2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Book 1: Chapters 19-27 *may contain spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments What a stormy ending! So much going on, no one really wins now do they?

I was happy when she found Peeta and they were able to get along. And I really thought that she might be developing feelings for him. How did you feel about that?

What was up with those muttations? That part was very strange to me.

Do you think it was foolish of Thresh to have let Katniss go or did you understand it?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 208 comments It was foolish for Thresh to let Katniss go, but at the same time I understand it. She gave his team mate a "proper" funeral per say, so he was showing respect back to her.

message 3: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments That part had me very emotional--I read it twice.

It was foolish, but sometimes people do foolish things to make something right. It was courageous and a beautiful gesture.

message 4: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments I agree with you both that it was a nice moment, that in the midst of the Games, they could still prove that they were their own people, that there was a part of them that could not be controlled.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) The mutations is what made me not like this book. It was totally sick. A little (a lot) too weird for my taste.

message 6: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments I agree Trevor that it was somehow not in keeping with the rest of the book. I think it could have had the same type of creatures and the same scenes without it being the tributes. Plus for me it created continuity issues because I am sure it was mentioned more than once in the book that the bodies were returned to the Districts for burial, but if they were muttations, how could that be the case?

message 7: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Although I also had a visceral reaction to the muttations (as Collins intended, I'd guess), I didn't think they were actually the tributes, just engineered to look like them. Maybe because I assumed they weren't really the tributes, I didn't find it as sick.

message 8: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Hmm, maybe they weren't then. It was when Collins was describing the eyes that I thought they were. I just thought that the reader would dislike the Capitol/The Games enough without needing to add that and it was like she threw that in to make readers know just how bad they were even though Katniss and Peeta were going to win so technically it was a happy (sort of) ending.

message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Exactly. I already was mad enough at the Capitol and the Gamemakers, I didn't need that extra grossness.

But maybe Kara is right. Although Katniss does seem to think that they are the tributes in the narrative, from what I remember.

message 10: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Oh Katniss thinks they are for sure. But maybe she is supposed to think that way, maybe it's what they want the remaining survivors to think. Or maybe they really are, I don't know.

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I got the impression they were. Of course, reading from Katniss' biased perspective could have influenced me in that direction.

Either way it's creepy. haha

message 12: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments It brings up an interesting point actually... there's tons of bad stuff, inhumane stuff happening throughout almost the whole book to people who are alive. And yet, at least for Trevor and I, the thing that disturbed us most was what apparently happened to people once they were dead and beyond feeling or caring. I am sure there's some profound meaning in that which eludes me, but I will be curious to see how others feel.

message 13: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) My brother (who has read all the books) thinks that it isn't the tributes that were mutated, but the dogs that were mutated to look like the tributes. Or that the eyes of the tributes' corpses were transplanted into the dogs.

message 14: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments My son (who has also read all the books) says I think too much lol.

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) haha what a nice boy. xP

message 16: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bshrib) I was always under the impression that the mutations were the tributes. I never even thought they might just be engineered to look like them. Now I don't really know lol

message 17: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments Im just reading the comments and I dont know now either! I thought they were the real tributes eyes.