Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Off Topic Chat > Question about plagarism and copyright laws

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (closer2coma86) | 83 comments So, here's the deal. I friend of mine crushed her hands in a car accident a few months back. As part of the rehabilitation, her physical therapist wants her type on the computer for a few hours a day (her bones have healed, but shes having trouble with flexibility and movement. ) She figures that she will find a few books that she owns and convert them to ebooks. BY TYPING EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THE WHOLE BOOK ON THE COMPUTER and sending them as a PDF file to her kindle. She is not distributing them, but merely figures if she has to type, why not do this? I'm concerned about plagiarism and copyright laws. What do you think?

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (closer2coma86) | 83 comments The books she does this to would be for her own digital reading use. She already owns the physical copies.

message 3: by Aurora (new)

Aurora Celeste | 25 comments I don't think there would be a problem if she copies her own books for her own use. You can do what you want with your own books. It would be trouble if she started distributing copies of the book in typed format, but if she deletes them when she's done or otherwise secures them so that she's only using them herself then it is not a copyright violation (as far as I know).

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments If she had books that were in the public domain (such as the project Gutenberg books http://www.gutenberg.org/) she could even distribute them no problem.

But as long as she's not selling or giving away the books then there's no problem. You can make copies for personal use (and educational to an extent) but distributing them is the problem.