Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West discussion

Cormac McCarthy's amazing sentences

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed Boiling Over and Closing In: What Cormac McCarthy's sentences can teach us about emotional pitch in fiction: http://bit.ly/wZlVx7

message 2: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed Has anyone noticed these two sentence structures used by other writers so consistently as McCarthy does? I wonder if it's intentional or unconscious . . .

Karen Intentional or not, he must have the heart of a poet to write such brilliantly overwhelming prose. Or a dancer who senses the rhythm of the images and actions he describes.

message 4: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed Agreed. One of the great artistic geniuses of our age, if I may be so bold. I suppose I wrote the above blog post hoping some of it would rub off on me! Anyway, there's a great deal writers can learn from him.

Richard read your blog, pretty good stuff, the buenos aires piece was the most interesting but unfortunately you ended it very abruptly. wasn't looking for salacious detail but a piece on the club and it's patrons would have been quite engrossing

message 6: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed Thanks for reading. The Buenos Aires piece wasn't intended to be a complete or satisfying narrative - just a teaser to pose the difficult question I hope to make some progress on in the course of the blog: what makes a good story? http://bit.ly/wZlVx7

Zirk The first paragraph of Chapter II stands as a beacon of poetic style. The swale of stars has me speechless.

Charles You need to read his books slowly and deliberately, like a collection of poems. Or you need to read them three times. Once to be carried away by the story, once for the poetry (especially the landscapes), and a final time for the philosophy embedded within, particularly during those long monologues by sometimes random characters.

Alonzo Every time I re-read Blood Meridian, I fall in love with it again. I stated in a discussion of McCarthy's The Road that that was an ugly, beautiful book. Blood Meridian is one of the ugliest books I have ever read (as far as content), and one of the most beautiful in its presentation.

It is a book that may not sit easy (it troubles my mind), but that is able at the very same time to lift the reader to heights seldom reached with prose.

David McDannald What blows me away about McCarthy is not just his sentences, but his ability to set them in worlds that are long gone. Who else can take you up into the mountains to meet a band of Indians in the 19th century? I'm thinking right now of the scene in The Crossing when the boy had the wolf and the Indians didn't even react to it.