Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
Okay on the whole I hate reality TV...but this is the third season of Top Shot and also there's a spin off this year, Top Gun...watching both.

And, am I (as I asked elsewhere) the only one watching Full Metal Jousting?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the little I saw of National Geographic's Preppers

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4671 comments Mod
I haven't watched Full Metal Jousting. I thought about it.

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana I have two weeks of The River to catch up on. I haven't heard much about the show since its premiere. Is it any good? I also have 3 weeks of Once Upon A time and 5 weeks of Supernatural to catch up on. Yes, my television viewing has been severely slipping.

And I hate reality shows.

I'm looking to watching Touch, and some drama show about a female FBI agent whose son goes missing. I can't remember the title though. Television is good so far this year!

I HATE reality shows to. Top Shot is a shooting competition that starts out with a group who competed to be there and then get eliminated one each week. They shoot a variety of weapons at different targets and in different challenges.

Top Gun is about just that, different guns.

Full Metal Jousting is what it says. Competitive Jousting.

message 6: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
David wrote: "I have two weeks of The River to catch up on. I haven't heard much about the show since its premiere. Is it any good? I also have 3 weeks of Once Upon A time and 5 weeks of Supernatural to catch..."

That's Ashley Judd's show right? "Touch"

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4671 comments Mod
Oh, Touch looks verra interesting.

I admit, I watch some reality tv. It can be a bit of a train wreck that I can't look away from.

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Jenna The Ashley judd show is called : Missing. lol. It starts on Match 15.

I am in agreement with many of you in that I HATE reality tv. I watch none of it.

And Breakout Kings just startes its new season!

message 9: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I'm not a fan of reality TV. Reality TV... what an oxymoron, it's kind of like..."military intelligence." or "Jumbo Shrimp."

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I guess I'm in the minority here. I like some reality TV. Just two anyway, Idol and So You Think You can Dance.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

You and me can stand together, Eileen. I watch a lot of it, if you count Food Network, DIY Network, and TLC.

message 12: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1962 comments Mod
Those are some of my favorites as well Danielle...right now I am watching Worst Cooks in America with Bobby Flay and Anne Burrell...thinking of nominating my husband for the next season :)

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I've been watching that too, Lisa. It's kind of hard to believe some of them are that bad, huh?

message 14: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1962 comments Mod
I know, and some of them seem to be trying so hard too.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Yup. They are weeding out some of the more hopeless cases. Some of them just need confidence and some training, and they would actually be very good cooks.

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Eileen wrote: "I guess I'm in the minority here. I like some reality TV. Just two anyway, Idol and So You Think You can Dance."

Okay, hate idol, but, I can say I like "So You Think You Can Dance." I can live with The Great American Race (or what ever it's called) because it's all acheivement driven. Come in first stay, come in last go home. I still hate the bitchin' that comes with it.

SYTYCD...yea, I can enjoy that one. I'm falling out of favor with Dancign With the Stars.

I hate Idol, or did i say that already. And, i think it's fair to say that there are other shows that qualify as "Reality Tv" that we don't think of as Reality Tv because they don't invovle a contest of some sort. Probably some of those I can live with too.

So, it is not fair for ME to say, I hate ALL Reality Tv. I retract that. I don't like much of it.

message 17: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Okay, I'm "diggin'" alcatraz for now, but...cute little hot blonde chick cop should know better than sleeping with her window open, when her bedroom is next to a fire escape.

I'm just sayin...

I get you. There's a lot of that in Alcatraz...going in alone with no one to back you up. Going somewhere dangerous without letting anyone know you're going, on and on. I keep watching it because there's nothing else I really want to watch I guess. LOL Hope it shapes up a bit more.

I was a little annoyed at Person of Interest this week...but not a lot. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Regarding Person of Interest: (view spoiler)

Agree. It was a "rock and hard place" situation. I just thought John should have had something prepared. (view spoiler)

I think they're setting up (view spoiler)

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Mar 16, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

I agree with your second spoiler. I got the same impression.

message 23: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments Jenna wrote: "The Ashley judd show is called : Missing. lol. It starts on Match 15.

I am in agreement with many of you in that I HATE reality tv. I watch none of it.

And Breakout Kings just startes its ..."

Breakout Kings has been good the first two episodes this season. I won't spoil it, but the first one was powerful and not expected.

The dark haired woman...growing on me. She needs her own A/A movie...gotta do something with the arch to those eyebrows though, looks evil. Hot, but evil.

Splitter

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Yeah, that was something on Breakout Kings. Not sure how I feel about that.

message 25: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Uh..que es qu ce..."hot but evil?" eh... es senorita mui bonita?

message 26: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments Yeah, she is way hot if you like the dangerous type...not that I speak Spanish though lol.

Just saw Touch. Best new show I have seen in a long, long time. The premise and story telling are amazing.

Splitter

message 27: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Never heard of Touch, have to check this one out.

message 28: by Jenna (new)

Jenna I haven't checked out Touch yet, but I'm really liking Awake!

message 29: by new_user (new)

new_user I like reality TV when talent/skill are involved. So I won't watch Survivor, but I will watch designers or entrepreneurs, etc.

I love Top Shot and FMJousting! I have the Jousting finale recorded. That Josh Knowles is such a funny character. I think he played a villain too long, LOL. He's absorbed the character. I like Top Shot best when they use obscure weapons or stunts, like the shooting while in a moving vehicle (legal drive-by, LOL.) I thought seasons 1 and 2 had the best people. I haven't watched Top Gun. Is it any good?

Pretty good. Same host as Top Shot. They generally take the guns used on Top Shot that week (or comparable ones, not cannons, machine guns and all the esoteric hardware. Rifles, shotguns and pistols) and have a couple of guest shooters. (A lot of times people from prior seasons of Top Shot). They have 3 different guns each week. They test shoot each one and then have a sort of competition between the 3 as the finish of the show Colby uses one and the other two will take one.

message 31: by new_user (new)

new_user Hm, maybe I'll try and catch it then. I have to admit it doesn't sound as exciting as TS. Thanks though!

message 32: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Well this may be a bit of a spoiler for Top Gun, but I can't resist the best recruting video ever made for Naval Aviation (The big Dogfight from Top Gun).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HPrIe...

I's still just too cool.

message 33: by Eileen (new)

Eileen One of my all time favorite movies. I heard they're making another Top Gun movie.

We weren't talking about the movie Top Gun but a TV series where shooters qualify and take part in a competition over the length of the TV season to win $100,000.

Though I'm glad you like the movie. Hadn't heard there was to be another.

message 35: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Yes, with Colby from Survivor Outback (II) hosting. I've seen it. Interesting format... they've shot some cool events there.

message 36: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Never seen the show.

message 37: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

the shoot a lot of guns.

message 38: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

It's the kind of thing that MHI mentions through Owen pit. Lots of different target shooting, speed shooting and other things. Teams go at it, somebody goes home if their team looses.

message 39: by new_user (new)

new_user I'm ignorant here, Curmudgeon. What's MHI?

message 40: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

It's on my Profile.. but I'll cut and paste it here.

Curmdgeon - noun, a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person.

Origin: 1570–80; unexplained; perhaps cur- representing cur

Related forms: cur·mudg·eon·ly, adjective

Synonyms: grouch, crank, bear, sourpuss, crosspatch.

message 41: by Eileen (new)

Eileen new_user wrote: "I'm ignorant here, Curmudgeon. What's MHI?"

Monster Hunter International

message 42: by new_user (new)

new_user Thanks, Eileen.

message 43: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Monster Hunt... oh.. thanks E. its a fun book.

message 44: by Eileen (new)

Eileen No problem!

If you haven't read it you should, New. It has everything I like in a A/A book.

message 45: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Yes, read Monster Hunter International. It's really fun!

message 46: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL! Thanks, guys, I've added it to the TBR! Hope I like it too. :)

message 47: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Don't lit it die on your TBR... for two reasons... one, it'll come back, and things that come back from the dead aren't very nice... and two... boy fun book you'll love it! (I hope as much as I did)

message 48: by new_user (new)

new_user Er, I go to look for excerpts and I come across Correia's blog...

message 49: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited May 10, 2012 02:30AM) (new)

Or here for kindle

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1024-mons...

Six US Dollars makes this a good buy.

The home page for Baen Books.

http://www.baenebooks.com/default.aspx

They have some interesting titles here too.

You can also get it from Amazon but not in Kindle format (Baenbooks is where you go for kindle, nook ebook etc.)

Make sure you put in Monster Hunter International #1.

Monster Hunter Alpha is actually book three.

message 50: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 449 comments Curmudgeon wrote: "Or here for kindle

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1024-mons...

"

Darn it. Didn't look far enough. Got the first two in paperback but will go here for "Alpha" ...

Obviously, not ready to quit on this one!

« previous 1