Goon Reads discussion

Favourite location for reading?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy109) | 7 comments At your desk? During a long journey? In a favourite chair? Or simply anywhere you can? Do tell.

message 2: by Damion (new)

Damion (minimaul) | 2 comments Most of my reading is done in three places: At my desk at work on my lunch break. On my couch or in my bed at home.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 5 comments Mod
I'm a In-bed-to-help-fall-asleep reader, for sure. I don't get much other time during the day, unfortunately - but I do find that reading helps me wind down pretty well.

message 4: by Andreas (new)

Andreas (elizilla) | 1 comments For me, it's definitely on our veranda in summer, when it's not hot enough to fry eggs yet or require sunglasses in order keep my sight.
Sadly, most of my reading is done in less than optimal places during my morning and evening commute: in subways, buses, trams, and their respective stations.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin Moore (rayyeter) | 4 comments I'm also an in-bed-to-fall-asleep person. It's really bad when I'm holding my nook above my face sometimes. I've dropped it square on my nose, or woken up with it on my face.

message 6: by Dekks (new)

Dekks | 7 comments In bed at night, I need to get a nightlight for my Kindle though to stop annoying the wife when she's trying to sleep and I can't stop reading. Sometimes you just need to know what's going to happen next ok??

message 7: by Leslee (new)

Leslee (litwrite) | 4 comments Usually in bed at night, or on the couch with a cup of tea while my husband watches his never ending MMA shows. I also read a lot at work on breaks.

message 8: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (areyoustillthere) | 3 comments Justin wrote: "I'm also an in-bed-to-fall-asleep person. It's really bad when I'm holding my nook above my face sometimes. I've dropped it square on my nose, or woken up with it on my face."

This made me laugh way too hard.

I read at the kitchen table while eating, on the couch probably 2 hours a day, and then in bed at night for another little while. My favorite location to go to with the express purpose of reading is Chipotle.

message 9: by William (new)

William (judemaverick) | 2 comments I enjoy reading a lot on the subway train or the bus. My second favorite spot is reading at this quiet outdoor place outside my film lab at school. Reading goes well with school lunch, if it's a Subway sandwich.

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy109) | 7 comments I just bought a lamp so I can read in bed without having to get up and turn the light off. Otherwise, I've a chair I sit in near the window, with a small table at the side where I place a cup of tea or glass of wine and an ashtray. However I don't use it and usually end up with my legs hanging over the back of the sofa and dropping cigarette ash all over myself. But, I'm happy.

message 11: by Blair (new)

Blair (blairmk) | 2 comments I just moved a few months ago and I haven't replaced most of my abandoned furniture yet, so by default I do most of my reading in bed or at my computer desk. I need to buy me a comfortable reading chair.

message 12: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 3 comments usually my reading is either done at work at my desk, at home sitting in bed, or on the weekends at the coffee shop MY FIANCEE and i like to go to. bonus points if i can get the comfy chairs instead of the wooden ones when i'm there.

message 13: by Steven (last edited Mar 04, 2012 03:12AM) (new)

Steven (hasseltkoffie) | 4 comments On the couch mostly, sometimes at work if there's a quiet moment. I don't really read in bed any-more, but used to lay in for hours when I was a kid.

Oh and in the train if I don't forget the Kindle.

message 14: by izrtkfliers (new)

izrtkfliers | 2 comments I've been reading in coffeeshops a lot lately for some reason inbetween classes or during lunch. I rarely read in bed or in my room, probably because I barely spend time in my dorm room.

message 15: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty | 1 comments I read on my bed, in my pillow fort! I don't have much luck reading at bedtime, I get dozy the moment I pick it up. Have dropped the kindle on my face several times too.

I've never been able to read in the car, still get carsick..

Just picked up three new cushions for pillow fort as well. Woo

message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin Moore (rayyeter) | 4 comments Kaila wrote: This made me laugh way too hard."

Yeah, I straight up just pass out when reading at night.

Unless I wake up in the middle of the night. Then I go downstairs and just read for the rest of the night or pass out on the couch.

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy109) | 7 comments I remember when I was a child I'd read for hours in bed. It was almost exclusively Enid Blyton back then. Then when I was a teenager I read stuff like Joseph Wambaugh or Stephen King, late into the night and through to the early hours, then I'd be tired in the morning for school.
Simpler times and pleasures.

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian (aussiecavalier) | 2 comments I usually do all my reading at work. Long stints (3-4 hours at a time) of sitting on my ass with nothing to do means I have plenty of reading time. Only problem is when I work night-shift I am often in locations where there is little-to-no light at all, so I need to invest in a Kindle or iPad (or other type of e-reader tablet).... but I prefer to have a physical copy of the book, rather than e-versions (or even audio books)...

message 19: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (flaggy) | 2 comments I read everywhere, at my desk at work, in bed at night, in the car on road trips, outside during the summer, I can read literally anywhere. I have a Kindle so I can take it anywhere, I need a case with a light though.

message 20: by J (new)

J | 1 comments I have to admit I haven't been looking for apartments within walking distance from work, just because I love reading on the bus and train so much. A transit commute carves out two twenty minute reading sessions each day.

message 21: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (areyoustillthere) | 3 comments Reading in buses/cars makes me feel immediately nauseous, I'm so envious when people can do that :(

message 22: by Leslee (new)

Leslee (litwrite) | 4 comments Brian wrote: "I usually do all my reading at work. Long stints (3-4 hours at a time) of sitting on my ass with nothing to do means I have plenty of reading time. Only problem is when I work night-shift I am ofte..."

You'd need a booklight with a kindle unless you get the fire, if you're looking for something backlit that you can read in the dark, go with a tablet since e-ink is very specifically not backlit since it's easier on the eyes. Or you can just invest in a 10 dollar booklight if you like reading physical copies!

message 23: by David (new)

David (roydrowsy) | 2 comments i will read just about anywhere I can. But I'll say one place that is alwasy a special treat is the tub.

After a long day, there is nothing more refreshing than getting the tub nice and full of hot water, laying back and just reading for an hour or so. I've not dropped a book yet!

message 24: by Tamsyn (new)

Tamsyn (meanderingly) | 2 comments Mine is outside under a tree, but the weather doesn't always agree, so a lot is done at home with my cat on my lap or at work during lunch. I used to get mocked a lot by my colleagues for reading so much, but now several of them have gone out and quietly bought Kindles as well.

message 25: by Loten (new)

Loten | 2 comments I generally read on the train to work and for about an hour before bed I'll lie on the couch and read. Like Justin, it's not rare for me to wake up with a book or my Kindle on my face :)

message 26: by Luke (new)

Luke (lukeddm) | 2 comments I have a hammock chair on the back deck that I'm a big fan of - but it makes it easy to doze off...
I do a lot of reading in the library, in classes when I'm early, at work on my lunch break, and before bed almost every night. I also have 2 chairs I love to read in - one is a leather recliner in the sun room downstairs, and one is a big cushy microsuede chaise lounge upstairs in a little funky sun room that's my minimalist zen room.
Yup, I love books.

message 27: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (purerok) | 2 comments I'm afraid school broke me. If I'm not in bed when I'm reading then I pretty much have to be sitting at a school desk (it's very specific). Sadly, I don't own one of those so I pretty much only read in bed if I'm not completely worn out by the time I get there.

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 1 comments Recently I've been reading at work... My work right now is to go to class to learn shit for my job, but the material is so easy that I just tuck my ereader next to my elbow and read it with my textbook next to it. Good stuff.

When I'm not learning things I'll read anywhere though.

message 29: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy109) | 7 comments While the weather's good here in Glasgow I've been reading outside whenever I can. And I'm surprised that I can become engrossed enough not to become easily distracted.

message 30: by Allie (new)

Allie (alliemariepercy) | 2 comments Definitely in bed propped up with pillows, although I often fall asleep halfway through chapters. :( I also like to read on a couch in a nice sunbeam, but I tend to fall asleep this way as well.

I also love to read in the tub, especially now that I have an ebook reader!

message 31: by Noah (new)

Noah Posthuma | 2 comments My newest favorite spot for reading is my bookchair, which can be seen here: antimonument.tumblr.com. I still like reading on the reclining couches we have because I can pet my cat, who is scared of my room because I dropped a sock on her about ten years ago over there.

message 32: by Allie (new)

Allie (alliemariepercy) | 2 comments Noah wrote: "My newest favorite spot for reading is my bookchair, which can be seen here: antimonument.tumblr.com. I still like reading on the reclining couches we have because I can pet my cat, who is scared o..."

Okay that is the best chair I have ever seen.

message 33: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (saiita) | 1 comments Aside from home, I usually read at family events after I get tired of small talk. I find that I read and become more engrossed in a story in that type of setting.

message 34: by Kane (new)

Kane | 6 comments when the weather is nice I like to bike around until I find a nice little park bench or a big tree. when it's not I like just curling up in bed with a pot of tea on the bedside table to keep me from nodding off.