Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > 2/27 What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey (new)

Stacey What are you reading during this last week of February?

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I'm 1/2 thru Defending Jacob: A Novel and 1/2 thru State of Wonder. They're both great books, but State of Wonder is a little better at this point.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Raymo (dan_raymo) | 22 comments Slogging through Shantaram. It's a great story and I'm loving the tour through the underbelly of India. It is just bogged down a bit with excessive trite philosophy and bad metaphorical prose. A good editor probably could have cut the size of this book in half and made it brilliant. That being said...Not bad.

message 4: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Working on Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married and having lots of fun with it.

Just started listening to Lottery. So far so good, can't wait to work out so I can get more in.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I am enjoying 11/22/63 by Stephen King which is brilliant.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments I'm currently reading Perfume: The Story of a Murderer having finished The Long Dry by Cynan Jones over the weekend (which the author very kindly sent through to me) and it was awesome. Now to the squallor of France for a change!

message 7: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) I'm at about page 100 in The Night Circus. I like it.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I'm nearly halfway through Amanda Eyre Ward's CLOSE YOUR EYES. I always like Ward's writing and I'm enjoying this book as much as her others.

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I am still reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, which is pretty slow going. And I've started The Glass of Time, which shares the same atmosphere.

message 10: by Sarenna (last edited Feb 29, 2012 07:04AM) (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 16 comments I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and Jaws last night. I have to say, from what I remember from the movie, it was amazingly scary. The book, not so much. Kind of a disappointment. Movie was definitely better IMO. I'm now reading The Help and The Prophet of Yonwood.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (odamom) | 18 comments Sarenna wrote: "I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and Jaws last night. I have to say, from what I remember from the movie, it was amazingly scary. The book..."

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Sandy, where'd your comment go?

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments Still chugging through "It" which is over 1000 pages. Have a few hundred left. It is classic Stephen King creepy. Then I'll go back to Wuthering Heights although I'm trying to resist buying new Sophie Kinsella. She's light and fluffy and her characters are never the brightest of bulbs but they make me laugh. Also resisting new Jodi Piccoult or at least waiting for library copy as her last books have set me into fits of rage!

message 14: by Melki (last edited Mar 01, 2012 02:20AM) (new)

Melki Just started the new Margaret Maron - Three-Day Town.

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Leslie wrote: "Still chugging through "It" which is over 1000 pages. Have a few hundred left. It is classic Stephen King creepy. Then I'll go back to Wuthering Heights although I'm trying to resist buying new Sop..."

The new Sophie Kinsella sounds like a vacation after what you're reading now!

message 16: by Annika (new)

Annika Leslie wrote: "Still chugging through "It" which is over 1000 pages. Have a few hundred left. It is classic Stephen King creepy. Then I'll go back to Wuthering Heights although I'm trying to resist buying new Sop..."

Leslie - I LOVED It until the ending. It was one of those few books that actually gave me nightmares (The Shining and Ghost Story were the others), but it has one of the all time worst endings. I think that's one of my biggest issues with SK. His books are just awesome but I'm usually disappointed by the endings.

message 17: by Annika (new)

Annika Leslie wrote: "Still chugging through "It" which is over 1000 pages. Have a few hundred left. It is classic Stephen King creepy. Then I'll go back to Wuthering Heights although I'm trying to resist buying new Sop..."

I also agree with you about the most recent Jodi Picoult books. Fits of rage is just right!LOL I can't wait to hear what you think of the newed Kinsella if you get it. I just love her stand-alones.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I used to wait, practically salivating, for Jodi Picoult's new books to be released. No more! I barely give them a glance, and I haven't bought one for quite a few years. I even went so far as to take my collection of them out of their coveted spot in my favorite bookcase, give some of them away, and put the rest, primarily her earlier ones, in my least favorite bookcase! Sad, but true.

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments I've finished Perfume: The Story of a Murderer and must admit I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Now moved on to Can't Stand Up for Sitting Down. Jo Brand for a bit of light relief...

message 20: by Sandy (last edited Mar 01, 2012 04:34PM) (new)

Sandy (odamom) | 18 comments I haven't a clue where my message went. What I said was, if I remember correctly that I am reading The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry and Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. Dreamcatcher is the better of the two, but I feel compelled to finish The Templar Legacy simply because I checked it out on my Nook from the local library. Don't want to "waste" it you know!

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments Sorry guys I dont know how to cut copy from phone. Annika- I agree completely with you about his endings. They usually are awful and you are about the 7th person to tell me they especially hate that ending. Seriously random people walk by my work desk and tell me. Lol. Plus a few other friends. So I will let you know. Stacy. I do deserve Kinsella after this and most likely will buy it! Annika I love her standalones more also. With those I don't get the feeling the husband should have left her years ago like the shopaholic !! And Mary and Annika. Yes Jodi has become a disappointment to me. I say every book I won't read her but I always give in. The last two I got as arcs at work at least and I'm determined not to buy this one. Library only ! Anyone read "The Leftovers" by Perotta? I love him and found it in the bargain section already! It's also on my burner. Sorry this is long ramble w little to no punctuation. It's hard on the phone !!!

message 22: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Leslie wrote: "Sorry guys I dont know how to cut copy from phone. Annika- I agree completely with you about his endings. They usually are awful and you are about the 7th person to tell me they especially hate tha..."

Oh, I'm envious you got
The Leftovers from the bargain bin! I love Perrotta!

message 23: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Leslie wrote: "Sorry guys I dont know how to cut copy from phone. Annika- I agree completely with you about his endings. They usually are awful and you are about the 7th person to tell me they especially hate tha..."

I used to run out and buy Picoult as soon as it was available. Now I just wait for it to get to me from PBS. I still haven't read Sing You Home and I've had it for a long time. The Leftovers was good, Perotta's voice definitely shines through.

message 24: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I really liked The Leftovers. I usually get around to reading Picoult's latest book, but always from the library and never in a great hurry. Something just changed with her writing.

message 25: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I have to agree with you, TK, on Picoult's writing. It's not as engaging as it used to be. I still read her hoping for that golden nugget.