The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Newbie from New England

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Howard (wwwshirleyannhowardcom) | 2 comments I've been reading since I could walk to the library and carry home an armload of books. Majored in English in college and taught for many years. Of late, I've been disappointed with some of what I've read... thinking oh why did the main character do that... or what a stupid ending... so I've started doing a little writing of my own. What a liberating experience! I can make anybody do anything in this little world I've created. Why I even gave one of my characters 10 million dollars.

message 2: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Welcome Shirley!!!

message 3: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Hi shirley, I really liked what you write and think that Fiona is right. Most of the times the books I read I like and on GR it means a 3 stars. Liked them, enjoyed them and that's it. Then there are those books that make me really enjoy them, have a really good time and get four stars. But then, once in a while...a treasure gets into my hands...and that's what make it worth to read all the other ones too.

You will fit in right away Shirley and we are going to present you with so many books that for sure you are going to feel the pleasure of reading!!!

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Hi Shirley....
Glad to hear you are writing. I wish it was something I could do.
Welcome to the group!

btw, you arent the same shirley that posted in the Group Reads thread were you? It was a strange post. Not related the topic at all, so I deleted it, thinking it was a spam post. Sorry if it was yours.

(what a way to say welcome to a new member, huh)
(hides herself bashfully)

message 6: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Welcome Shirley !

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Welcome to the group, Shirley, from a fellow New Englander! I too am attempting to dabble in writing in my free time (hahaha...free time!) And I also LOVED Stephen King's On Writing! I'm sure you'll find some wonderful book recommendations through this group!

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Welcome Shirley - and welcome to the world of writing (I don't write but my husband does and I know how important it is - and yes you do get to play God which is ... I'm sure... why he does it ;-)

I lived in Vermont for 7 years - I love New England.

Welcome to the group and if you ever get to a point where you are ready to submit some of your writing - send me a message I have a lot of tips that I can give you to help you with the publishing side.

Robin.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Welcome to the group.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello & welcome to the group!

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2 comments Hello there,
I too am a newbie from New England (Ct actually). I have joined Goodreads to organize what books I have read and to see what others are reading. I have been entertaining the idea of writing (for years) and I am currently reading "On Writing" by Stephen King. I have recently fallen back in love with the library. I remember as a kid the wonderful feeling of an arm full of books on a Saturday morning and having all weekend to read. With the current economy I have been enjoying the ability to read like crazy without spending money. This is much to the dismay of Borders Books who keep sending me "please come back" emails.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Heidi -- Loved your comment! I too am a library geek! And although Borders doesn't see me every day (the closest store is half an hour away), when they do see me, they aren't too worried about not seeing me for another month, because I always leave with at least two FULL bags! *L* I'm trying to be better about keeping my splurges to library "rental" splurges! But I just can't get enough books! Now if I could just get more time to read...
And welcome to you, too, from a cold northern neighbor(NH)...I love New England, but despise this cold!!

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Welcome to the group Shirley and Heidi! I'm from New England as well...from CT like Heidi.

message 14: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments Welcome Shirley and Heidi.

message 15: by Lisa Julianna (last edited Dec 07, 2008 06:27PM) (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Heidi and Welcome!!!

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Welcome Heidi - and a re-nod to Shirley.

Robin.

message 17: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi shirley, and everyone else too!!
welcome to reading central!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi from old England.

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 133 comments Hey Shirley and Heidi! Welcome to the group!! I wish I loved to write...

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hi Heidi and Shirley! I love New England, and especially their beautiful libraries. They are a wonder! Welcome!