A History of Royals discussion

Archive - Open Reads > March 2012 - The Windsors Reviews

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
Another month of fascinating Royalty Reading. Let us know what you think of the Windsor related books that you have read this month. Remember, every review gets you a chance to pick our next Open Reads topic.

message 2: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I finished The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy over the weekend. I very much enjoyed it. Most of my royalty reading focuses on the 15th, 16th, and 18th centuries so it's nice to get out of my comfort zone from time to time and read something new. I was very interested in reading more of the story of George VI and Lionel Logue after seeing the movie and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to try the book.

I gave the book 4 stars. The book reads like a double biography of King George VI and his speech therapist, Lionel Logue. Both men get equal coverage in the book. Its quite a fascinating look into the emerging field of speech therapy as well as the British monarchy leading up to mid-20th century. It does a good job of explaining the need for the monarch to be able to address his/her people not only in person but over the air especially in times of trouble and upheaval, such as the Great Depression and World War II. The pictures, the diary entries, and the letters added so much to the book.

The book was pretty good. I had one problem with it however. The organization of the book was problematic. It jumped all over the place chronologically, so it was hard to tell when things were happening. It was a little frustrating. I enjoyed the book though and highly recommend it to anyone who watched the movie and wants to know the full story behind it.