A History of Royals discussion

Archive - Open Reads > March 2012 - The Windsors - What will you read

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
The pick for March is the Windsors -- namely English royalty from the reigns of George V to the current queen, Elizabeth II. A big thanks to Rebecca for the pick!

message 3: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Thanks so much for the list, Rebecca. I am going to peruse, see which ones the library has, and make a choice. This is sort of a new area for me as I am more versed in the monarchies of the older time periods, so I am really looking forward to this.

message 4: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Would The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy be acceptable for this month's topic?

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 71 comments Oh yes! And it's very good too.

message 6: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Rebecca wrote: "Oh yes! And it's very good too."

Great! I watched the movie and LOVED it!

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 71 comments Namely, this covers just about anything to do with the Royals from the start of George V's reign in 1910 to now, and can cover fiction and nonfiction, and as long as it has some connection to the Royals and their families, I say, go for it. If you really want to expand on this theme, I'm hosting a write-off over at Epinions this year to honour the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Here's the link to that:

http://www.epinions.com/content_56048... -- Diamond Jubilee write off

message 8: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Oh yes! And it's very good too."

I was wondering the same thing. I still haven't decided which one I want to read yet.

message 9: by Kit (last edited Feb 28, 2012 02:20PM) (new)

Kit Just finished, Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life of the Man Who Married Queen Elizabeth II; I very much enjoyed it. Also, finished:Elizabeth The Queen: The Life Of A Modern Monarch and The Real Elizabeth. I enjoyed both books; but I found Elizabeth the Queen to be an easier read. If you have time to read both, go for it. Its worth the time.

Think I will start at the beginning this time with, Matriarch: Queen Mary and the House of Windsor.

message 10: by Lether (new)

Lether Meyer (persephon322) | 9 comments I've chosen to read That Woman. I had pre-ordered it a couple weeks back and my copy arrived last week. Very excited. I may read Elizabeth the Queen as well.

message 11: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I was going to read Elizabeth The Queen: The Life Of A Modern Monarch but there are lots of people on the library hold list so I'm going to go with The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy since I enjoyed the movie so much.

message 12: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I think I am going to read The King's Speech, too, since I actually have that book, but I really want to read Elizabeth the Queen. I don't think that I have time for both, so we shall see how it pans out.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 71 comments If it's any help, The King's Speech reads fairly quickly.

message 14: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

In that case, I might be able to squeeze in two books!

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 71 comments I was easily through it in an evening.

message 16: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

So - I am adding Wallis & Edward Letters 1931-37: The Intimate Correspondence of the Duke & Duchess of Windsor to my list as it also fits a challenge in another group!

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (missbelgravia) | 6 comments The audiobook of The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy is great, because it includes the actual speech itself.

message 18: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

That is cool, Kathleen.