Patrick Henry College Students & Alumni Reading Group (Unofficial) discussion

General > So...Poetry

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bart (new)

Bart | 3 comments I realize that most PHC students' syllabi generally aren't characterized by much poetry--literature majors excepted, of course. What poets did you all enjoy in your spare time at school and after graduation? I tended to read much of the Metaphysical poets, Yeats, and Eliot while enrolled, but now I absolutely love the English Romantics. However, from high school till today, I love the Anglo-Saxons. Have your tastes changed? What has remained the same?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

That's very interesting, Stewart. I've never compromised my enjoyment of a poem on whether or not it agreed with me. I must ponder this...

On how to read poetry, Billy Collins gives some choice words in the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgXQT...

I've enjoyed reading poetry more outside of college than in it, and I find most of my time is spent perusing the American greats. Cummings, Dickinson, Frost, and Longfellow, mostly. Eliot is reserved for emergencies and Poe should be read in a church. However, I've read very little of the English Romantics, though the occasional Irishman is not uncommon.

Patrick Henry College Students & Alumni Reading...

unread topics | mark unread