Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion

getting the parents out of the way

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Annabel ♥ I've recently discovered that the reason why so many books about kids/teenagers on exciting adventures have no parents or parents that don't care in them. The writer wants to just get the parents out of the way so that the kids can have their own adventures. I feel like Stephenie Meyer does this, as well. I'm not saying it's a bad thing; I'm just saying it's interesting. Think about all the lovely stories you read when you were a child. Most of them don't have parents.

So, yep. Does anyone else feel this way... About parents being pushed out so that the kid can go on their own adventures?

Lisa hmm, i've never though about it like that... very true though!

Kassel Garibay I had never thought of that. But I guess is true. But it kinda applies to the kids who have parents who overprotect them so they read books in wich the parents are pushed out or there are not parents at all. I guess that a kid who has no parents, or his parents do not care about him would like to read about good parents and wish they were his.

Habz True say...

Samantha The Escapist Having parents in the picture makes it much harder for the reader to suspend their disbelief when something bad is happening.

A book I read recently called The Girl in the Steel Corset annoyed me this way in that her mother was alive and well with a new husband who was quite nice and their 16 year old daughter was out on her own working (Victorian London) but something bad happens that involves the girl's history and the mother knows quite a lot. But after a single chapter spent with the mother to get information the teens go back to their adventures with nary an adult in sight to help out. (It IS a good book though)

So any novel about younger people that wants to get away with a half sensible plot really can't have the parents around, OR nothing terribly bad or exciting can happen without the parents having to help out.

message 6: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Most "classic" childrens lit does not include parents because what makes the story delightful for kids is that you don't have your parents around.

I'm not suggesting by any means that twilight is a classic nor will it ever be a classic, but just goes to show that not having your parents around is a used element within children and young adult fiction.

Maeve Mcdonagh I LOVE TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mochaspresso The old peanuts cartoons/comics never showed adults and whenever one was speaking, it was always off camera and the voice was "wah wah wah wah".

message 9: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle yeah i never really thought of it like that...but i think it's good..it's the only way you can truely feel escaped in a book because if the parents are there well..

KareB This is probably because most authors are parents and/or adults. It's a way to go back into their own youth or write about their own emotional experiences.

Mikaela kinda true

Amanda Well the parents are present in the Twilight series though. Bella's father, the Cullen's. The story is Bella's though so they wouldn't have a need to have the parents around all the time. Nobody is with their parents all the time.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...

message 13: by george ☽ (last edited Feb 28, 2012 02:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

george ☽ i like that idea, because for some reason, I prefer it in a story when the parent's are AWOL, and it is just the teenager/teenagers/ on their own, ya know?

george ☽ Maeve wrote: "I LOVE TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

lol, yeah, me too!

Helen Stevens Not really the case with Twilight though is it, she lives with her dad who is very protective and certainly cares about her a lot.

Shanna You need absent parents for the adventure. Present, good, parents wouldn't allow a child to be at such risk. Bad parents are good antagonists and motivators to action. Merely absent parents are motivators to action (ie Lyra's search for her father in Golden Compass/Northern Lights. Lyra also had a bad parent in her mother)or the absence is factor that allow the child to embark on the journey. It's something as old as stories, evil stepmothers in fairy tales, absent fathers that enable mistreatment of the child, parents who make bargains that throw their children in to the literary fire ect ect...

KareB Helen wrote: "Not really the case with Twilight though is it, she lives with her dad who is very protective and certainly cares about her a lot."

Yep. And Carlisle and Esme are very present and serve as parent figures.

Samantha The Escapist I was thinking the same, it's a good topic because it's annoyingly prevalent (even though it is necessary for its reasons) in the genre but Twilight is hardly the best book to spark the discussion.

message 19: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Karen wrote: "Helen wrote: "Not really the case with Twilight though is it, she lives with her dad who is very protective and certainly cares about her a lot."

Yep. And Carlisle and Esme are very present and..."

agreed...carlisle and esme and rennee and charlie are in the movies and books a fair bit...so maybe not such a great example with twilight but the dissucion is bang on

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm... Well, the things that I find interesting is you have books where there are NO parents at all, while you have movies like New Years Eve where parents are making the kid's decisions for them when they're sixteen! It really just depends on what the story is and who the character are. If it's about the kids and they're adventures to God know's where, then of course no parents are going to be involved, but if there's a story where it's just a normal kid's life in school and just regular life, the parents are most likely going to be involved. Does that make sense??? xD

message 21: by S.L.J. (last edited Feb 28, 2012 07:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.L.J. Twilight had parents but they weren't 'real' parents. Charlie was an awesome character but then he just sat back and said 'okay, my daughter is very sick, I can't go near her...oh look, she's completely changed and has a daughter now...okay.' And that was it.

Weak, very weak. The parental figures in Twilight weren't great. Charlie was great until the 4th. Then he fell into the same hell hole that the other adults did. The vamp parents, well they weren't parents. They were motivational speakers that occasionaly drank blood.

Their previous lives never really entered into it, they had nothing that really defind them, other than being 'perfect vampires', they were basically cardboard cutouts.

KareB They're technically not children either though. Edwards is over 100 years old.

message 23: by S.L.J. (last edited Feb 28, 2012 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.L.J. Karen wrote: "They're technically not children either though. Edwards is over 100 years old."

They still act like them though.

Tenzin Tsokey Yeah, thats exactly is another view strike in my mind while I was reading this. Especially, when it cvmes to the discourse of the relation of Bella and her father. He is very protective and yet never turns-on to that much..