2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > Part One: pages 5-57 *may contain spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SharHops (new)

SharHops | 45 comments Ok, let me start this off. I haven't actually started the book yet, but here's a question for the group.

What line in the book made you stop and think? What did it make you think about? Was it funny? Profound? Relatable?

message 2: by SharHops (new)

SharHops | 45 comments Possible spoiler ... although it's so soon in the book, that I don't really think that it is.

Already confused. pg 17-18. So what exactly happened? Was Mr.Golan raping the main character? (who up to now has no name!). I wonder what her brother did. It sort of reads as if she told her secret, and then Mr.Golan died the next day.

I had to read it a couple of times, and it's still not clear to me.

message 3: by SharHops (new)

SharHops | 45 comments SharHops wrote: "Ok, let me start this off. I haven't actually started the book yet, but here's a question for the group.

What line in the book made you stop and think? What did it make you think about? Was it fun..."

This line made me stop and think:
"They lived in a temporary world of temporary men; a world that could be broken up and reassembled as easily and quickly as Lego"

When I read this line, I thought of my own life. I am in my early 30's and it seems that I'm always trying something new. There hasn't been much stability lately. I'm always trying to re-invent myself and what I do. It is like Lego.

For some odd reason it also reminded me of the movie "Runaway Bride", where Julia Roberts favourite type of eggs is the same as whatever man she's with at the time. :)

message 4: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Well having read through this whole section I now have a clearer idea on the Mr. Golan thing. But I was the same as you Shar, I went back and re-read, I went back a little farther and re-read some more... and I still was not sure exactly what had happened.

For me right now the whole style of this is very disjointed. I keep feeling as though I am getting little bits and pieces of info given to me that I am supposed to be putting together in some way but I don't know how.

The best part so far is I think the author does well in capturing the mind of a child. How they hear/see things and comprehend yet don't comprehend entirely. How they fit things into their own world view. Like with the Jesus thing. And that, more than any particular sentence right now is what has resonated for me in this book. That she has moments of very profound insight into the mind of a child.

But honestly, 57 pages in, I am not sure if I like the book or not. It's easy enough to read, I want to like it and learn more of the characters and what all is going on with them, but at the same time the style is throwing me off.

message 5: by SharHops (new)

SharHops | 45 comments Tatum - I'm with you on not knowing whether or not I like the book. I don't really know what's going on, or why it's going on. I'm confused.

message 6: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Really it shouldn't be confusing though. I mean, the actual incidents are straight forward enough, it's the style I think. To be honest, I got distracted by another book and haven't read further, though I am hoping to read the next section or two by the end of tomorrow.