American Historical Fiction discussion

Are there westerns written by women?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Spence | 22 comments My book, A STORY OF THE WEST is a western, from the time period and setting to the action. It wasn't what I intended. A scene just came to mind and I wrote a book around it.

I never thought about it before, but are there women writers of westerns? I've read memoirs women wrote during this time and really enjoyed them, but what about real "shoot 'em ups"? I can't recall reading or hearing about any.

Some men are hesitant to read my book and I think it's because they believe it'll be a "little woman on the prairie" type of story (not that there's anything wrong with that). But it's not. On the other hand I don't think I will ever be confused with Louis L'Amour because there is a different perspective.

I'd love to hear if anyone has come across any.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Susan,

My first novel, which I'm still working on, is a real "shoot 'em up" western. Set in Wyoming in the 1880s it involves an outlaw gang, stagecoach robberies etc. I had to giggle at your comment because a lot of people think I'm writing the "little woman on the Prairie" story!! Have you read These is my Words? It's quite gritty in places. Is your book available in ePub? I'd love to read it.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Spence | 22 comments Sue, A STORY OF THE WEST is available through Smashwords, which supposedly makes it downloadable in any form. Please let me know if you have any problems purchasing it in ePub form.

I've heard of THESE IS MY WORDS. I'll put it on my to read list.

Let me know when you finish your book as I'd love to read it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan, I've found your book on Smashwords. I should get to it in a week or two. My to be read pile is HUGE! I highly recommend These is My Words. I've read it 3 times already and it has 2 sequels as well. Are you working on another book yet?

message 5: by Elisabeth (last edited Feb 29, 2012 09:03AM) (new)

Elisabeth | 16 comments Present-day? Well, I'm one! :) I can't say I write shoot-em-ups—my stories are more character-driven. But they're definitely Westerns.

There were definitely some women writers of Westerns (what alliteration!) back in the early days of the genre. Probably the best-known and most successful was one of my all-time favorite authors, B.M. Bower. I've reviewed a couple of my favorites of her books and have a lot more on my shelves. She's among the authors that have had the most influence on my own writing.

There were others, too. You should check out this blog: http://www.buddiesinthesaddle.blogspo... There's a lot of posts there on books by lesser-known woman writers from the 19th and early 20th century.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Spence | 22 comments Sue, Let me know what you think when you get A STORY OF THE WEST read! I am working on a sequel that I plan on publishing this spring.

Elizabeth, I'll definitely check out your books. I'll have to check out B.M. Bower also, never heard of her. I follow "buddies in the saddle" and he follows my blog. It's a great reference for western stuff, including pictures, movies, etc.

If I seem ignorant of western writing, it's because I am. I never planned on writing a Western and for the most part haven't enjoyed reading them. As a life long horse person, plus learning the history by living in old western towns, I can spot inaccuracies a mile away. It's a turn off to read stuff that I know couldn't happen that way. Many of the old writers didn't care about being realistic. I guess that's how these fallacies are perpetuated. Old movies drive me crazy this way too.

As an example, "...he kneed his horse into a gallop..." No one has ever used their knees to urge a horse forward and yet it's written in book after book.

Anybody else know of other women Western writers?

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (mbk1857) Linda Lael Miller comes to mind. She's very famous.

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 114 comments You might also try Linda Buchanan. Here's her website and a goodreads link to one of her books

http://www.swanrange.com/
Gold Under Ice

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Spence | 22 comments I'm going to have to start a list. Thanks everyone.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gold Under Ice (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

B.M. Bower (other topics)