Clifford the Big Red Dog in a bird cage. She barely fit, but remove a couple of legs, and she fit in there just fine. She just hopped around on her pelvic bone.

message 17: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Heidi wrote: "One of THE coolest toys I owned was a Berenstein Bears treehouse - accessorized with bear furniture & decor. Skipper spent a lot of time there when Barbies and Ken were getting on her nerves. It ..."

Heidi, I love you. <3

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jammies wrote: "Heidi, I love you. <3 "

:)

message 19: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I don't know these bears.

message 20: by Heidi (last edited Mar 06, 2012 03:23PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments janine wrote: "I don't know these bears."

The Berenstain Bear Family:

The treehouse:

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I like the treehouse, I can see why you'd sacrifice Skipper's legs.

message 22: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments janine wrote: "I like the treehouse, I can see why you'd sacrifice Skipper's legs."

Inside the treehouse:

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'm kind of irked that the ONE picture of the tree house that I could find online was no longer a valid link. I googled "70s Berenstain Bear treehouse"... and it pulled up a pic of the plastic treehouse that I had. It was the coolest ever.

message 24: by Heidi (last edited Mar 12, 2012 08:22AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "I totally wanted to live in their treehouse."

I did too, KD. Also, I wanted to live in the Gnome house:

I always thought their happy mice pets seemed neato.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I loved the Treehouse too. And all of the Need A House? Call Ms. Mouse houses!

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments This thread has quickly shot its way up to be my new favorite.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments The Bernstein Bears portion of Cedar Point is awesome! Includes a kid-sized version of the treehouse (which was my favorite part of the bears).

I loved Richard Scarry.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.