2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > Chapters 1-6 *may contain spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Hey Everyone reading 11/22/63! I'm going to be your group leader for this book. I've not done this before, so I will do my best. I've decided to start the book today, since technically it should be March 1, lol. Leap year throws everything off a bit! Plus, it is a long book and I'd like to finish it in a month! :)

Enjoy and discuss away! :)

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Sara wrote: "Thanks again for taking the group leader role for this book! I'm so excited to read it-now I just need to get my hands on a copy :) I'll give the library wait list one more week and then I'll go ah..."

You're welcome! I'm excited to start reading this book, which I planned to yesterday. However, I am in so many challenges this month, I am going to try and get the short fast reads out of the way before I jump into the big long books. It will hopefully feel like I am getting things accomplished that way! Hopefully, this doesn't come back to bite me! LOL

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments I managed to start yesterday. So far, I'm intrigued. Stephen King has always struck me as a fairly lightweight (yet prolific) author (not necessarily bad but just not always my thing), but I've enjoyed the first few chapters. There's emotional depth.

(Can I start discussing things that contain spoilers now, or should I wait a few more days until everyone jumps in? I wouldn't want to spoil anything for anyone, and this is my first buddy read.)

message 4: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments I'm going to jump in. Was anyone else bothered by the lack of explanation for their being a portal to the past? I'm hoping it gets explained somehow later. Although I'm enjoying the book so far, that got to me (probably because I read a lot of science fiction, and there's usually some kind of attempt at explaining the incredible).

This would definitely fall more into the "fantasy" category than the "science fiction" one for me.

message 5: by Sheena (new)

Sheena | 174 comments I just finished chapter 3 and I was unable to sleep because of the huge decision Al gave Jake. So who would go ahead with it?

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Feel free to post in here whatever you would like about the book. I'm a totally bad book leader :/. I'm still only on page 52, because I just can't find time to read it. What I have read is really good though. I'm wanting some of that root beer. It sounds like it tastes good, and I just love root beer.

message 7: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn (katesar) Kara wrote: "I'm going to jump in. Was anyone else bothered by the lack of explanation for their being a portal to the past? I'm hoping it gets explained somehow later. Although I'm enjoying the book so far, th..."

I agree with the fantasy part. I thought for a book to be considered science fiction, then there has to be a plausible explanation for the strange things but somehow I just don't see how this random portal could be explained other than "it just happened like other anomalies in the world".

Having said that, it doesn't really bother me to read about things that are impossible and have no explanation. So far I'm enjoying the book and the crazy time travel stuff.

I'm on about page 90. I'm really curious to see if Jake can prevent Harry's tragic night!

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Chm (froggette) | 26 comments Kara wrote: "I'm going to jump in. Was anyone else bothered by the lack of explanation for their being a portal to the past? I'm hoping it gets explained somehow later. Although I'm enjoying the book so far, th..."

I'm guessing that Al knows more about the portal than he is letting on and some type of explanation will come through. The book does seem to fit in the fantasy category and at times sci-fi, but I still get the horror vibe from the book. Not a gory horror kind of vibe, but on a creepiness level. Especially the Yellow Card Man. I'm hoping we'll learn more about him in the book.

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bshrib) I've never read a Stephen King novel before, so I really had no idea what to expect from this book. I'm a fan of all things time travel, but the portal bothers me too. I definitely think Al is hiding something. I also agree with Jake that it can't be an exact reset every time you go in. Like the Yellow Card Man clearly knows something is up. I think just because you are starting at the same time every time you go into the portal doesn't mean that it's an exact reset. I'm curious to see if we actually find proof of that later on.

So far, I'm really enjoying this book. I think it was definitely a good choice as my first King novel.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ok, I feel bad being group leader and still not getting anywhere with this book. I am sitting down if not tomorrow, thursday, and will complete this book! Then I can join in discussions and not feel like a loser leader!

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I just completed Chapter 6. I am loving this book! The town of Derry seems a bit scary. Definitely not a place I would like to visit, but kudos to Jake/George for trying to help Harry out.

It does seem a bit strange that there is no reason given for the portal (like it just appeared). Hopefully that will be cleared up later on. There is still a bunch of book to go! :)