Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Grocery Shopping - Chore or enjoyment: What's on Your Grocery List Today?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments My wife abhors grocery shopping, but I quite enjoy it. How do you feel about it?

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 292 comments I like it if it's a small store like Kroger, wal-mart? No thank you! (shame it's cheaper)

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
I like it. Sweeter won't let me do it, however, because I don't know how to follow the list and stick to a budget.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24259 comments Mod
I don't love it, and don't hate it. It always makes me feel conflicted. I feel guilty buying things that cost too much or are empty calories, but I feel bored when everything in the basket is the same stuff I always get.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Jim, give us a typical grocery list for your household.

message 6: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments I love grocery shopping, but I hate the anxiety I get when I have to pay for things.

message 7: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Grocery shopping relaxes me. It helps that I have the time to walk to the store.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Repetitive tasks are karma yoga. Chopping wood, carrying water -- the daily functions of maintaining life with mindfulness and focus.

I am . . .

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Jim, give us a typical grocery list for your household."

I'm not sure that we have a typical grocery list. The items that are on the list consistently are milk, eggs, bread, yogurt, bananas. We seem to rotate through different fruits and vegetables. We buy meat if we see something we like on sale, otherwise we wait for the locker plant to have a sale or buy a split side. We buy cheese when it is on sale, but will also go to the cheese store and buy it. The rest really depends on what we are planning on having for meals for the next couple of weeks.

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 241 comments I don't mind the shopping, as I like to cook and especially bake, however, I don't like the paying bit. I always think to myself; "If no one had to eat, do you know how many shoes I could buy with this money that gets pooped out".

message 11: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I hate grocery shopping.

message 12: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Feb 28, 2012 08:10AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments I enjoy it. I usually manage to uncork a beer (Rolling Rock with the twist-off cap) on the sly from the dollar-per-bottle-mix-and-match freezer and drink it while shopping then pay for it up front while checking out. Our neighbor is one of the cashiers so she lets me slide.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't mind grocery shopping, especially when there are free samples out. I get a lot of my produce and dairy at a farmer's market, so that's always fun.
On my list for the actual store:
frozen veggies
beans (canned or dried depends on the store)
avocado
oranges
pasta
tofu
some kind of fake meat
granola
hummus
bread or tortillas
maybe a sauce or a dressing if there's something that catches my eye

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 241 comments Clark wrote: "I enjoy it. I usually manage to uncork a beer (Rolling Rock with the twist-off cap) on the sly from the dollar-per-bottle-mix-and-match freezer and drink it while shopping then pay for it up front..."

Maybe I would enjoy it more if I followed in your footsteps!

message 15: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Chore.

message 16: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Feb 28, 2012 11:34AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Cortney wrote: "Clark wrote: "I enjoy it. I usually manage to uncork a beer (Rolling Rock with the twist-off cap) on the sly from the dollar-per-bottle-mix-and-match freezer and drink it while shopping then pay f..."

To be honest, I don't mind grocery shopping even without the suds. There is something strangely calming about it, although I do get pissed if I have to take a number and wait in line at the deli counter because I usually end up behind the hausfrau who wants a side of beef or a whole hog sliced up thin. For sandwiches.

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7125 comments Clark wrote: "I enjoy it. I usually manage to uncork a beer (Rolling Rock with the twist-off cap) on the sly from the dollar-per-bottle-mix-and-match freezer and drink it while shopping then pay for it up front..."

HA!!

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I shop often because the store is only 2 minutes from my house. So the only things I buy every single time I shop (as distinct from staples which are always in the kitchen, such as coffee, nondairy creamer, and dried pasta) are probably:

rice and/or couscous
fresh or frozen vegetables

I go through a lot of rice and vegetables.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Our grocery list always, always has eggs, cottage cheese, string cheese and milk on it. Always.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Always? You're sure about that?

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Let me check with Sweeter.

yes, he says yes. Plus craisins and instant oatmeal.

message 22: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments WTF is with the loud music in the grocery store? I'm there to get some food, not have a nightclub experience. It's torture and when I get fabulously rich, I'll send the help out for my milk and beer. Worse yet, they took all The News of the World away from the check out stand. Bat Boy, where are you?

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 292 comments BunWat wrote: "Recent Grocery List;
Teabags
half and half
greek yogurt
yellow onions
chard
sweet potato
Chicken
bread
spinach
garlic
udon noodles
cookies"

Oh that's funny!!! Other than the greek yogurt (which I hate the taste of!) we basically had the same list!! :)

message 24: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 292 comments Earl grey, you?

message 25: by evie (last edited Feb 29, 2012 02:25AM) (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments I love Greek yoghurt and Earl Grey tea.

We always have both items on our list.

message 26: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Things I probably buy most often:

Fruit
Frozen fruit (raspberries, blueberries, any kind of berries that isn't strawberries)
Bread
Muesli
Yoghurt
Vegetables
Apple spread (I like to have different kinds, 4 at the moment)
Eggs
Some kind of meat or non-meat
Pasta/rice/noodles
Tea (green, always green)

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7125 comments I love my local grocery store. This week they are having a tropical sale. Mangoes are 50 cents! They are playing this fabulous steel drum Carribean music. It makes me want to dance with the seafood men.

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 74 comments LOVE it!!! If I dont have a list then it is ADD at its best getting everything except the one very thing I went there for. I enjoy the sales, especially the ones I dont know about, constant surprises!

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I LOOOVE grocery shopping. :)

Usually regularly on my list:

Stonyfield Organic lowfat yogurt, plain
eggs
lemons
lettuce
spinach
cucumbers
some kind of veggie
onion
garlic
granny smith apples
avocado
parsley
beans
brown rice
some kind of meat that I can cook
spring water
treats for Robby

I love to window shop the coffee, tea, and spices section. That's where I luxuriate.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Heidi wrote: "I LOOOVE grocery shopping. :)

Usually regularly on my list:

Stonyfield Organic lowfat yogurt, plain
eggs
lemons
lettuce
spinach
cucumbers
some kind of veggie
onion
garlic
granny smith apples
avo..."

I love a good Granny Smith apple.

message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 292 comments BunWat wrote: "Linda wrote: "Earl grey, you?"

Darjeeling."

OOH, I love Darjeeling! I haven't had any in a while though, must pick up some :)

message 32: by Heidi (last edited Mar 01, 2012 12:10PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Linda wrote: "BunWat wrote: "Linda wrote: "Earl grey, you?"

Darjeeling."

OOH, I love Darjeeling! I haven't had any in a while though, must pick up some :)"

I love both (most esp. the bergamot). One of my all-time faves is Stash Earl Grey Double Bergamot. Right now, I'm on a Stash Peppermint kick. Pure heaven.

message 33: by Heidi (last edited Mar 01, 2012 01:09PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments BunWat wrote: "and I don't like bergamot, so no
Earl Grey for me thanks. More for others."

MINE! I'll take your portion too, TawNub! :D

Even if it's just to smell it while it's steeping, I'm a happy girl.

message 34: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments We have peppermint tea in our stash. It relieves indigestion and stomach ache.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments evie wrote: "We have peppermint tea in our stash. It relieves indigestion and stomach ache."

Ginger tea is good for that too, though I like the taste of mint tea better.

message 36: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "evie wrote: "We have peppermint tea in our stash. It relieves indigestion and stomach ache."

Ginger tea is good for that too, though I like the taste of mint tea better."

Yes, your right. Mr evie buys a tub of sugar dusted ginger pieces from the fruit shop each week. Does the trick.
Ginger jam is also yummy. So is ginger wine.

message 37: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Her right what?

message 38: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments Yeah I know. You're right. Sorry.

message 39: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments Amongst other items, I need twenty four cans of cat food and two 10 kilo bags of cat litter. It's raining, it's Saturday morning, so I'm doing an on-line order today.

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I was sorely tempted by a loaf of $7 blueberry cinnamon bread tonight....it looked encrusted with sugar. I resisted. Because of the $7, not the sugar.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Dec 19, 2016 08:34PM) (new)

Heidi wrote: "Right now, I'm on a Stash Peppermint kick. Pure heaven.."

Yeah....I had this somewhere, not sure where. My doctor's waiting room maybe? 'Twas good. I am really into the mint teas, especially peppermint. 5-6 years ago it was chamomile and that "Sweet Dreams" stuff (by Bigelow), but now all I want is peppermint tea when I want tea.

message 42: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I did not know a Napa cabbage was going to cost more than $8.

message 43: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments Avoid shopping until it's unavoidable. What's fun about grocery shopping?