The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Important Items > And the Winners Are! for March/April 2012 Group reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 14, 2012 02:53PM) (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
It's time for nominations for the March/April 2012 Group Reads.

Nominations will be open through Wednesday March 7, 2012.

Category 1: Open - a book from any category in the Mystery, Crime and Thriller genre.

Category 2: In honor of the upcoming International Woman's Day - any mystery, crime or thriller written by a woman.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be the discussion moderator.
2) If the nominator, for any reason, cannot lead the discussion, the winner will be the second place book.
3) One (1) nomination only per person. Authors: no self-nominations, please.
4) Please do not repeat an author we have read in the last year.
5) For your nomination please indicate: Category, Title, Author and Link (use the "add book/author" link at top of comment box).

Since we are an international group, please check to make sure the book is readily available. Is it available in paperback? Used? Your local library? The last thing we want is to nominate a great book that no one can get!

Finally, a word about series - the joy or bane of a mystery reader’s life! Please consider whether the book you are nominating would be best read by someone who has read all the previous books in the series or can be enjoyed by someone new to the series too.

And the Winners Are!
Category 1 - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre

Category 2 - The Red Dahlia by Lynda La Plante

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) I would like to nominate for Category 1: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

message 3: by Jannene (last edited Mar 05, 2012 06:02PM) (new)

Jannene | 771 comments I would like to nominate Orchid Beach by Stuart Woods for category 1.

message 4: by Isil (new)

Isil (lillymarlin) For category 1, I'd ike to nominate Maxime Chattam for L'âme du Mal.

message 5: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi, Isil. I don't see an English translation for that. Do you know the title?

message 7: by Sooze10 (new)

Sooze10 | 7 comments I would like to nominate Absolute Instinct by Robert W Walker.Absolute Instinct

message 8: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 33 comments I would like to Nominate Case Histories by Kate Atkinson for Category 2.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevn57) I'd like to nominate Bimbos of the Death Sun (Jay Omega, #1) by Sharyn McCrumb by Sharyn McCrumb for Category 2. It's a funny mystery set at a SF convention.

message 10: by Mago (new)

Mago (Mark) | 8 comments Category 1 Sleepyhead by Mark Billingham a good excuse to start on a new series.

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1612 comments I would like to nominate Miracle Cure by Harlan Coben

message 12: by John (new)

John (johnarthoff) | 1 comments I'd like to nominateThe Devotion of Suspect Xby Keigo Higashino for Category 1.

message 13: by Isil (new)

Isil (lillymarlin) Hayes wrote: "Hi, Isil. I don't see an English translation for that. Do you know the title?"

Unfortunately I could not find it. Maybe it was not translated to english??? that would be a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig pity :(

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1612 comments Did you find the book called miracle cure by harlan coben?

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1612 comments Oh thanks for putting that picture up of my favorite book

message 17: by Charles (last edited Feb 29, 2012 07:02AM) (new)

Charles Either category. Anna K Green, The Leavenworth Case, 1879 (availlable online). Green’s detective, Mr. Gryce, collects the qualities of his predecessors (Bucket, Cuff, Lecoq) in a human-scale character recognizably Holmesian. There is a Chronicler, but unlike Watson he intrudes as a competing detective. The story is a melodrama about false accusation, vulnerable femininity, and the dangers of love, with a strong mixture of class feeling.The Leavenworth Case

message 18: by Manugw (new)

Manugw For category 1 I nominate The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen

For category 2 I nominate A Trick of the Light byLouise Penny

message 19: by Donna, Co-Moderator (last edited Feb 29, 2012 07:17AM) (new)

Hi Manugw. We don't repeat an author we've read in the last 12 months and we read a Louise Penny a few months ago so I'll just skip that nomination and keep the Jussi Adler-Olsen nomination for category 1.

message 20: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (llooloo) For category 2 - Catering to Nobody

message 21: by Jan (last edited Feb 29, 2012 07:43AM) (new)

message 22: by Brielle (new)

Brielle (13brielle) | 4 comments Mystery, Murder on the Orient Express, Agatha Christie
Murder on the Orient Express

message 23: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Brielle, We just did Agatha Christie for the December author fest and we don't repeat an author we've read in the last 12 months. Would you like to nominate something else?

message 24: by Betty (new)

Betty (bethoff) | 3 comments For Category 2,

Judas Child by Carol O'Connell

message 25: by Kimberley (last edited Feb 29, 2012 08:59AM) (new)

Kimberley Johnson (arkkimberley) | 2 comments I would like to nominate Dreams and Nightmares by Ann Werner for either category .

Dreams and Nightmares by Ann Werner

message 26: by Marina (new)

Marina | 5 comments I would like to nominate for category 1:
Too close to home- Linwood Barclay
Too Close To Home by Linwood Barclay

message 27: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "Oh thanks for putting that picture up of my favorite book"

If you use the "add book/author" link, you can find it too, Christine. If you need help with that you can look in the Techno Corner folder.

message 28: by Daniela (new)

Daniela (danielaw) | 1 comments Category 1 - Written in Bone By Simon Beckett

message 29: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Johnson (booksinkandpaper) | 0 comments I would love to nominate Them Bones by Carolyn Haines for category 2. She's a wonderful person and her books are fun and well crafted. Them BonesThem Bones

message 30: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Johnson (booksinkandpaper) | 0 comments Sorry - the HTML add for book covers wasn't working well today! It has been that kind of day for me!

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee (rys00) | 252 comments For category 2, I nominate Freezing by Clea Koff.

message 32: by Cyn (RaeWhit) (new)

Cyn (RaeWhit) For Cat 2, I'd like to nominate Tana French's The Likeness. Although this is the second in a series, it does perfectly as a stand-alone novel.

message 33: by Harlow (new)

Harlow Drake (harlow_drake) | 18 comments Jonathan wrote: "I would like to nominate for Category 1: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"

@Jonathan, I'll second that nomination for Category 1.

message 34: by Harlow (new)

Harlow Drake (harlow_drake) | 18 comments Cyn (RaeWhit) wrote: "For Cat 2, I'd like to nominate Tana French's The Likeness. Although this is the second in a series, it does perfectly as a stand-alone novel."

@Cyn, I'll second that nomination for Tana French's The Likeness for Cat 2.

message 35: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Harlow, We'll be voting on the nominations next week. You'll get an email when the polls are set up.

Glad you liked both books.

message 36: by Manugw (new)

Manugw Ok, sorry I did not know

Donna wrote: "Hi Manugw. We don't repeat an author we've read in the last 12 months and we read a Louise Penny a few months ago so I'll just skip that nomination and keep the Jussi Adler-Olsen nomination for cat..."

message 37: by Erin (new)

Erin | 65 comments Category 2: Watch Me Die by Erica Spindler.

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol | 152 comments Category 2: From Doon With Death by Ruth Rendell. This is the first of the Inspector Wexford series.

message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 5 comments Category 2 Zero Balance by Ashley Fontainne This would be the second book in the "Eviscerating the Snake" series

message 40: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Magallanes | 20 comments I would like to nominate The Dark Before Dawn for either Category 1 or Category 2.The Dark Before Dawn

message 41: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 137 comments I nominate for Cat 2 Silent Mercy (Alexandra Cooper, #13) by Linda Fairstein by Linda Fairstein.

message 42: by Jeanie (last edited Feb 29, 2012 04:14PM) (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Category 2: A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak, #1) by Dana Stabenow by Dana Stabenow

message 43: by Casey (new)

Casey | 11 comments Thirteen million dollar pop by David Levein for catagory 1.

message 44: by Joan (new)

Joan Young (sharkbytes) | 23 comments category 2, News from Dead Mule Swamp by Joan H. Young News from Dead Mule Swamp (Anastasia Raven, #1) by Joan H. Young

message 45: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne I would like to nominate The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe
The Calling

message 46: by Mina (new)

Mina | 1 comments Category 2, Scrapbook by Aimee Conner

message 47: by Lisa (last edited Mar 01, 2012 12:58AM) (new)

Lisa I would like to nominate Sleepyhead by Mark Billingham for Category 1

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I would like the nominate The Red Dahlia by Lynda La Plante for category 2

message 49: by Steven (new)

Steven Bolguese (SBolguese) | 2 comments First timer here. Do we recommend books we've already read or books we think sound interesting? I'd recommend The God Complex by Chris Titus, but I've already read it and am looking to reading something new. If it's the latter, I would second the nomination for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy since I've not read that and think it sounds worth the investment.

message 50: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Steven wrote: "First timer here. Do we recommend books we've already read or books we think sound interesting? I'd recommend The God Complex by Chris Titus, but I've already read it and am looki..."

Hi Steven, It's really up to you whether you nominate something you've read or want to read. The important thing to remember is if your nomination is chosen as the group read you will lead the discussion.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.