ROBUST discussion

Reviews > A music review

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
http://lifeandstuffclaudine.blogspot....

I have always been irritated by the bagpipes. I don't like it, it sounds like a bunch of cats are being forcibly squeezed and made to make weird noises. However, while trawling around online for tribal African beat music, I came across a Scottish tribal band called Clanadonia. I fell in love. I bought their first cd online and it arrived yesterday in the mail. My kids have been begging for me not to play it again. Ever.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search...

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Claudine, I don't think that's music I'd want to listen to, but it's definitely an act I'd like to see. I think the visuals are a vital part of the whole act - taking you back to the Picts or Celts. I like it!

message 3: by Andre Jute (last edited Feb 28, 2012 04:19AM) (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
The Irish have bagpipes too, and every little town has two or three marching bagpipe and drum bands. I once wrote in the Irish Examiner that they should kept off the streets as they are public nuisance, and was nearly lynched...

message 4: by Claudine (new)

Before I started listening to this cd Andre I'd have applauded you. Now, more of the lynching would take place. I've heard some Irish pipes. I prefer the Scots pipes. I don't think I will go out and buy anymore of it though, apart from this band. It isn't the bagpipes, it is the drums. Way back in the early 90s I'd often go to a cafe called the Drum Cafe, where you could grab any of the small, medium and humungous African drums, join a circle and pound away. It was very therapeutic and something I miss. These drums remind me of the African drums.

message 5: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
Primal.

message 6: by Claudine (new)

Yes.