Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion

just finished this book...

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Annabel ♥ OK, So I hate to admit this, but I loved it. I just finished and I gotta give Stephenie Meyer some credit, even if she writes like a 10-year-old and uses the thesaurus WAY too much. She wrote a good book. She managed to keep people enthralled, and I cared about Bella (well, not really... But I wanted to know what happened next). Bella was pathetic. I'm sorry, btu I think she couldve created a better main character than her. She is flat, pathetic, whiny, and so many other things. Edward is a stalker. Jacob is awesome.

So yeah, thats what I think about Twilight. I'm just throwing that out there.

message 2: by Natalie (last edited Feb 27, 2012 04:13PM) (new) - added it

Natalie I agree Anne. I thought Bella was pathetic and the book is poorly written, but she obviously did something right because all i wanted to know the entire book was who Edward was. (When i read the book I didn't know it was about vampires lol). I don't think Edward is a stalker per-say, it seems like an anamalistic-vampire quality that we humans would never understand. Since we don't 'hunt' for prey, or stalk our prey, etc we can't identify with Edward, thus we find it werid and creepy. But thats not to say he doesn't 'come off' as creepy and stalkerish.

Maeve Mcdonagh I THINK THAT IT WAS THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! TEAM EDWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marisa Maeve wrote: "I THINK THAT IT WAS THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! TEAM EDWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This definitely is not the best book ever created. I could name several that have lasted through history that are amazing but that are still not the best. Twilight is just a fad and people will eventually get over it. Plus i do agree that Bella is whiny and pathetic. She is a completely helpless character and she is supposed to be some type of a heroine.

Kasey The writing is horrible, but its a catchy read.

CASI Black yeahright.. It was definitely not the best book ever made but again, another yeahright for the reason that it really was a catchy read (I mean, it's worth it). The writing was in some way horrible, maybe, but the story itself was just cool as well as the characters. Bella, a pathetic character to be in the lead but she will be doing exactly what a heroine was supposed to be doing in the 4th book, "Breaking Dawn". As for Jacob, the evolution of his character from just a teenage boy to a guy and to a werewolf guy was amazing and just fits. The Twilight saga was really a vampire thing but Bella was like the narrator of the story that's why more of Edward was still in the shadow to the readers. In connection to this, "Midnight Sun" was created but unfortunately it was not a finished version of Twilight.^^

message 7: by Rachael (last edited Feb 29, 2012 08:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachael Iv just finished Midnight Sun it really was fantastic. I don't think Bella's pathetic at all. She doesn't really moan at all either. I think she's quite brave to be honest. I think the problem is, like Charlie, she thinks more she says. Leaving us to see what other people would think and thats that Bella is plain and boring. But the fact is, Bella would suffer any pain to protect not just Edward but anyone she loved. She was selfless and this was one of the very many reasons he fell in love with her in the first place. She's admitted she's not normal and her brain doesn't work right and I think he clearly picks up on that fact. I think there perfect for each other and on some cosmic level she was made for him. That's why he can't read her.
Team Edward all the way! I think just as many people hate these books as they do love them but only because the fans are so loyal and loud the people who don't like it feel they need to scream louder.
Oh yes and the whole Edward is a stalker thing. He explains this in Midnight Sun and he even called himself a stalker on more than occasion but justified it. He was so panicked something would happen to her he physically hated leaving her alone and therefore didnt leave. Jacob on the other hand was jouvanille. He may not have been a stalker but he was an emotional blackmailing guilt tripper!

Christl I keep hearing the Twilight series is horribly written. I cannot agree as it succeeds in capturing the attention of most readers and pulling them in, making them care about either the characters or the outcome. If it was truly a poorly written series, readers would abandon the books before finishing the story - not caring about the outcome at all.

Out of curiousity, I`d love to see posts of what each of us considers a well-crafted read. Anyone?

message 9: by Natalie (last edited Mar 03, 2012 05:18PM) (new) - added it

Natalie Christl wrote: "I keep hearing the Twilight series is horribly written. I cannot agree as it succeeds in capturing the attention of most readers and pulling them in, making them care about either the characters o..."

Don DeLillo. Amazing writer.

His form is impressionistic and brilliant. Everything connects with everything. He includes art within art and he devotes so much attention to detail: his descriptions are amazing. Even when hes constructing his novels he uses a typewriter with the biggest font so he can see and feel his art.

Unlike meyer, he actually knows how to use a dash. (but, at the same time I feel bad saying that because none of us know if meyer did that because she was capturing a teens mind) But, needless to say Delillo uses dashes well.

I can't praise him enough.:)

violet YAY NO SCHOOL TOMORROW POWER OUTAGE!! WHOOP WHOOP! :)

Alexandria How is it that people find Jacob awesome in Twilight, when he appears in it a total of 4-5 times, and out of that total he spent about 2 times doing something: 1) telling Bella the history of his people 2) Telling her his father paid him to come tell her "We are watching."

Like...seriously...when did he provide anything in the first book to be labeled as "awesome"?

Dvora I thought it was a great book. I couldn't put it down. I'm just someone who enjoys reading. But honestly, Stephanie Meyer did something right. So I don't think i'm alone in thinking she knows how to catch an audience with her words. I think these books are great. If your reading a book and the pages just keep turning, thats a pretty good sign that it's a good book to me. :)

Vivian Anne...since you just finished Twilight and it's fresh in your mind...you should go to Stephanie's website and read the rough draft of Midnight Sun. It is Twilight from Edward's point of view. Then you will understand why he stalks her, why he acts cold toward her, why he acts the way he does toward her human friends. You will also get to know the Cullens better, especially Alice. After reading Midnight Sun I understood everything so much better. You really get to see what Edward goes through for Bella, why he loves her, etc.

Jessi Rachael wrote: "Iv just finished Midnight Sun it really was fantastic. I don't think Bella's pathetic at all. She doesn't really moan at all either. I think she's quite brave to be honest. I think the problem is, ..."

I totally agree!! Even the little bit of Midnight Sun that is available to read explains a lot of things Edward does that were not explained in Twilight. :)