Hunger Games discussion

Misc. > Words in the "Olden Days"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How many ways can you spell one word? Personally, although not British, I looooooooove spelling colour and favourite with "u"'s! <3

Anyway, back then, like great great (plus some more) grandparents had their intelligence determined by how many ways you could spell one word! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I can't spell these any other way. That's what I'm proud of.

Onomatopoeia

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (charlie_awesome) | 2311 comments Mod
O.o

BOOM
BUZZZ
lol it's onomatopoeia

message 4: by Lauren, Head Gamemaker (new)

Lauren (laurengibson) | 3009 comments Mod
Grey.

message 5: by Lauren, Head Gamemaker (new)

So, uhm, just a question: What does this have to do with Hunger Games?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

No idea.

Who cares?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Nothing. Hense: misc.

Cat:
Cat
chat
kat
catt
khat

Idk. Just found it amusing...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Dog:
dawg.

message 10: by Lauren, Head Gamemaker (new)

Ok....

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I don't know if you made that history up. I'm not checking just in case because it's wonderful. So:

Peeta
Peetah
Peata
Pita
Pitah
P.E.T.A.
Petah
Peet-uh
Peter (with a Brittish accent)

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (godwithus) katniss catnis catniss katness katnes catnes catness u could also add in extra letters..

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

(I've seen all of these)

Katharine

Katherine

Catharine

Catherine

Kathryn

Cathrin

Cathrynne

Kathryin

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Primrose
Prymroose
Prymrows
Primrows
Primrous

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I love words.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

But I hate the English Language

Primniss wrote: "But I hate the English Language"

Me too!

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna (runnergurrl) | 38 comments it so confusing? WHY ARE THE E's ALWAYS SILENT? DON'T WE CARE ABOUT THEM???

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

WHAT ABOUT B'S? dumb! and subtle. I say the b in subtle, but most people say "no! it's pronounced suttle."

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

It is pronounced suttle...and lamb is a silent b too...

Oh, come on, guys. English is unique. It's the only language where some words aren't spelled like they sound. That makes it special, not hateable.

And debris!

It's annoying and stupid in my opinion

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Fine.

PATOIS. One of my favorite words of all time.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree Charlie. It's like: Here's a rule that ALWAYS works-oh, wait! You missed this question because you used that rule. It doesn't ALWAYS work. at least in math if there are any rules, they ALWAYS do have to be right...

Yes!

The whole e before I thing is so stupid there are so many exceptions

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

...do you guys take a second language?

French. And I hate it

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Y U NO TAKE ESPAÑOL?!

NO AND I LIVE IN A HISPANIC COMMUNITY. BUT I LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, cool :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry. I just love my Spanish teacher.

Cool. The language teachers in my school are all annoying

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Aw, that's sad :(

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh soooooo what's up with you?

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Contacts and ******y advisers.

An Extremely Avid Reader's Reviews (literarymary) Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "NO AND I LIVE IN A HISPANIC COMMUNITY. BUT I LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT"

My city is very diverse, too!

Marilyn wrote: "Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "NO AND I LIVE IN A HISPANIC COMMUNITY. BUT I LIKE TO BE DIFFERENT"

My city is very diverse, too!"

Coolio dude

Snickerdoodle wrote: "Contacts and ******y advisers."

Soory bout that

message 38: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (godwithus) UGH! my spanish teacher stinks! BORING! really,what do they expect! they teach us dumb stuff like dog/pero, or happy/contenta;o

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I bring back "No comment."

message 40: by An Extremely Avid Reader's Reviews (last edited Apr 06, 2012 04:54PM) (new)

An Extremely Avid Reader's Reviews (literarymary) Caroline wrote: "UGH! my spanish teacher stinks! BORING! really,what do they expect! they teach us dumb stuff like dog/pero, or happy/contenta;o"

I'm in Spanish II of high school Spanish...you don't know how useful it is until you get in into higher level Spanish. Those little words count because you could try to say one word but say a totally different word. Just by putting more stress on a letter, such as papa which is potato and papá which is dad. Or another is when you're trying to say mom (mamá) and you call her mama (I hope this doesn't offend you, but you would be calling her a boob if you don't stress the A).
It's just like how grammar saves lives. Stressing words in Spanish saves you from embarassment.

We don't learn ANYTHING in french I'm always so confused

message 42: by Lydia, I love PSYCH (new)

Lydia (lydiapatch) | 1015 comments Mod
:) my frend took french

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

According to everyone (you know, the general "everyone" that all teenagers understand) French gets easier while Spanish gets harder. Is that true?

message 44: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (godwithus) who knows, not me!;)

Snickerdoodle wrote: "According to everyone (you know, the general "everyone" that all teenagers understand) French gets easier while Spanish gets harder. Is that true?"

No, everyone (haha) says that French is just hard and for nerds and Spanish is easy and for losers (no offense) b/c in my school most people are Hispanic so taking Spanish is cheating

message 46: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn | 1 comments I am a little older than most of you, I gather :-) I began to take Spanish in middle school because that was the only foreign language available, and studied that until my junior year of high school. During my junior year, I began to take French independent study as well, and took a French class during my senior year. (I graduated from high school in 1984.)

In college, I took classes in Spanish, French, a year of Russian (which I have almost entirely forgotten, except for the Cyrillic alphabet) and Portuguese. Why Portuguese, you ask? Because I was planning to become a historian specializing in 20th-century Brazil, that's why. I continued to take Portuguese classes in grad school, but had to leave grad school because I became very ill.

And by the way, I am part Hispanic (mother's side) and part French-Canadian (father's side), but my parents are fluent in English only. Though when I looked at the 1940 census when it came out earlier this month, it stated that my father's "mother tongue" was *French*. Of course, he was only two months old when the census was taken! A genealogist specializing in the French-Canadian community in the US told me that my father must have learned French before he learned English, and then forgot what he learned when he became older. What little French my father speaks, he has a very good accent -- not your stereotypical American accent.

Je parle français comme une vache chinoise, mais je peux le lire et l'écrire assez bien. Hablo español con más freqüencia que francés, pero as vezes hablo portuñol -- la mezcla de español y portugués. (I speak French like a Chinese cow, but I can read and write it rather well. I speak Spanish more often than French, but sometimes I speak "Portuñol" -- the mixture of Spanish and Portuguese.)

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ BOLDER DASH!!!!!!

Katheryn wrote: "I am a little older than most of you, I gather :-) I began to take Spanish in middle school because that was the only foreign language available, and studied that until my junior year of high schoo..."

Cool. That's impressive

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Dang!

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ BOLDER DASH!!!!!!!!

« previous 1