The Hunger Games

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tori (new)

Tori (mstorichick) | 19 comments Mod
Thoughts?

message 2: by Tori (new)

I was surprised that I liked this book as much as I did. Much of it was predictable- and I strongly dislike love triangles.

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Pineo | 9 comments Mod
I was surprised I liked it, too. I had made up my mind not to! :)

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ratcliff I just started reading the books and so far i like it. Will update more after i finish reading them. At first i didnt think i would like it so much but i was hooked after the first chapter.

message 5: by Jenn (new)

You haven't seen the movie yet, have you??

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ratcliff No, i wanted to read the books first.I heard the books explain more then what the movie.

message 7: by Tori (new)

I couldn't wait any longer and made Mark take me to see the movie yesterday. While watching the movie - I was very disappointed! It was a slow start and never captured Mark's interest. He was pissed at the beginning because it reminded him of Nazi Germany (and he didn't let it go). He now refuses to read the book (though, I doubt he would have even if he loved the movie).

Looking back - the movie wasn't terrible. But I don't think I would have liked the movie if I hadn't first read the book. The movie leaves way too many questions.

And - I didn't like the movie's portrayal of Peeta at all. I'll be curious to see how you respond to the movie's Peeta, Jenn. My imaginings of him were WAY different than the director's evidently.

message 8: by Tori (new)

At our book club meeting (on the Catching Fire) we were trying to figure out where Suzanne Collins got the idea for The Hunger Games (or at least what world event she was thinking of at the time of writing it).

I read a Fox News article about her writing of the books - and it kind of answered the question.

Basically, she was up late watching TV, and was tired. She was flipping channels between reality TV and the new of the Iraq war. In her tiredness - the lines blurred and The Hunger Games was born.

Interesting, huh?

message 9: by Jenn (new)

My son said they are already working on making Catching Fire into a movie.

I guess Nazi Germany isn't really a far cry off when you find out that she did base it on the Iraq war somewhat. It's funny where people get the ideas for their novels. I wouldn't have guessed that but now that you said it, I can see it.

Who was your favorite character in the movie and was it the same character in the book?

message 10: by Tori (new)

I did not like Haymitch at all in the books -even after you learned his back story. However, in the movie - Woody Harrelson made me like Haymitch's character.
I thought the actress who played Katniss did an ok job - but the movie doesn't do a very good job of showing her thought processes - so she was a little less likable. Lenny Kravitz as Cinna was a great casting. I will be sad in the next movie when they kill him off.
Donald Sutherland (I think) as President Snow was a good casting call as well.

I liked the guy who played Gale too - but his role in the movie was minimal. I think if I hadn't read the books first - based on the movie alone, I would have been team Gale (then again, I was team Gale in the first book, so maybe things will change in the next movie).

message 11: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Thank you Tori for explaining the thought process behind the Hunger Games series.

message 12: by Jenn (new)

I'm surprised you liked Haymitch. I remember at Book Club you weren't too excited about Woody playing him. I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend.