Mt. Mercy University 2012 discussion

Why Young Adult Lit?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherfeuerhelm) | 12 comments Mod
You have now read a variety of YA styles--graphic novels, alternative styles, poetry, humor, historical fiction, realistic fiction...why is young adult literature valuable? Add your idea and respond to other ideas you see posted.

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbyashcroft) | 10 comments I feel like young adult lit is important because it is relatable. Being an adolescent is HORRIBLE, and it’s hard to find something that makes you feel like you're not alone. So even though, we as adults find the plot lines repetitive and overdramatic sometimes, I feel like the emotional connections that young adults get from reading make it important to them. I think that's the basis in general for hooking them into being widely read and in love with literature in the future.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jatalcott) | 11 comments I agree with Abby, I believe that its the connections that young adults get from reading these books that makes it important to them. It can be any connection-big or small- just to make sure that do connect this book to their life in some way. It could be all about getting away from their real life and going into a world that is the total opposite of theirs.

So much of adult fiction is overdramatic and doesn't even try to connect to the reader, young adult books are really relatable to even adults.

message 4: by Heather (new)

That's the beauty of YA--it's not just for teens! I read it because it's my job, but even more, I read it because I enjoy it. Isn't that the ultimate goal of reading--to enjoy it? YA acts as a gateway when I get away from reading and need something to hook me again.

message 5: by Laina (last edited Mar 03, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Laina (lpilkenton) | 9 comments I definitely agree with what's been said so far. I don't mean to sound cliche, but adolescence is a very tough time because teens really are trying to make sense of the world and of themselves. They need to have something they can rely on and make connections with. I'd rather have that 'something' be literature instead of some other outlets.

The fact that YA lit includes texts written by fellow teens makes it even better!

I still love adult literature- since I still need assistance grappling with the adult world- but I can connect to and enjoy YA lit as well.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Kramer | 7 comments I have forgotten how great the YA genre really is! Being in college makes me feel like I'm surrounded by more sophisicated literature, which is still good, but honestly it's the YA genre that keeps me interested overall. I feel like now that I'm an adult I have to read only adult literature and the prestiged classics, as if I can't go back to reading YA literature anymore. This class has shown me the true genres and texts that I will be teaching in my future classroom and what topics and discussions will engage the students in those readings.
While wanting to teach either middle schoolers or high schoolers, I can remember own my experiences and have since then devleoped a better sense of their thinking. At that age for them, they are immersed and broaden into many new experiences; they don't always like to admit it but these new experiences for them are scary and terrifying. Therefore, this YA genre helps them feel secure and give them a better understanding of what they are going through. It is crucial for them to feel accepted and understood.

message 7: by Laina (new)

Laina (lpilkenton) | 9 comments Lauren wrote: "I have forgotten how great the YA genre really is! Being in college makes me feel like I'm surrounded by more sophisicated literature, which is still good, but honestly it's the YA genre that keeps..."

Well said, Lauren! Ditto ;)

message 8: by Heather (new)

We are NEVER too old to enjoy books for younger readers...picture books through adult books! Remember this...some kids will be ready for adult novels AND younger student books. Reading is reading is reading...and we want kids to love it! :)

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne (acoatar) | 9 comments I found my husband reading Forgotten Fire and my son(first grader!) reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid! This YA Lit genre is contagious!

message 10: by Heather (new)

Anne wrote: "I found my husband reading Forgotten Fire and my son(first grader!) reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid! This YA Lit genre is contagious!"
YES!!!!! :)

message 11: by Miaree (last edited Mar 07, 2012 02:49PM) (new)

Miaree | 6 comments YA Literature can be really great Literature. I agree with Lauren that in a college setting we feel like we can't read "contemporary" books with all the great classics out there. And while I love Jane Austen, Jennifer Weiner and Maeve Binchy (they are not strictly YA, but contemporary) are right up there with Austen, as far as books that have personally made an impact on my life.

The YA genre is genre of books that most students are reading, if they "read for fun," and if they don't read for fun, then it is YA Lit that can "hook" them!

message 12: by Laina (last edited Mar 08, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

Laina (lpilkenton) | 9 comments Anne wrote: "I found my husband reading Forgotten Fire and my son(first grader!) reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid! This YA Lit genre is contagious!"

I've spread the obsession too! My Mom is almost done with Cut and has Forgotten Fire and Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie already waiting for her afterwards :)

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (sonicwithap) | 3 comments Since I've started reading YA for this class I've fallen in love with reading again. I love talking to kids about books. One of my books I read for this week was a recommendation from one of my drama students... she's got good taste. I can't wait to talk about the book with her after spring break!

message 14: by Joe (new)

Joe Arnold | 5 comments I think young adult lit is so enjoyable because stories from people growing up are much more interesting than adults. Growing up is such a crazy time and the stories about kids going through this usually makes for incredible literature.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jatalcott) | 11 comments Before this class, in a sense I thought that since I was not in High School anymore I had to read more "mature" book for adults. This class and the overall sense I am getting is- "SO WHAT!? YA Lit can be enjoyable for all ages and can still teach an "adult" something about the world and themselves." :)

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraBrum) | 6 comments YA Lit. is extremely valuable for multiple reasons. YA Lit. does a fantastic job keeping up with what young adults are curious about, interested in, and thinking and doing right now. YA Lit. is relateable for all ages. Even as adults we enjoy reading them because the themes are often something we can all relate to in one way or another. YA. Lit is also generally fast paced and high intensity. The reader ususally doesn't have to reread a page because they don't know what he/she just read. I have really enjoyed picking up more YA books. Instilling a love for reading in my future students is very important to me and I realize now that one of the best ways to motivate and connect with my students is to read what they're reading!

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraBrum) | 6 comments Jennifer wrote: "Before this class, in a sense I thought that since I was not in High School anymore I had to read more "mature" book for adults. This class and the overall sense I am getting is- "SO WHAT!? YA Lit ..."

Jennifer wrote: "Before this class, in a sense I thought that since I was not in High School anymore I had to read more "mature" book for adults. This class and the overall sense I am getting is- "SO WHAT!? YA Lit ..."

I completely agree! YA Lit. books do inspire some great self reflection!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraBrum) | 6 comments Anne wrote: "I found my husband reading Forgotten Fire and my son(first grader!) reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid! This YA Lit genre is contagious!"

Yes! That's why it's so important for future teachers to read with and in front of their students!! My husband and I are going to start the Hunger Games together this week!!