The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 25.8. Helen's Task: Science Fiction and Fantasy Award Winners/Nominees

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 28, 2012 07:46AM) (new)

Sandy | 16195 comments Mod
25.8. Helen's Task: Science Fiction and Fantasy Award Winners/Nominees

For the spring challenge, I want to share award winners/nominees from two of my favorite genre's: Science Fiction and Fantasy. For this task, select an award winner or nominee book from each of the following categories. REQUIRED: Post the name of the book, the author, the year and whether the book was the award winner or nominee.

Category 1: HUGO AWARD for Best Novel -- awarded yearly by the World Science Fiction Society. "Retro Hugos" are included.
Hugo Awards
Category 2: NEBULA AWARD for Best Novel -- awarded yearly by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. Nebula Awards

Sci/Fi and Fantasy deal with the supernatural and magic. For this task, you can acquire some of that magic with a little research. A few of the books are listed on both lists. If you read one of those, you can use the same book for both categories -- magically turning two into one. However, you must list the book twice and provide the pertinent information for each category.

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Reserved

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Reserved

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments ohhh i like the twist ;) and I think I know what book i'm going to use

message 5: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Oooh, sneaky! I love it! LOL

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments I know what I'm going to read already and I feel like I just was able to cross one book of my massive list!

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments i love how none of us are asking about books...lol!

message 8: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Dee wrote: "i love how none of us are asking about books...lol!"

i think none of us wants to give away the secret!!

message 9: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments I think it's part of the fun of the task!

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments lol...the fun for me is going to be finding the book in the pile...hehe!

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments as i turn around and apparently its one of the few that i've actually put on the shelf...lol!

message 12: by Donna Jo (last edited Feb 28, 2012 06:29PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I'm so jealous, Dee. I am looking for a book (perfect for another task) that I know I saw a month or two ago and I cannot find it. The search is complicated by have books on three floors and in every room of this house. Okay, everyone, it's a thin blue book. I'll bake goodies for anyone who comes over and finds it for me.
Sorry for hijacking your space Helen--but entering my house is kind of a space/time warp so it kind of fits.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments lol!!! I had to go and buy another bookcase to put stuff on in my spare room after I hit up the borders going out of business sale...that makes 4 bookshelves that are stacked 2 high with MMPB and 2 deep...and then another stack on my DVD shelf

message 14: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Well, I have 5 7ft tall oak (as in heavy) in the basement crammed full. and a floor to ceiling 4 ft wide next to the fireplace in the living room. Plus two short ones in two of the bedroom. A couple years ago I bought another one for the living room, but one shelf of that is reserved for library books. For a long time my basement stairs were lined on one side, but I have moved all those books on down to the basement, although they are just piled up or sitting in plastic milk cartons. I feel like one of those bad tv shows about hoarders or something.

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments I'm impressed that you reserve an actual shelf for library books, Donna Jo. I should do that...library books tend to get scattered around my house because they're temporary and it drives my husband BONKERS!

message 16: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments I have you all beat on book space! Rented a storage unit when I moved to a condo from my house. Half is full of my books. Have a large bookcase in my condo and keep rotating from my storage space to the condo. Keeps hubby from getting grumpy about stacks of books and keeps me touching and sorting books all the time. I think I have found the best of both worlds.

Interesting Donna Jo - I also keep one shelf for library books also. That way, I can keep track of them.

message 17: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments By the way, the two for one special at the end is part of the fun of the task. I am chuckling that all of you are keeping your special finds secret.

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I have four bookshelves, an entertainment bookshelf and a nightstand bookshelf full of books

message 19: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments How can a book be categorized as young adult and adult at the same time?

message 20: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4083 comments Oh, my goodness, Helen. The two books I had picked out turn out to be on both lists!

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16195 comments Mod
Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "How can a book be categorized as young adult and adult at the same time?"

Because all the genres are based on the shelves that GR users decided to use for the books. So, some users call it YA, some call it adult.

message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Bea wrote: "Oh, my goodness, Helen. The two books I had picked out turn out to be on both lists!"

Great job -- see the value of a little research!! Maybe one of the books could be used for another task.

message 23: by Helen (last edited Feb 29, 2012 06:44AM) (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "How can a book be categorized as young adult and adult at the same time?"

Sandy answered this question very diplomatically. Thank you Sandy.

I would have answered (much less diplomatically) by saying that we are all human and can barely agree on anything. Ergo, lot's of conflicting definitions of genre's for each book.

A little more diplomatically, a lot of books are "crossovers" -- can be used in multiple genre's.

message 24: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 156 comments Dee wrote: "lol!!! I had to go and buy another bookcase to put stuff on in my spare room after I hit up the borders going out of business sale...that makes 4 bookshelves that are stacked 2 high with MMPB and ..."

Dee, I not only have your home space problems, but I have to buy a 3rd Kindle because I now have over 6000 ebooks! (Most of them are freebies).

message 25: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Luckngrace wrote: "Dee wrote: "lol!!! I had to go and buy another bookcase to put stuff on in my spare room after I hit up the borders going out of business sale...that makes 4 bookshelves that are stacked 2 high wi..."

I am awaiting for a 2nd Kindle in April (can I wait that long lol) x

message 26: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Luckngrace wrote: "I have to buy a 3rd Kindle because I now have over 6000 ebooks! (Most of them are freebies).
"

I thought I was bad with my Sony Reader--and I have the Kindle AND the Nook apps on my computer--spreading the wealth around, I guess.

message 27: by Luckngrace (last edited Mar 01, 2012 02:35PM) (new)

Luckngrace | 156 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Luckngrace wrote: "Dee wrote: "lol!!! I had to go and buy another bookcase to put stuff on in my spare room after I hit up the borders going out of business sale...that makes 4 bookshelves that ar..."

I got the Amazon Rewards Visa and got my last Kindle with points. Wheee! Free books, now free Kindle; who can beat that? Besides, I can't seem to keep them charged. I'm always reading and downloading.