ROBUST discussion

Members' Books > Announcing Teen Guide to Sex and Relationships

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Posner (mattposner) | 276 comments Coming this spring -- Teen Guide to Sex and Relationships by Matt Posner and Jess C. Scott.

Our FAQ from my website is posted below.

Teen Guide to Sex and Relationships by Matt Posner and Jess C. Scott will be published in Spring 2012.

Q. What is Teen Guide to Sex and Relationships?

A. It's a book that answers the important and confusing questions young people have about their bodies and their hearts. It's an advice book from two authors who care about young people and want to help them work through the tough issues that will be on their minds as they move through an emotionally complex time of their lives. Every question is answered in a conversational way, as if the author were sitting next to you speaking from the heart.

Q. How is the book written?

A. We wrote it in a question and answer format, just like what you're reading now. Each topic is answered by both authors so you can hear two different voices on the same issue. For every question, or for the book as a whole, you can decide whose voice you like better, or you can get two views and have a variety of ideas to help you decide what to do.

Q. How are the two voices different?

A. Jess C. Scott provides the female perspective. She's young, cool, supportive, and writes with both intellect and a lot of emotion. She's like your big sister who just got back from college with lots of new experiences to share. Matt Posner provides the male perspective. He's a teacher who's willing to make controversial statements that he thinks are in your best interest. He's kind of like that uncle you can trust not to tell your parents what you were talking about.

Q. Why did you write this book?

A. Around 2007-2008, Matt became frustrated with the restrictions on what he could say to his students about the topics of sex and relationships. He felt like he had lots of good ideas to share, but the classroom is a legally dangerous place to share them. He thought of writing a book, but he didn't have the right co-author, so the time wasn't right. Fast-forward to 2011. Matt was an independent author, and realized that his first friend in the business, Jess C. Scott, would be the perfect co-author. Jess, a professional nonconformist, has a fresh youthful view. She's a superb writer, and as an author of relationship-based erotica, Jess is clearly full of ideas on these topics.

Q. Who should read this book?

A. This book is suitable for all young people who have questions about sex and relationships. If you want to read something that isn't like a health textbook, that's like having advice from older people who care about you, then this is your book. The book is for girls and boys, straight and gay.

Q. Why is this book different from other sex and relationship books?

A. Every advice book is different because of the varying views of the people giving the advice. We think Teen Guide to Sex and Relationships is special because of our conversational tone, our caring attitudes, and the interplay between two different voices.

Q. What are your qualifications?

A. We're well-read and we're sincere. Neither of us is a doctor, counselor, or mental health professional. We're giving advice like a family member would.

Q. What are your biases?

A. We are both pro-choice. We respect religion, but we aren't writing from any religious perspective. Matt is more conservative about sexual behavior, but we both believe that close relationships are the basis for sexual activity. We are gay-friendly.

Q. What is your sexual orientation?

A. We're both heterosexual. (Jess is mostly straight, most of the time...).

Q. Doesn't telling teens about sex encourage them to have sex?

A. Both of us believe there is so much sexuality in American culture that every teen is on some level encouraged already. It is better for teens to be well-informed and make intelligent judgments than to trust to a lot of rumors and unrealistic nonsense that come their way from media, entertainment, and equally ill-informed peers. Our book explains what mature, adult sexuality is and provides a useful guide to entering that sexual world at the right time. We think that our readers will be less likely to make self-destructive decisions about sexuality.

Q. Can a teen reader come to you for personal advice?

A. No. We will have to refer you to adults in your life for that sort of thing. Talk to your parents, your doctor, your school counselor, or your clergyman. If you contact us with personal questions, all we can say is, "Thank you for your question. We'll try to respond to it in a future revised edition of Teen Guide." This isn't because we don't care about you; it's for legal reasons.

Q. What is the relationship between the authors?

A. We're business partners who have teamed for co-promotion in the past. This book is our first joint venture.

Q. Why is this book self-published?

A. We like the self-publishing model for now.

Q. How can we find out about your other writing?

A. Jess' website is http://www.jessink.com .

Matt's website (hosting this FAQ) is http://schooloftheages.webs.com .

We both have extensive web presence with many places to find out more about us and our writing.

message 2: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
For what age group would this be aimed at Matt?

I'll look out for it so do keep us posted as to availability. My two are fairly young, 9 and 11, and apart from finding one book (written by a lay preacher that sparingly throws scripture and religious doctrine into some of the chapters) has dealt with the basics very well. The only negative to this book is that it doesn't tackle relationships, just the usual where do babies come from and for each gender, why is my body changing.

Does yours include chapters on gay relationships?

message 3: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
Tweeted this. I'm thrillsjute on Twitter if anyone wants to go retweet it.

Also to Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=g...

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt Posner (mattposner) | 276 comments Thanks for tweeting, Andre. I need to follow you on twitter. Claudine, it's for teens. I think your kids are too young. The target market would be 13-18 I think. As for gay material -- we cover gay sexuality and social issues but we don't specify gay or straight in the relationship section which is for all sexual preferences.

message 5: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
I'll certainly keep an eye out for it. I'm constantly surprised at how well informed kids are these days, even when they are far too young.