2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > Book 1: Chapters 1-6 *may contain spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Well, I must say, the action starts in pretty much right on page 1 and doesn't let up at all does it? I don't know what exactly I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so harsh somehow (I think the fact it is a YA book led me to believe that). So far I am very much enjoying it.

Like Katniss I am wondering if Peeta has other motives or if he is genuinely just untouched by his environment. Also I would really like to learn more of why the Avox had run away from the Capitol. Effie and Cinna's motives also interest me. I wonder if there is more to Effie than first appears and also I wonder if Cinna is not a fan of the Capitol.

message 2: by Alia (new)

Alia (alia22) | 31 comments Tatum wrote: "Well, I must say, the action starts in pretty much right on page 1 and doesn't let up at all does it? I don't know what exactly I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so harsh someh..."

i agree with you , every word just takes your breath away and leave you dazzled and hungry for more.
I had those moments when i read a sentence and start tearing up , and when i read the next one i just laughed out loud. i don't remember a book that played with my emotions like The Hunger Games.
I always pictured as the future being very ..futuristic ? but it never passed my mind that the future might be worst than the past.
i think Katniss is very brave for volunteering instead of her sister , it made me ask myself if I was in her place ,will I do the same?
I couldn't form a solid opinion on Peeta , one time I think he is kind of naive , but then i suspect if there is something more to his actions and words.
i agree that Cinna is not fan of the system and do not agree to it - his words , and i qoute : "How despicable we must seem to you" - unlike Effie which seems very sadistic.

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bshrib) I've read this book a couple of times already, but I always forget that Cinna comes off as kind of cold at the beginning. He is one of my favorite characters in the book and so I don't see him that way at all, so it shocks me every time I re-read the book.

As the first part of the book takes place in the Capitol, I always find myself wondering if this is where we are headed. It disgusts me that a government will watch people die for fun, yet at the same time if you look at certain regions in our world today, we are not so far off from that. There are governments that kill their own people all the time to reinforce their power. It's very sad.

message 4: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I´m done with these chapters and absolutely loving it. I just want to keep reading more and more. And I so want Katniss and Peeta to end up together!

message 5: by Alia (new)

Alia (alia22) | 31 comments Beverly wrote: "I've read this book a couple of times already, but I always forget that Cinna comes off as kind of cold at the beginning. He is one of my favorite characters in the book and so I don't see him that..."

thats exactly what I thought, I guess we headed there already! The world is in its own version of the hunger games with the only difference that everyone is a part of it and there is no winner at the end. We all lose.
i think there is a message in the story more than the eye can see.