What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Motel of the Mysteries
This topic is about Motel of the Mysteries
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > satire book about the world being overrun with junk mail, scientists explore it in the future.[s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris | 7 comments This book was another i read in school, basically the world had become overrun with junk mail. and the whole species basically died off, and the ones who didnt built a new civilization on top of what once was.

well the book is a satire about the scientists in the future exploring what was left and making assumptions about what we used things for.

There was once scene where they were in a bathroom, and referred to a toilet seat as a "ceremonial headdress" and the toilet as a shrine, and so forth and so on. there was a skeleton on the bed with the remote in its hand watching tv.

The book was pretty large and had very vivid illustrations for some of the scenes.

id really love to find it if anyones heard of it. Thanks

message 2: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments I've read this book too, or at least heard of it, but I am coming up blank as to title and author. Could it have been a short story you read with this plot? My very vague memory seems to be of a short story...

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris | 7 comments possibly. it was published in a hardback, i believed it was a standalone title, but its been so long i can hardly remember. I remember it being pretty clever and amusing, and id love to give it another read sometime.

Michelle Mulford | 112 comments Ooh, ooh, I know this one! Motel of the Mysteries. I love this guy's sense of humor; he also did a lot of funny children's books.

Pogue (nulaanne) | 113 comments I just read this about a week ago. It is The Motel of Mysteries.

message 6: by Tess (new)

Tess | 438 comments yup, for sure Motel of the Mysteries! hope you enjoy!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Interestingly, my library shelved this 96p book as non-fiction, in 818...

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 108 comments A fourth vote for Motel of the Mysteries. Man, I just loved this book.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris | 7 comments you guys are AWESOME! Thanks!

message 10: by HeavyReader (last edited Feb 27, 2012 05:46PM) (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments I am going to move this to the adult FICTION folder. I think putting it in the nonfiction folder was a mistake, yes? I know Cheryl said her library shelved it as non-fiction, but am I right thinking that was a mistake? (Forgive me lovers of the Dewey Decimal System, but I don't know what goes in the 818 section.) If I'm goofing up and this is nonfiction, I promise to move to the correct folder.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris | 7 comments Yes, oops. sorry. my mistake. Thanks again

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Well, it's 'literature.' Poetry, essays, Shakespeare, etc, are shelved in non-fiction in libraries that use the DDS.

But I would imagine that it 'feels like' fiction, and for the intents of this group counts as fiction. The moderators should have the final say, of course.