Writing Help-Group For Everyone discussion

WRITING INFLUENCES. > Characters

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gigi (new)

Gigi S. (triv_s) | 63 comments Anyone want to talk about the characters in their book?

message 2: by Gigi (new)

Gigi S. (triv_s) | 63 comments I agree with the "villain" balancing out the "hero" but in my stories I tend to have a gray shade of morality where no character could really be considered good or bad. Eccentric is a must. My major project centers around a pair of drug dealers, a woman who may or may not be a canibal and a street urchin. I love writing! You can create anything!

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 130 comments I like bad guys that are like Sauron from the Lord of the rings, the ones that are creepy because you don't know much about them other than that they are evil, and I would like to write one like that but I always end up writing the background in my head and I can't help but include a little bit of it in my stories.

message 4: by Gigi (new)

Gigi S. (triv_s) | 63 comments Yes! Background info can be the thing that makes your character awesome or slow the book down. I always have the urge to describe EVERYTHING because I have the exact picture in my mind.

message 5: by Jonathan, The Wise (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 457 comments Mod
I'm thinking of making a book with one amoral character with another to humanise him. Maybe more short story fodder though. My characters I would like to have to make hard choices - because no one is truly righteous even if they think they are - but mostly do the right thing.

message 6: by Gigi (new)

Gigi S. (triv_s) | 63 comments Sounds like my type of character. I love seeing REAL people even in Sci-Fi and fantasy. We should still be able to relate to a character even if they're dating a vampire or King of the North.

ATM I am struggling with the weirdest characterization problem ever--I am TRYING and kind of failing to make the Mary Sue-ist of Mary Sues. Its a satire of sorts, a side project to just have fun with. This girl--Ugh! She has the Mary Sue looks, the Mary Sue background, the Mary Sue gestures but then every time she opens her mouth I make her say something witty or logical by accident and I smash my forehead against the keyboard/ page.

But yeah...I've just got to read Twilight some more :-P

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Triv wrote: "Sounds like my type of character. I love seeing REAL people even in Sci-Fi and fantasy. We should still be able to relate to a character even if they're dating a vampire or King of the North.

ATM..."

Watch Clueless with Alicia Silverstone a couple of times... that should Mary Sue your thinking pretty well. (P-{D>

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 130 comments The Curmudgeon wrote: "Triv wrote: "Sounds like my type of character. I love seeing REAL people even in Sci-Fi and fantasy. We should still be able to relate to a character even if they're dating a vampire or King of the..."

My thoughts exactly!!!

message 9: by Jonathan, The Wise (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 457 comments Mod
That's the thing I always think of when attempting to write a character. How would I feel if I were in their shoes and ended up in that position. If I were dating a vampire royal would I be overwhelmed and become a little more snobbish? If I were given some great power would I use it responsibly? Things like that.

message 10: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Julius (bookseeker007) | 1781 comments Mod
It took me a great, toilsome amount of time to create proper charecters for the type of writing I've chosen. They grew and built themselves in the telling. Yes, themselves. Allow me to explain: When you start your story with whatever charecter and however many charecters, you have them (so you think) all perfectly planned out. And then as you trod it all out (growing of course with your human or non-human creations all the while) your charecters might begin to say things like, 'Come now, would I really say that?' 'Don't you think I would rather slap him in the nose rather than punch him in the gut?' 'Wouldn't a dagger be more for me than a very long knife?' You get to thinking after that, and (hopefully) you and your creation(s) at last meet eachothers ideas somewhere halfway.

A main charecter of mine happens to be a tall, grim fellow with a temper kept in check but white hot if wakened, endurence I have grown to envy, and a stock of wise sayings that I wish I carried around in my head. Also, I have a villan of the type you like, Linda; dark, decieving, and deleteriously devious. Of pride abound and hate strong he is, and murder lies under him.

message 11: by Linda (last edited Mar 19, 2012 08:16PM) (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 130 comments Also, I have a villan of the type you like, Linda; dark, decieving, and deleteriously devious. Of pride abound and hate strong he is, and murder lies under him.

Oooh, sounds chilling!!

message 12: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Phoebe (theneveronlinechick) | 3313 comments Mod
Wow, good descriptive words! :D

message 13: by Agony (new)

Agony | 124 comments I have a character in my manga that Im writing named salena. She is the head of an orginization of hunters...

message 14: by Redd (new)

Redd Kaiman (reddkaiman) | 8 comments My character is this somewhat introverted girl. She plans things. Some good, some bad.

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 1380 comments Mod
hmmm...... i have loads of charries

message 16: by Redd (new)

Redd Kaiman (reddkaiman) | 8 comments ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 wrote: "hmmm...... i have loads of charries"

What?

i have a lot of characters

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) It's the same for me, I also have a lot of characters. I would love to talk about them but I wouldn't know where to begin.

message 19: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Ariel wrote: "I have a character in my manga that Im writing named salena. She is the head of an orginization of hunters..."

Hunters that hunt what, pray tell?

message 20: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Redd wrote: "My character is this somewhat introverted girl. She plans things. Some good, some bad."

Is she a good guy or a bad guy?

message 21: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Jennifer wrote: "It's the same for me, I also have a lot of characters. I would love to talk about them but I wouldn't know where to begin."

How about by telling us a little bit about your favorite ones, Jen? :P

message 22: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 14, 2013 10:32PM) (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) It's hard to choose between so many, but here are some things about 7 of my favorites.
First off there's DWW. She is the main character of my first published book and a big character throughout the whole Mortal Realm Witch series. At the start she is just learning she is a witch and about her new powers and responsibilities. Although at the start when I wrote her first three stories her personality was based directly off of myself, by the end of the first book she began to develop her own personality. Throughout most of the series DWW is highly responsible, she likes almost everyone, she hates violence of any kind, she can't hurt or kill anyone or anything except for when hunting to take care of animals, such as her wolf pups, and she is often a little too nice and, even though she is in charge of enforcing the rules for all magic users and familiars, she often lets minor things go, where the previous Head of the Witches Council never would have.
Next there is Asantra, DWW's daughter. Unlike DWW Asantra doesn't like mortals or even the Mortal Realm. She has no problems getting into fights with them and occasionally turning them into something with her magic. On more than one occasion Asantra gets into fights with the intent to kill, and once does so with her mom's familiar. When she isn't fighting with someone or something, Asantra is on an adventure of some kind, whether it's an adventure in space or discovering a secret lab, or becoming a superhero, Asantra has a lot of adventures, and almost every time gets in trouble for them. Still she considers the trouble to be worth it. And even for all the trouble she gets into and for as much as she dislikes Mortals she still manages to be the one to save the Mortal Realm at one point.
The next character is Sampson. Throughout the Mortal Realm Witch series, Sampson is the villain. He starts off in the first book, as a kid who wants to take over the Realms, and returns in the next book as a familiar...who still wants to take over the Realms. And in the next book...same problem. Although he only puts his plans into action 3 times. Once in the first book and twice in book four, throughout the whole series Sampson is always presenting a challenge for someone, usually DWW. With Sampson it's often hard to tell what he is really thinking. He is able to lie very smoothly and can easily hide his true feelings and intentions. Sampson is also the one character in my series that I probably wouldn't like in real life, but he is a lot of fun to write about.
Another favorite character of mine is from a story called Pit bull Park. The character is Dreamchaser, who although abandoned by his previous owner in one of the worst places possible, especially for his breeding, never stops believing in a place that other dogs only consider to be a legend. Dreamchaser is really just a friendly and occasionally heroic Pit bull mix puppy trying to find that one person that will look past his breeding and give him a home.
My characters of Spider and Jackal are from my comic book/graphic novel: Spider and Jackal. The dogs are based off the relationship that my two dogs had and features a few stories that actually happened, and variations of things that happened. Spider is an older dog, a Toy Poodle, whose life is disturbed by the arrival of the young Chihuahua, Jackal. Most of his time is spent planning and trying to get rid of the new dog by doing things that he hopes will make Jackal just leave. Jackal is very friendly, excitable, and not the brightest dog around. Jackal meets every challenge thrown at him by Spider with a good attitude and some very creative thinking, which really annoys the older dog. Every time Spider reacts to something Jackal does in a negative way, their owner seems to be around and Spider finds himself constantly getting into trouble. Sometimes Jackal is the one that starts a problem between the two dogs, but Spider still manages to be the one to get into trouble.
The last character is from the story of Wonder Wolf and Wonder Horse. Wonder Horse, or Levi's personality is based off of the real Levi. He is a wacky horse who although is smart, doesn't really do a lot of thinking. Upon meeting his partner and owner, the girl, Wonder Wolf, he introduces himself as Levi, the Wonder Horse, giving away both his identities in the first sentence he ever says. Levi has multiple abilities, from talking to flying. Levi also has the ability to win the trust of any animal smaller than himself, which is something he occasionally finds to be a very useful power. Although he really doesn't know if this ability is a super power or just a natural ability that he has. As Wonder Wolf, Levi enjoys being a hero, but his favorite thing to do is just have fun with Wonder Wolf in her identity of Dillon.
So, that's a little bit about some of my favorite characters.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) Julius wrote: "It took me a great, toilsome amount of time to create proper charecters for the type of writing I've chosen. They grew and built themselves in the telling. Yes, themselves. Allow me to explain: Whe..."

When I began working on Book Three in my series, this began happening all the time. I thought I wanted to write one thing, but my characters seemed to take things in another direction. My character of Asantra does this more than any other character I have ever created. It appears to me that she likes to write her own stories, and actually the ones she is in have become my favorites in the series.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) Triv wrote: "Yes! Background info can be the thing that makes your character awesome or slow the book down. I always have the urge to describe EVERYTHING because I have the exact picture in my mind."

I also want to describe everything and actually, once people started reading my first book, this is one of the first things most people have told me they didn't like about my book. There were too many descriptions for them which slowed down the story. Other people have loved it and since at the start most people liked it, with my next books that I am writing I am trying to incorporate the details throughout the books rather than as much as I usually give at one time.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH thats long!! <3

my fav one of my characters is Luke White ^_^ he is a dark and disboding and nonchalance adn dissdaneful assassin who does anything for money and, apart from small bit of food, he spends the money on better and improved ways of killing.. likke buying weapons (the best of the best) and poisons

message 26: by Agony (new)

Agony | 124 comments O__O

message 27: by Anne (new)

Anne Conley (anneconley) | 3 comments I'm writing a series of books about the archangels, God's "four winds". In each book, the Devil makes an appearance and tries to foil the "plan", playing antagonist. I'm toying with the idea of writing his book when I finish with the angels'. I'm having a hard time figuring out who his love interest would be though...I mean, he's SATAN. Who would fall in love with him?

message 28: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Jennifer wrote: "It's hard to choose between so many, but here are some things about 7 of my favorites.
First off there's DWW. She is the main character of my first published book and a big character throughout th..."

Quite a list! I do like the name Asantra.

message 29: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 wrote: "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH thats long!! <3

my fav one of my characters is Luke White ^_^ he is a dark and disboding and nonchalance adn dissdaneful assassin who does anything ..."

Like White? Where did you get the idea for him?

message 30: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Anne wrote: "I'm writing a series of books about the archangels, God's "four winds". In each book, the Devil makes an appearance and tries to foil the "plan", playing antagonist. I'm toying with the idea of w..."

Hmmmmm....

Julius wrote: "ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 wrote: "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH thats long!! <3

my fav one of my characters is Luke White ^_^ he is a dark and disboding and nonchalance adn dissdaneful assas..."

^_^ nooooooooo idea ^_^ well originally i just needed a male character and i was like... name? name? name? and i was reading PJO at the time XD and the name Luke popped into my mind cause i liked the sound of it so i was like... last name? Luke... luke... luke.... Luke white!!! sounds cool no? and ironic cause he is SOOOO not white ^_^ andn then as i said before he was all goody goody.. i got bored with him and once i was rping and i had to make an evil character... then BOOF i made him into a cold blooded assasin ^_^ jks.. not r eally jks i forget but as i got better at writing he developed into my fav character of al times ^_^

message 32: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Well, cooler, that's the power of your imagination!

hhehehe too true lol ^^

message 34: by Julius, He Who Arises in Might (:D) (new)

Princess and pink? Fairy tale indeed.

『ᴡɪᴄᴋʟɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴀsʜ ● ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ』 (wickling) | 14 comments I'm currently having trouble picking the main characters for one of the series I want to write.

A friend helped me decide on a female lead, but I need help picking what gender, and species, should the mentor be? He or she helps the protagonist understand how the Otherworld works. She or he might fall into the Trickster Mentor archetype. He or she would be either a vampire, witch or werewolf.

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 58 comments Witch seems more of the teacher role to me. What kind of name was you looking for?

『ᴡɪᴄᴋʟɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴀsʜ ● ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ』 (wickling) | 14 comments Iesha (In east shade house at...) wrote: "Witch seems more of the teacher role to me. What kind of name was you looking for?"

It depends on the gender. Also struggling on whether or not 'wizard' should be a male witch or a different species.

message 38: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Hmmm... I don't think anyone else has ever thought of putting witches and wizards in different species before.

Isn't it naturally assumed a 'wizard' is a male witch?

『ᴡɪᴄᴋʟɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴀsʜ ● ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ』 (wickling) | 14 comments Phoebe wrote: "Hmmm... I don't think anyone else has ever thought of putting witches and wizards in different species before.

Isn't it naturally assumed a 'wizard' is a male witch?"

No.

Religion-wise, a male witch is a witch.

Warlock and Witch do not share the same root word as Witch.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Let's just say that I have 20+ characters from different timeline.
1900-Present.

message 41: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

Nice, Shine! :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks! They were inspired by Avengers, Asgardians, Jotuns, and Dark Elves.

message 43: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

I'll admit, those are some great sources!

Avengers is some pretty good thinking material, too. :)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I know! *fangirl squeals*

message 45: by Phoebe, TheInvincibleRabbit (new)

PinkLoki(Shine) RULER OF: CrimsonPeak, Asgard, Jotunheim, Midgard, AvengersTower wrote: "I know! *fangirl squeals*"

*Squeals with you*