Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > Full Metal Jousting

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Am I the only one watching Full Metal Jousting?

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I saw a bit of it yesterday. I caught it at a slow spot and ended up napping instead, lol. How is it?

message 3: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Kind of like watching a medieval demolition derby.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Yeah. They spend the first half hour with training and so on but the last half hour is straight jousting. 1 point fore a touch, 5 points for a broken lance, 10 points if you unhorse the other guy...

I'm a little ashamed of watching it as the guys could get hurt. I suppose we'll have gladiatorial combat on TV next...

But I've caught this every week since it came on. S.J.'s description is pretty close.

message 5: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Jai-alai is probably more dangerous, but people still play it. I'm kind of hoping that the jousting catches on, but I'm a bit too old to try it myself. I've gone a few rounds in the Fighting Circle at the local Renaissance Fair, though.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I keep meaning to watch it, but keep forgetting. I really must remember to set my DVR.

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'll watch it...but I've read waaaay too much David Eddings to feel comfortable putting on a case of metal and then running a horse full tilt at another metal encased person.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) During high school, I lived behind the local community center, and they would have jousting late in the afternoon every Thursday.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky I love jousting. I used to work at the Renfaires, and some of them had real jousting, the others were scripted, or more like stunt shows. I'd love to watch this show, but I havent had cable in 6 years... so I will have to wait until it comes to Netflix, though we may be making a switch to hulu plus soon.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I've never attended any of these types of fairs/events. :(

My hometown is a little conservative and we didn't have stuff like this - it would have been considered too weird. :(

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 572 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I'll watch it...but I've read waaaay too much David Eddings to feel comfortable putting on a case of metal and then running a horse full tilt at another metal encased person."

I don't watch much TV, have seen some of the jousting clips on YouTube however. Have to say in my 20s I'd have loved it. But then I also loved the movie "National Velvet" and wanted to do that ... where you're riding a horse at a dead gallop over fences higher than his head!

MrsJoseph wrote: "My hometown is a little conservative and we didn't have stuff like this - it would have been considered too weird. :("

We didn't have jousting, but I'm not sure it was because it would have been considered weird. Not sure 'weird' might not be applied as well to races involving a horse and rider pulling a skier down a packed snow track, over small jumps. And they did that every winter!

Weird, in MT and WY was someone in white breeches and a top hat riding a horse around an dressage arena, mostly at a walk and trot. I've heard cowboy types suggest it's as exciting as watching grass grow.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments On now...9:00 Central Sunday night.