Poison Study (Study, #1) Poison Study question

Recommendations for Historical Fantasy books?
Mishal Mishal (last edited Feb 27, 2012 02:37PM ) Feb 27, 2012 02:30PM
I loved the Study series and I would like to find other books which are set in a similar time (medieval) and have magic/fantasy/adventure themes. Thanks for the help guys!

Also they can be adult and YA.

The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal
Dragonfly By Julia Golding
A Posse of Princesses by Sherwood Smith
Fairest and The Two Princesses of Bamarre and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable
Old Magic by Marianne Curley
Wildwood Dancing and Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness
Anatopsis by Chris Abouzeid
Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
A Wizard Named Nell by Jackie French Koller
Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Dragon's Keep by Janet Lee Carey
Aurelia by Anne Osterlund
Mistwood by Leah Cypress

I loved the Seven Realms Series by Cinda Williams Chima. It is magical, medieval, with a hint of romance. It is also full of believable characters and great action - although the first couple of pages establish the location so may seem a bit slow (it’s worth remembering the details because it all relates to the plot). Technically it is YA fiction, but it has a bit more bite to it than is typical for the genre.

As Carly and Becky said, Daughter of the Forest, by Juliet Marillier, is good too; however, it is rather lengthy and contains adult themes similar to the ‘Yelena and Reyad’ subject in Poison Study (that might be distressing to some readers).

Hmmm, most of Tamora Pierce's books are good (barring the Circle books). I would suggest starting with the Alanna series (all of the Tamriel-setting series's can stand alone but Alanna sets a lot of background) The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan is decent, although I had a hard time rereading the series. I like his spin-off series, The Brotherband Chronicles, better so far. Of course, the Glass series by Maria Snyder, as well as Touch of Power. Dragon's Keep by Janet Lee Carey is interesting. All of Patricia Briggs books are good. In this time period, her books "Masques" and "Wolfsbane" are decent (though not as good as her newer books).

Cayra Sorry, Brent Weeks. Silly me.
Mar 20, 2012 06:34PM · flag

juuree (last edited Mar 01, 2012 12:33AM ) Mar 01, 2012 12:31AM   0 votes
Are you going to read her Glass series, btw?

Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore Fire (The Seven Kingdoms, #2) by Kristin Cashore Touch of Power (Healer, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Slumber (The Fade, #1) by Samantha Young

Rosemary Lynch The glass series was okay too
Apr 04, 2012 09:15AM · flag

Really loved the study series but not inside Out, didn't quite work for me

I loved, loved, loved the study series and was very upset when the author chose to go in a different direction. Looking for more books like this in a similar vein.

You could try Alison Corggon's Pellinor series, I loved them. Also Trudi Canavan, Kristin Cashor, Kristin Brittain, Jim Butcher, Terry Goodkind, David Eddings, Juliette Marrilier, Fiona McIntosh, Karen Miller, K.E. Mills

The Gift (Books of Pellinor, #1) by Alison Croggon The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1) by Trudi Canavan Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore Green Rider by Kristen Britain Furies of Calderon (The Codex Alera, #1) by Jim Butcher Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1) by David Eddings Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier Betrayal (Trinity, #1) by Fiona McIntosh The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1) by Karen Miller The Accidental Sorcerer (Rogue Agent, #1) by K.E. Mills

Try Finnikin of the Rock...YA but a fab read. It's followed by Froi of the Exiles and the third in the series comes out soon I hope. Katherine Kerr's Dragonspell, Darkspell etc series is good too.

I really liked Cinda Williams Chima Heir series The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2) by Cinda Williams Chima The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3) by Cinda Williams Chima The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima

Mishal wrote: "I loved the Study series and I would like to find other books which are set in a similar time (medieval) and have magic/fantasy/adventure themes. Thanks for the help guys!

Also they can be adult a..."
I like this series too. So my recommendation for u to read tales of the otori by lian hearn takes place in feudal japan. It has a great adventure, samuari, battles, romance, magic and most importantly the characters r well develop and diverse in personality. it is the best series i have ever read

Have you read Jacqueline Carey's books? There are three connected trilogies, the series starts with Kushiel's Dart.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

Kate Elliot's Spiritwalker books are fun. The first one is Cold Magic

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/71...

Kristen Callihan's Firelight is also quite good but it's centered more around the romance.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

Have you read Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series? The first book is The Curse of Chalion