Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
Archived: BOM/SGOM > March 2012 BOM: Cinder, by Marissa Meyer

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:50AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments description

By a landslide, the winner for March BOM is...Cinder, by Marissa Meyer. This book is the first in the Lunar Chronicles series.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl... Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀

EXPECT SPOILERS

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Looking forward to this!

message 5: by Heather (last edited Mar 01, 2012 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Picking this up now. Anyone else?

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Still on the library waitlist; but, I should get it soon.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Yeah, it was a long wait at mine too, so I just spent the credit at audible. lol

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments My library has 13 copies and they are all out right now. However, I put myself on the list a while ago and I'm #8. So, if everyone is good about returning it, I should get it this month. Our library has it set up so you can't renew it if someone is waiting for the copy.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Good luck. I'm very intrigued so far. (2hours in).

rameau | 90 comments I have the ebook, but I'm in a middle of another ARC right now. I'll be reading it soon.

Also, Hi!

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Hi, rameau! **waves** ☺

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Hi rameau!

message 13: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) I'm contemplating starting this one tomorrow, Heather....is it still intriguing you?

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Just checked my library; I'm now #6 on the waitlist. ☺

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments ~Megan~ wrote: "I'm contemplating starting this one tomorrow, Heather....is it still intriguing you?"

It is. I'm getting frustrated with work because I keep getting pulled away from it. I really, really like the heroine, Cinder so far! And Iko is adorable.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Finished it. I thought it was really interesting and good overall. Still loved Cinder at the end of it. Can't believe I have to wait a year for the next book to find out what happens next.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

message 17: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Well, that was fast Heather. I'll take as a good sign and assume it's that good!

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments It was. Rather fascinating in a way.

message 19: by Lina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lina | 5563 comments I just started it last night Heather. Still early, but loving the premise.

message 20: by Lina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lina | 5563 comments just finished it, loved it!

rameau | 90 comments I started it earlier today, but I got distracted.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Glad you liked it, CaroB!

rameau | 90 comments Finished it. Wrote a review and everything. I thought the Queen Camilla was a nice touch.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments That was a great review, rameau! Poignant even.

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I moved up to #4 on the waitlist! ☺

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Yay

message 27: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I have to finish a book first and then I'll get started on this.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm now #2 on the library waitlist for this one! Getting there. ☺

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments YAY!

message 30: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) I wasn't sure I was going to be able to read this one, as it was out & had a hold already at the library. I almost bought it, but I'm trying to be good in that department.

Then I stumbled upon the fact that my daughter bought it at the latest book fair at her middle school. Whaaaaaat?!?! I knew this when she brought the books home, but it had slipped my mind somehow. Sheesh.

Anyways, she's almost done with it, so I should be able to read it soon.

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Mar 13, 2012 06:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm #1 on the waitlist now. I just have to get to the library to pick it up when it comes in. Wow. They fine you $3.00 now if you don't pick up the book you put on hold.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Looking forward to what you both think of this one!
And do you have Misers working at your library? lol That's ridiculous!

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Heather wrote: "And do you have Misers working at your library? lol That's ridiculous!"

It is, isn't it? I noticed it sure cut down on the number of books waiting for people on the hold shelf.

message 34: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Lisa Kay wrote: "I'm #1 on the waitlist now. I just have to get to the library to pick it up when it comes in. Wow. They fine you $3.00 now if you don't pick up the book you put on hold."

That's crazy! Mine just holds for a few days, and then goes to the next person if you don't pick it up within those few days.

message 35: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) I read this book earlier in the year and was actually very surprised by how much I loved it. A cyborg Cinderella...didn't know if I could get behind it, but so glad I gave it a chance. Now comes the hard part...waiting!

message 36: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Just a DOH moment. I was going to ask, "Waiting? For what?" DOH! It's the 1st book, says so right in the title. *Slapping forehead*

message 37: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) Kristi wrote: "Just a DOH moment. I was going to ask, "Waiting? For what?" DOH! It's the 1st book, says so right in the title. *Slapping forehead*"

Haha, but the good thing is, at least you caught it!

message 38: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I'm in the middle of another book, but was craving something different, so picked this up. What a fun, quick read! Cinder is no end of spunky and smart, and I love Kai. I am so looking forward to the sequels!

message 39: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) I'm beginning to think I should have picked this one up before another group's read. I'm not enjoying the other so much. Is it so wrong to want good literature to also be good entertainment? I don't mind if it teaches me, educates me, tells me a lesson. I just need it to be an entertaining story in the process. Is that wrong? Am I abnormal?

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Nope, not at all!

message 41: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Kristi wrote: "I'm beginning to think I should have picked this one up before another group's read. I'm not enjoying the other so much. Is it so wrong to want good literature to also be good entertainment?"

Absolutely not wrong! There are many authors (particularly in the classics) who I can read and agree they are excellent writers, but I don't like their styles, their characters, or the stories they tell. So, I find myself not wanting to read them. Still, I admire their skill. I just don't want to spent my precious time reading their books. Fortunately, I like many styles of writing, but want to like the characters, even if they have major flaws.

message 42: by Lina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lina | 5563 comments I couldn't have put it better Lara. I think it's such a pity that "readable" almost seems to be a dirty word in literary circles.

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I don't read a lot of Young Adult, but I'm enjoying this one. Lara is right: it is very "readable." It is a fast, easy read with a fresh spin on an old fairy-tale. It has a nice range of emotions: humor to potential romance, to dealing with prejudice, injustice and death. If the main-point mystery is a bit obvious, I don't really mind. If anyone is interested, Nothing But Reading Challenges is posting DQs at BOM: Cinder.

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments This thread has been archived.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cinder (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marissa Meyer (other topics)