Zelda Rocks your Socks!! discussion

Skyward Sword > Is it just me....

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

Hylian Princess  (hylianprincess) | 722 comments Mod
Is it just me, or are the creators of the Legend of Zelda series loosing their creativity?

Recently the games have been following the same pattern with littler variation and I've noticed it a ton in this game.
It seems like they take the previous games and change the theme.
Like instead of a horse or boat, they got a bird.
And they always have the water, fire and earth temples, which makes sense because of the triforce, but I haven't seen many variations on that since OoT, which had other temples too.
Even the supporting characters are the same. See: http://nintendoeverything.com/80403/s...
But maybe I'm just being a brat and this was done intentionally to show a relationship between the two games.
Also, Phantom Hour Glass is basically a remake of Wind Waker.

Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. What do you think?

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 362 comments I think that the creators have a hard time balancing fans who want to see something new at the same time as fans who want a Zelda game to feel like...previous Zelda games. You have to keep a fine line of being familiar and being too...out there. I'm the type of person who is perfectly fine and prefers Zelda games to feel the same as older games because that is what I loved about them so I want to see it again. For instance I hope Link will always have a sword and not a gun type of thing. I'm fine with the same temple theme being repeated, as long as they have new challenges to go with it.

message 3: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

Well, I personally love old aspects too! Like the fairy and a magical instrument! I miss his horse all the time. But at the same time, couldn't they change more things? Like does Beetle have to show up in every game made after Wind Waker? Honestly, that takes away from the novelty of WW! And they could mix up the plot lines and the puzzles too. I feel like I've already solved the temples before I even enter because I know the patterns the puzzles tend to have in these games.
However, I must admit that most of the similarities are between the less mainstream Zelda games, like Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, etc. Ocarina of Time, Majories Mask, Wink Waker, and Twlight Princess do have original plots. I don't know about Skyward Sword's plot, but so far, game play has felt too similar and there hasn't been much of a challenge to the puzzles because they don't feel new.

message 4: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 362 comments Well just seeing trailers and stuff about SS I think they've got some pretty unique stuff like upgrading your equipment or searching and finding with your sword. I've also visited the SS website and learned some cool stuff without playing it like apparently parts of the landscape change after you've already been there so you can go to the same place later on and have different challenges. I wouldn't know whether to agree or disagree about the puzzles not being challenging but I agree the mainstream games are all very different whereas the offshoot games are pretty similar.

message 5: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

Yeah, my brother really like that your shield will break and that you can upgrade and such. I didn't know that about the landscape. I like that idea.
There are definitely patterns to the puzzles in most of the games. Maybe because they don't really change the weapons very much. Of course you're going to have your bow and arrow, but I feel like the new items are just rather lame twists on the items you get on the other games. I think at least one new and stunning item should come out in each game. Wind Waker, I feel, was very creative, with variety in items, puzzles and plot. But I also feel that Skyward takes a lot from Wind Waker, which I don't like.
I wish I knew the plot of SS. Maybe it's really creative. Oh, the fact that Link and Zelda grew up together is new. I like that.
But I guess my qualm really is with the offshoot games, and not the mainstream games.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (thefrenchhornguy) | 23 comments What are you guys talking about. The games are very different. And same supporting characters is totally off. In SS you got Groose. Name one other Zelda game where an person who hated you became friends with you and built a moveable cannon.

message 7: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

That's very minor, in my opinion. But just watch, some minor game for the newest version of the DS will come out that is a lot like Skyward.

message 8: by Rachael (last edited Apr 14, 2012 08:27PM) (new)

Rachael | 362 comments Michael wrote: "What are you guys talking about. The games are very different. And same supporting characters is totally off. In SS you got Groose. Name one other Zelda game where an person who hated you became fr..."

Well Mido sort of becomes friends with you after he hated you in Ocarina of Time, at least he apologizes. Though he doesn't build a cannon. Also, the games are the same in that you almost always save Princess Zelda, and the Temples are usually the same themes. The only two games I can think of that you don't save Princess Zelda are Oracle of Ages where you save Nayru and Oracle of Seasons where you save Din. But then it culminates to you needing to save Zelda on the linked games because the kidnapping of Din and Nayru were part of a larger plot dealing with Zelda so even that uniqueness is sort of taken away.

message 9: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

I guess Spirit Tracks in unique in that you save Zelda's body.. not Zelda.. lol.

message 10: by Roedburn (new)

Roedburn | 72 comments SS starts of feeling like nothing new but then really picks up later in the game with the Ancient Cistern and Sandship dungeons. I also think it's unique with Ghirahim. He deffinately has the most personality of any villain and unlike Ganondorf who mostly hides in his castle, Ghirahim activley tries to stop Link. He's the only villain I can think of that you fight three separate times throughout the game.

message 11: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 362 comments Yeah, there are a few games where you fight the main boss twice throughout the game, like in WW and OoT for Phantom Ganon before the real Ganon, but not three times.

message 12: by Roedburn (last edited May 12, 2012 02:11PM) (new)

Roedburn | 72 comments i wouldn't exactly call phantom ganon the same as ganon
but they are similar.

message 13: by Roedburn (new)

Roedburn | 72 comments aghanim from a link to the past also.

message 14: by Rachael (last edited May 12, 2012 02:59PM) (new)

Rachael | 362 comments And Veran from Oracle of Ages.

message 15: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

Okay, I've played further in this game and I take back my original opinion. I was bummed by the first temple because it felt easy and cookie cutter to me, but since then I have really enjoyed the game play! I'll finish a temple or a boss and I'll think, wow, that was way fun. The game did grow more challenging and intriguing.

As for other elements that are the same, I got the big green Historia of Hylia book that NIntendo released and is really cool and shows how all the games connect.

message 16: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 362 comments Cool!

message 17: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

Have you played Skyward?

message 18: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 362 comments A little, my brother bought it so I've only beaten Ghirahim for the first time so I haven't gotten very far. My brother moved away too so I haven't had the chance to play it any more.

message 19: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

aw dang! It has ended up being a very fun game. I've really enjoyed it.

message 20: by Roedburn (last edited Feb 10, 2016 07:35PM) (new)

Roedburn | 72 comments Yay, you finally got to play it more! As of now I honestly think that Skyward Sword might (emphasis on might) be my favorite Zelda game.

message 21: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

I've almost finished it!! I'm pretty much at the final boss. I just got the Triforce. They did an excellent job with that little mini temple, by the way. I really enjoyed it.

message 22: by Roedburn (new)

Roedburn | 72 comments That temple was really neat. The sliding square puzzle was a very interesting mechanic for a dungeon. I have to ask, what was your favorite dungeon in the game?

message 23: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

hmm.. I'm not sure. I liked the way they were able to over lap the three lands without it feeling lame or redundant. The Silent Realms were terrifying, but awesome. I had a love hate relationship with the amount of large bosses you had to fight throughout the game.

message 24: by Roedburn (new)

Roedburn | 72 comments I thought it was fun that there were several boss fights outside of dungeons. Except for the Imprisoned fights, those got really irritating. My favorite boss in the game (and maybe the whole series) is Koloktos. That fight was so intense and amazing.

message 25: by Hylian Princess , That's Princess, to you (new)

The Imprisoned were intense, but okay because they weren't terribly long.

Oh my gosh, that battle almost kicked my butt. I think I died the first time I tried it.