Basically Books! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Former Group Read Suggestions > May Suggestions - Sci-Fi

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1628 comments Mod
We're running two themes each month. The themes are picked at random. Sci-fi was the first theme picked.
Please keep in mind that when we say sci-fi, we do not include dystopia. We have a seperate theme for dystopia. Any dystopias that are suggested will be ignored.

Other than that, feel free to suggest any sci-fi books! If the book is available for 10€ (13 US dollars) or less on The Book Depository it will be in the running.

Over to you!

message 3: by Olga (new)

Olga Godim (olgagodim) | 51 comments Anything from Bujold, Loïs McMaster's Vorkosigan series. My favorite is Komarr, but any other will do. Her The Warrior's Apprentice is hilarious.

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Unsworth (mamahathaway) | 82 comments I know NOTHING about Sci-fi but Ready Player One by Ernest Cline was recently recommended to me!

message 5: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 31 comments WWW: Wake I am not a fan of sci-fi usually, but a friend read this one recently and gave it 5 stars, I think it sounds really interesting and fancied giving it a go.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Unsworth (mamahathaway) | 82 comments I just read a really great review on Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson - so would definitely like this one to be considered!

Robopocalypse

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara (heyxtara) I really want to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline!

message 8: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Thanks for the suggestions, people! Some good ones here.

I'm going to go with Pathfinder (Pathfinder, #1) by Orson Scott Card as I've never read an Orson Scott Wells books before but I know he's a big name in sci-fi.

message 9: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) How about some classic sci-fi?

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

message 11: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
I believe that The Time Machine is one of the ones in the poll for the Classics read in April.

You did make me think of Jules Verne, though, thank you! Would be nice to read Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

message 12: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) hi Rea what is dystopia again how would I know if they are dystopia?

message 13: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1628 comments Mod
I got this off Wikipdedia which may help :)

A dystopia (from Ancient Greek: δυσ-, "bad, hard",[1] and Ancient Greek: τόπος, "place, landscape";[2] alternatively cacotopia,[3][4] or anti-utopia) is the idea of a society in a repressive and controlled state, often under the guise of being utopian, as characterized in books like Brave New World, Nineteen Eighty-Four, and The Iron Heel ("the earliest of the modern Dystopian")[5]. Dystopian societies feature different kinds of repressive social control systems, various forms of active and passive coercion. Ideas and works about dystopian societies often explore the concept of humans abusing technology and humans individually and collectively coping, or not being able to properly cope with technology that has progressed far more rapidly than humanity's spiritual evolution. Dystopian societies are often imagined as police states, with unlimited power over the citizens.

message 14: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) wow thanks Tara I've often wondered what books were dystopia wonder if I could tell now lol

message 15: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
That's pretty much it. With the recent YA market trends it's expanded to also fit societies where something has gone wrong and certain percentage of people have been killed off and those who remain have to survive in the remains of this world (think Forest of Hands and Teeth or The Other Life).

Basically, it's a society that's the opposite of a utopia - utopia being the perfect society. It's a sub-genre of sci-fi and it always takes place on our planet whereas sci-fi can expand to invent new planets. For that reason I consider stories such as Across the Universe and Glow to be sci-fi rather than dystopia as they take place exclusively in space.

Aria ・❥・Midnight Perusing ˚ · . (midnightperusing) Human.4 by Mike A. Lancaster is a good sci-fi book! :D

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Id like to suggest Supernatural Assassin, Black Velvet Volume 1.
If you like Sci-fi, this novel series has it all. If you search on Amazon, you should be able to find it. It's a newly released book by a new author, but its great.

message 18: by Jeshu (new)

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card is a must :)

message 19: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Just a note: the May suggestions topics will be locked at the end of this week. Until then, we're still taking suggestions!

The books suggested will be listed with sequential numbers then a random number generator will be used to pick 10 of these books.

message 20: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Thank you all for you suggestions. This topic will now be locked. The poll will be open on April 1st.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.