You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > March 2012 - It's a Mystery! RESULTS POSTED

Comments (showing 1-50 of 190) (190 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Feb 29, 2012 07:47AM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 26951 comments It's a Mystery!

Is mystery one of your favorite genres? If so, here's your chance to indulge. Never really tried to read a who-don-it? The time is now!

The rules:

1. Read a book from the mystery genre between March 1 and 31st. No overlapping into neighboring months.

2. The book may be in any format - hardcover, paperback, ebook, or audiobook.

3. The book may not be combined with the March themed read.

Points are awarded as follows:

Genre:
5 points - Historical Mystery
4 points - Classic Mystery
3 points - Paranormal Mystery (includes ghost story)
2 points - Real Life Mystery
1 point - Contemporary Mystery

Theme:
5 points - police drama
4 points - archeology
3 points - missing person
2 points - theft
1 point - ghosts

Location/Setting:
5 points - Sweden
4 points - England
3 points - Egypt
2 points - Australia
1 point - these States: Alaska, Florida, or New York

Author:
5 points - last name starts with R, E, D
4 points - uses initials in the name
3 points - written by two authors
2 points - is American
1 point - is male

Title:
5 points - contains the word "Murder"
4 points - contains the word "Bones"
3 points - has the name of the sleuth in it (eg Miss Marples)
2 points - Is one word long

Cover:
5 points - is predominantly red
4 points - has a knife on it
3 points - has an animal on it
2 points - title is across the bottom of the page
1 point - has blood on it

Page Length:
200 - 299 pages - 1 point
300 - 399 pages - 2 points
400 - 499 pages - 3 points
500 - 599 pages - 4 points
600 or greater - 5 points

Stars Awarded by you:
5 stars - 5 points
4 stars - 4 points
3 stars - 3 points
2 stars - 2 points
1 star - 1 point

Bonus points:

Sherlock Holmes Month: Add 2 points if the book you chose is a Sherlock Homes case.
International Women's Month: Add 2 points if the protagonist is a woman.
Read an e-book week (Mar 4 - 10): Add 2 points if your book is in e-book format.
National Horse Protection Day (Mar 1): Add 2 points if there is a horse in the story.
St. Patrick's Day (Mar 17): 2 points for a green cover, the word green in the title, or green in the author's name.

We'll use this thread for reporting as well. Remember to link both the cover and name of the book you read.

Have fun!

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 26951 comments Here is a sample report.

The Snowman by Jo Nesbø The Snowman by Jo Nesbø.

Genre:
contemporary mystery - 1 pt

Theme:
police drama - 5 pts
missing person - 3 pts

Location - 0

Author:
male - 1 pt

Title - 0

Cover:
has blood on it - 1 pt

Pages:
400 - 3 pts

Stars:
4 stars - 4 pts

Bonus:
e-book format - 2 pts

Total points: 20 points

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 1585 comments Oooo awesome, will starting perusing my options as soon as I'm home :-)

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 26951 comments I made a small change to the Genre options. I combined Paranormal & Ghost story Mystery as one option and added Real Life Mystery.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Ooh I like this challenge :)
I'll be going to the library today so I'll peruse the mystery section.

message 6: by Snoozie Suzie (last edited Mar 01, 2012 09:03AM) (new)

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 937 comments I have a choice of Dark Matter Dark Matter by Michelle Paver a ghost story set in the Arctic, or Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. The first fits in with Around The World, but the latter was a Christmas present. I don't think I can do both this month as I have Sarah's Key and The Prince and the Pauper buddy reads this month and I still haven't finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, or The Lake Shore Limited which is part of my year long challenge! I also have Storyteller: The Life of Roald Dahl sitting borrowed from the library for the year challenge and that is 568 pages long. Phew.

message 7: by Kimberly (last edited Feb 28, 2012 11:38AM) (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I've decided that I'll be reading Mark of the Lion Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1) by Suzanne Arruda by Suzanne Arruda which is one of the boks I borrowed a few days ago from the library. It's a historical mystery set in my favourite continent, Africa. I really think the cover for it is gorgeous.

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Right up my street!

message 9: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Think I'll go for Snow Drops Snow Drops by A.D. Miller.

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1370 comments I'm going to choose Heartless Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger. And I may read another one if I have time this month. I do enjoy mysteries.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue Just one thing, isn't St Patrick's Day March 17th?

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber | 589 comments Ok, I'm once again going to attempt Mr. Peanut.

message 13: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7209 comments I think I'll try The Boy In The Suitcase.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Sue wrote: "Just one thing, isn't St Patrick's Day March 17th?"

Yes.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 26951 comments Sue wrote: "Just one thing, isn't St Patrick's Day March 17th?"

I was just testing you all to see if someone would catch it. (I wish!) LOL!

message 16: by KimM (new)

KimM I'm going to be reading: The House of Silk A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue Janice wrote: "Sue wrote: "Just one thing, isn't St Patrick's Day March 17th?"

I was just testing you all to see if someone would catch it. (I wish!) LOL!"

You just want more time to celebrate!

message 18: by Maria (last edited Feb 29, 2012 03:04PM) (new)

Maria (bibliophilefiles) Ok, darnit, you've got me. I have been putting off this book FOR-E-VER, so I guess it's a sign from the gods of the bookcase that I need to read this.

::SIGH:: I am doing this for you, book group. I hope you recognize the sacrifice.

I will be reading: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 26951 comments Maria wrote: "Ok, darnit, you've got me. I have been putting off this book FOR-E-VER, so I guess it's a sign from the gods of the bookcase that I need to read this.

::SIGH:: I am doing this for you, book group...."

Hooked, pulled in, and sunk! Glad you are going to join us, Maria.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue Not sure if I can...already reading 4 books and realize I have 2 more that start with the beginning of March. Of course none are mysteries.

message 21: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7209 comments Maria wrote: "Ok, darnit, you've got me. I have been putting off this book FOR-E-VER, so I guess it's a sign from the gods of the bookcase that I need to read this.

I appreciate your sacrifice!☺

With this book, you will never regret it.

message 22: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Maria wrote: "Ok, darnit, you've got me. I have been putting off this book FOR-E-VER, so I guess it's a sign from the gods of the bookcase that I need to read this.

Maria, I am currently reading it, too. :-)Rather wordy, but not boring IMO.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Almeta wrote: "Maria wrote: "Ok, darnit, you've got me. I have been putting off this book FOR-E-VER, so I guess it's a sign from the gods of the bookcase that I need to read this.

::SIGH:: I am doing this for ..."

LOL!

message 24: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 2856 comments I am up!

message 25: by Srinivas (new)

Srinivas (21stnomad) i am in..

message 26: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 1585 comments I am dancing...

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I'm gonna get, like, no points, but I'm reading The Lenient Beast by Fredric Brown. He's one of my favorite SF authors, but he also wrote good pulp mysteries.

message 28: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1370 comments Gaeta1 wrote: "I am reading Unnatural Fire, which I whined and pined for when it was only a UK book, downloaded it on my e-reader when it was finally available...and never got around to reading."

I've done that so many times. I think the energy spent being excited interferes with my ability to transfer to reading the book.

message 29: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1370 comments Maria wrote: "Ok, darnit, you've got me. I have been putting off this book FOR-E-VER, so I guess it's a sign from the gods of the bookcase that I need to read this.

The name of the Rose is quite good. I really enjoyed it.

message 30: by Anne (last edited Mar 01, 2012 05:13PM) (new)

Anne (reachannereach) I will be reading Defending Jacob: A Novel. It won't earn too many points (except for the page length - over 400!), but I've heard such good things about it and my library just got it in, so this is my March mystery pick.

message 31: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Anne wrote: "I will be reading Defending Jacob: A Novel. It won't earn too many points (except for the page length - over 400!), but I've heard such good things about it and my library just got..."

I've seen several good reviews for this.

message 32: by Anne (new)

Anne (reachannereach) Me too, Judy.

message 33: by Allison (new)

Allison (Brubs23) I will be reading Faceless Killers

message 34: by Alison (last edited Mar 02, 2012 01:23PM) (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments My report on Snow Drops Snow Drops by A.D. Miller. Review is here http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... .
Missing person: 3
Theft: 2
Author uses initials: 4
Author male: 1
Gave it 3*: 3
Page length: 1
Total= 14

message 35: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 937 comments Alison wrote: "My report on Snow DropsSnow Drops by A.D. Miller. Review is here http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... .
Missing person: 3
Theft: 2
Author us..."

Goodness me, you were quick off the mark there. *green eyes*

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 26951 comments One day into the challenge and you're done already!!

Add one more point Alison. I tallied that up to 15.

message 37: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Janice wrote: "One day into the challenge and you're done already!!

Add one more point Alison. I tallied that up to 15."

OMG I'm so embarrassed, I can't even count anymore!

message 38: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7209 comments The Boy In The Suitcase The Boy In The Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl by Lene Kaaberbøl and Agnete Friis

Genre:

Theme:
3 points - missing person

Location/Setting:
0 points - Denmark

Author:
3 points - written by two authors

Title:
0 points

Cover:
0 points

Page Length:
300 - 399 pages - 2 points

Stars Awarded by you:
5 stars - 5 points

Bonus points:
International Women's Month: Add 2 points if the protagonist is a woman.

St. Patrick's Day (Mar 17): 2 points for a green cover.

18 points

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 26951 comments Great selection, Almeta. I've added it to my wishlist. :)

message 40: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments I love a Scandi mysteri. I'll add this to my list too.

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 26951 comments Alison wrote: "I love a Scandi mysteri. I'll add this to my list too."

I'm currently listening to Jo Nesbo's The Snowman. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

message 42: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) The Lenient Beast, by Fredric Brown. The Lenient Beast by Fredric Brown.

Theme:
5 points - police drama

Author:
2 points - is American
1 point - is male

Stars Awarded by you:
5 stars - 5 points

no bonuses
14 points

Really a clever and provocative novella, written as a 'pulp' and would make a good movie or tv show, but better quality than one would expect. Rich characters and real themes, as well as a clever, almost sympathetic, criminal and an even smarter, and wiser, detective. Tucson, AZ, 1956.

message 43: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 937 comments I have just finished Dark Matter Dark Matter by Michelle Paver and I rather enjoyed it. Although It is another book set in the never-ending darkness it didn't affect me like Snow Angels did.

I'll link my review here when I have written it, but scoring wise:
Genre 3 ghost story
Cover 3 birds on it
Length 1 200-299 pages
My rating 3
TOTAL 10

The very beginning of the book takes place in England but I haven't counted this as it is only a matter of 10 pages at the start of the book. It wouldn't be a winning score if I did include it so it doesnt matter. The book is set in 1937 but is not historical fiction, it could have bet set 20 years ago and the only thing that would be different IMO is the technology and equipment would be more up-to-date.

My first ghost story in a long time, I picked it up at the library as the cover and title caught my eye. Pleasantly satisfied, but not a real page turner for me.

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 26951 comments It's March 4th and we have 4 people who have completed the challenge already!

message 45: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Maria wrote: "Ok, darnit, you've got me. I have been putting off this book FOR-E-VER, so I guess it's a sign from the gods of the bookcase that I need to read this.

It's a great book - glad you got he push you needed!

message 46: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 1585 comments I've finally got it, I'm reading The Hidden Child for this one :-)

message 47: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennaczaplewski) I'm in! Reading: A Novel Bookstore by Laurence Cossé.

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Brown | 126 comments UGH... didn't even finish my book for the February challenge. Too much going on... went from reading 6 books in January to ZERO in February! I'm tryign this again. Will see what is on my kindle that fits! :)

message 49: by Almeta (last edited Mar 05, 2012 11:40AM) (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 7209 comments Jenna wrote: "I'm in! Reading: A Novel Bookstore by Laurence Cossé."

Wow!!! Did you read Elizabeth's review? It should be framed somewhere!!!

Thank you for listing this book as a choice. I will be reading this book, I know that I want to read more of Elizabeth's reviews.

message 50: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (Paperrdolls) | 122 comments i believe you gals are forcing me to organize my gr bookshelves for these challenges.. I hope your proud of yourselves! i loathe organizing.. However i LOVE organization..

« previous 1 3 4

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Snowman (other topics)
Sarah's Key (other topics)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (other topics)
Dark Matter (other topics)
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jo Nesbø (other topics)
Suzanne Arruda (other topics)
Fredric Brown (other topics)
Lene Kaaberbøl (other topics)
Agnete Friis (other topics)
More...