Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Movies and Television > Are you a B Movie Snob or Connoisseur?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Feb 27, 2012 05:41PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4741 comments Mod
Do you cringe while watching low budget movies, or do you cheer them on and relish low budget action/sci-fi/fantasy/horror movies?

I have to be honest. I am a bit of a B movie snob. Especially if it's supposed to be a high concept action/fantasy/sci-fi movie. I've seen some low budget movies that were very well done, but some of them make me cringe. Usually I only make it through the first 30 minutes (if that long) of most of the SyFy channel movies.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Do you have a list of low budget favorites?

message 3: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Yes, but I have to do some thinking about them... I'll lead off with the movie version of Relic, not the top of the list, but not bad as B-Flicks go.

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I'd also add Phantoms (based on the Dean Koontz Book of the same name) staring Peter O'Toole as the quirky Doctor and ... Joe Beth Williams? (darn, back to Wikipedia again)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2912 comments Mod
I'm not either all the time. Sometimes I love B movies (like Dark City), other times I can't take it (remember The Guyver?)

So, it sort of depends on the B movie...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

B!!!!!!!! lover!!!!!! They Live....... UHF..... Nacho Libre....... Napoleon Dynamite ...... Robin Hood Men in Tights........ Corky Romano.......

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Feb 27, 2012 07:25PM) (new)

I adore Napoleon Dynamite! Fantastic! I think I like B comedy movies the most when it comes to low budget films. I admit I do like some of the low budget artsy movies too.

In the 80s and 90s, I watched and enjoyed a lot of low budget action movies that I was probably too young for. :)

message 8: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Guyver staring Mark Hamil! Dark City staring Kiefer Southerland! Great movies! Sinbad staring Jayne Seymore and a buttload of claymation monsters and no named actors. The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper Brolin and Ward!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it is because the B movie makers have nothing to loose and aren't as "ARTSY" and full of themselves and just have fun.... you can feel it. Rat Race ....... When I first saw that I could hardly breath I laughed so hard.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2912 comments Mod
.....ni.....

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana I agree, it depends on the movie. As long as the film is entertaining I'll enoy it. Has anyone seen Star Crash? It's a cheesy rip off of the Star Wars movies, complete with sloppy effects and terrible acting lol. But I love it anyway!

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Ice Pirates! with Gil Gerard. Stupid movie, but, it tickled my funny bone. And there was a movie with Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcet that turned out okay. Sci-fi flick.

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana Was that The Demon Seed? Or Saturn Five. They were similar films I think.

message 14: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Saturn Five! (I think that was it.)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Mike (the Paladin) wrote: ".....ni....."
Whats that movie? LOL

Wasn't American Griffity considered a B movie? I love mystery science theater because of its bad B movies.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooo The Beautitian and the Beast ...

message 17: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Maroon 5, staring Gene Hackman. I didn't think American Graffiti was a "B" movie. I thought it was one of those "ground breaking" movies when it came out. The reason Happy Days (TV show) came about.

Beast Master... not a bad B-Flick.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah ... Happy Days...... Lavern and Shirley

Young Frankenstein

message 19: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother! (Gene Wilder)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Gene Wilder movies...... well most of them ..... he is always funny.... just looking at him

Silver Streak .....

message 21: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Silver Streak, is good. How about "Stir Crazy" with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor? (together again)

message 22: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Another of my favorite B Movies... Ladyhawke staring Ruger Haur (sp), Matthew Broderick and Michelle Pfifer.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

OH YEAH They were GREAT together.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I likes War Games.... I am not a fan of Pfifer Broderick or Haur. I know I know I am the ONLY one in the world. Haur was good in The 10th Kingdom.

message 25: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

OOOOH...OOOOH....OOOH.. I got one, ...

Red Dawn, staring Charlie Sheen and Patrick Swayze, with Jenifer Gray and some chick who looked like Melissa Gilbert but wasn't, along with C. Thomas Howell!

Not a bad Action Movie either, but...B flick.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup!!!!!!! Dooms Day movies ... I love them ... isn't that awful LOL

Don't like Swayze... poor guy.... or Jen Gray....

Did you ever see him in George and the Dragon? It was a couple of years before he passed away.

Oh I am awful..... But have a hard time with movies if I don't care for the actor .... unless they do an exceptional job in a movie.

message 27: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Never saw him in the George and the Dragon... maybe I did..

How about (cue cheesy music)

Day of the Comet!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

No ... I will look it up. My husband makes us watch day after tomorrow and 2012 and Independence day over and over again LOL
I could use some new disaster movie .... I am just awful!!!!!!!!!!! LOl

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow ... okay I just bought it.... it has good reviews for a cheesy movie. Thanks.

message 30: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

I like Independence Day... and 2012 looks fun, but I have only seen part of it.

You can always watch "The Towering Inferno" with a cast that reads like the guests on a Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon.

message 31: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Ruger Haur in "Crossroads." Cool B flick there.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahahahahah
Towering Inferno!!!!!!! How about Earth Quake!!!!! Or Soylent Green...I don't like soy
I will check out Crossroads....

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes... it is were he goes to the cross roads to meet the devil to play the guitar .... that was good. It was said Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil to play the guitar the way he did... or so he said.

Oh and Oh Brother

message 34: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The Curmudgeon wrote: "Ice Pirates! with Gil Gerard. Stupid movie, but, it tickled my funny bone. And there was a movie with Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcet that turned out okay. Sci-fi flick."

I love Ice Pirates. I own the DVD. I didn't like Saturn 9 much at all.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The Curmudgeon wrote: "I like Independence Day... and 2012 looks fun, but I have only seen part of it.

You can always watch "The Towering Inferno" with a cast that reads like the guests on a Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telet..."

Thumbs up on The Towering Inferno.

message 36: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 465 comments It all depends on what you mean when you say B movies. I prefer well made films and yet some 'bad films' I still have enjoyed.

message 37: by Eileen (new)

Eileen B movies are the best. Some that pop into my head and I don't think anyone mentioned is Jason and the Argonauts, a classic B movie.

Faithmarie, I watch Day After Tomorrow everytime it's on TV, it sucks me in.

Every single one of the Airport movies made in the 70's I've seen. Disaster movies are the best. How about these...The Big Bus...Killer Bees...The Hindenburg...Red Planet.

Haven't thought about Crossroads in years. That's a movie I have to watch again real soon.

message 38: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

I'm with you, the original Airport movie staring Dean Martin and Jaquelyn Bisset in the airplane with George Kennedy on the ground "Tryin' to get off of his penguin but and clear the dmaned runway" is the best. The others are good too. Maybe the one where Chuck Heston dangles from a helocpter is pretty good with Karen Black in a serious role.

It should be noted that some of these movies that we are calling "B" movies were considered serious movies when they came out. It may not be completely fair to call the B-movies, but, the rerun factor is high on them and the rental cost/cost to broadcast is low.

Ian Allen's Disaster Movies were fun. Posidon Adventure, Earthquake (filmed in sensaround!), The Towering Inferno, all fun.

message 39: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I know what you saying, Hugh. When those movies came out they were serious "main stream" movies.

I remember when Earthquake came out. Years ago (the stone age) you could sit in the theater all afternoon and watch it 2 or 3 times in a row. I remember thinking how cool it was that they could make the walls feel like they were shaking...so high tech!

message 40: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Yes, Thomas Dolby revolutionized that era I think. "Turn the base up, rattle the windows....we'll call it..sense-surround!"

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Ahhhh hahahah!!!!!!! Posidon Adventure .... I made the mistake of playing that again after year and the new one too ... I like the first better and after going on 3 cruises my husband won't let us go anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am NOT kidding...... stupid me.
I loved the Airport movies Eileen! And the Airport spoof too....

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Stone Age!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhahahahaha

Jaws!!!!!!!!! yeah!!

message 43: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Yes, the second one I like to call "The Poop-side-down Adventure" after the MAD Magazine spoof.

Gene Hackman and Ernest Borgnine...Roddy McDowell and Pamala Sue Martin.

My wife won't go in the ocean... maybe I need to clarify that before I get mobbed by environmentalists. My wife won't step deeper than her ankles in the ocean after the Rubber Jaws Shark scared her at Universal Studios.

I'm like... doesn't this prove that it was only a movie?

message 44: by Eileen (new)

Eileen The ensemble cast was what made those movies great for me.

Jaws..."I think we need a bigger boat", a classic line that everyone knows what movie it's from.

I'm with your wife, Hugh. Not a big fan of swimming in the ocean. They say the odds of getting eaten by a shark is small, those are the people that have never been bitten. I've never been near a shark in the water, I just ate the taste of ocean water.

message 45: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Faithmarie wrote: "Stone Age!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhahahahaha

Jaws!!!!!!!!! yeah!!"

It does feel like a long time ago. lol

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 28, 2012 08:21AM) (new)

I lived on the ocean when I saw jaws... I thought I would never go in again..... I did I do and I will..... I am however afraid of public restrooms........ oceans ..... which is like a public restroom now...????!!!!!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I know Eileen.... I am the one who is repeating stories of the olden days to my grandchildren while my daughters look at me sadly and say awwww mommy you just told that story....not long ago...... AHHHH

message 48: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Jonathan wrote: "It all depends on what you mean when you say B movies. I prefer well made films and yet some 'bad films' I still have enjoyed."

When I say B movie I mean very low budget, with limited money spent on props and effects, and the actors are all unknowns or those who have gone past their heyday or never got famous in the first place.

message 49: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

So, basically anything with Syble Danning in it or Jan Michael Vincent.

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Exactly!!! Or Ben Cross nowadays.

« previous 1 3