Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

I Now Need Therapy...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Dannielle (last edited Feb 26, 2012 07:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dannielle I am completely, and utterly damaged by Mockingjay. I just started the Hunger Game series two weeks ago, and finished the last book today. I got no sense of closure, and because I got so attached to these characters I literally feel depressed.

Why does she abandon Gale? I know he indirectly caused Prim's death, but I really want to know more about how HIS life turned out as well, seeing that Katniss isnt the only victim here. And since this is the last book, its impossible to know for a fact how Gale Hawthorne manages to move on without his best friend and essentially the girl he loved, in his life. We can only guess, and guessing still leaves me feeling empty .. and not to mention, sad.

& Why the hell does everyone spontaneously meet their end? Finnick (which still leaves me shocked and upset), Boggs, Cinna, Prim (so unexpected) ect. ect.
It's just a blood bath.

Any encouraging words or similar reactions?

Kirby there, there
*pats back*

Ziyue I'm just sad tht everyone dies, but then it's one of those bittersweet books. I get used to them.
*sighs*

Nicole Dannielle wrote: "I am completely, and utterly damaged by Mockingjay. I just started the Hunger Game series two weeks ago, and finished the last book today. I got no sense of closure, and because I got so attached t..."

That is EXACTLY how I felt! I couldn't have said it better. The last word in the series left me hanging. Like... oookay? Now what? It just kind of ends.

Dannielle So GLAD to know people feel the same. I'm still in shock. I need to buy some new books to get my mind off of this.

Marisa Dannielle wrote: "I am completely, and utterly damaged by Mockingjay. I just started the Hunger Game series two weeks ago, and finished the last book today. I got no sense of closure, and because I got so attached t..."

That is exactly how I felt. I read the books over a month ago and I still have days when I'm like "what the hell happened?" I think if Suzanne Collins would have just given us some info about Gale's life after Katniss then I would have had closure. I also, think that the ending was quite confusing and leaves more unanswered questions. I'm pretty sure I walked around in a daze after I finished Mockingjay but it does get better.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Marisa wrote: "Dannielle wrote: "I am completely, and utterly damaged by Mockingjay. I just started the Hunger Game series two weeks ago, and finished the last book today. I got no sense of closure, and because I..."

i really need to know what happened to gale and haymitch!

message 8: by Charlotte (last edited Feb 27, 2012 03:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte I know, I feel the same. I still love the series. But I woulnd't say Katniss abondend Gale, it's more like the other way around.

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee I think Gale and Katniss drifting apart is a good representation of what happens to people in life...you grow, you change, you dont' stay the same - in the end, he became more invovled with the civil war, and she didn't really want to be involved and that lead to more differences between them

JulieLaLa I love your comment re: needing therapy! I would have needed some during the reading of this series! I had the worst nightmares as I read these books!
For me, everything about this series was great: the unexpected deaths, the starkness, sometimes I felt there was a lack of emotion on Katniss' part, it all felt correct for someone living in this harsh, war-torn world.
Just take it easy and read something fun and uplifting to change your mood!

Melanie I was disappointed in how the series had ended. Gale knew that Katniss would choose the one to take care of her. I think unlike most books, movies, television shows Katniss chose "the good guy" because Gale had been "the rebel" or "the bad boy" normally chosen by the female lead. He knew Katniss and moved on with his life - and I hope he found happiness working in security and maybe even find another girl that had the spirit Katniss had before The Games.

Christina I swear I went into a depression, but after some consoling from friends at Goodreads, and my rants, I turned out okay ; ) To make yourself feel better, go and re-read Finnick's underwear scene : ) Made me feel better! And I re-read Catching Fire and Hunger Games, because nothing can make me feel better than that.

Just remember that even though it was really hard to get through, it was real. And you can't change what happens in war. And Gale, poor Gale, I think he was just crushed that even though he didn't purposely kill Prim, it was his bombs, but I couldn't go back and face Katniss either.

Don't worry, I was right there with you!!!

Becca Marisa wrote: "I walked around in a daze after I finished Mockingjay but it does get better. "

This is EXACTLY how I felt after finishing the last book. These books were of the most amazing works I ever read, but they were unbelievably difficult to read. But this is dystopia, and this is war.
And about Finnick - his death took me completely off guard. And rereading his funny banters with Katniss doesn't help, only makes it harder.

Bridget etc,etc**(et cetera) Sorry, it's Latin, and I couldn't help but correct you! Anyway, just finished Mockingjay this morning and I too am feeling dazed and somewhat depressed. Definitely let down. I fell in love with the characters and it made it so hard when it seems to end abruptly. I felt sad about her not ending up with Gale, but I think I would have felt the same way if she hadn't ended up with Peeta. I don't know, the ending was just not satisfying. I want more! I want details about Gale's life, how he managed to move on like that and never even come back to visit her. I guess maybe he decided it was best to make a clean break, and not keep picking at the same wounds. Her sister dying was what finally killed their relationship. I also had a hard time understanding Katniss's lack of emotion. I am a much more emotional person, so I couldn't really comprehend how she could be so cold and seemingly aloof to Peeta's or Gale's feelings towards her. Gee, I wish I had two guys who had unconditional love for me, that must be rough! I did love the books, but I have bittersweet feelings now that I'm finished with them.

message 15: by Fran (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fran Whenever I'm mad or sad even if it has nothing to do with THG I reread Finnick's underwear scene. They better put that in the third movie and to an amazing job!!!

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly I didn't have this problem with this particular book, but I have had this problem before. It usually helps to find other books to get into.

I also think Fanfiction helps a lot. There are people out there who want closure just as much as you, and a good deal of them are creating their own closure by making up their own endings for there series, fleshing out characters and their histories, developing the places more, and fleshing out the events that are only mentioned briefly in the books, like Cinna's death. Fanfiction may not be canon, but it does help. Sometimes, it's nice to see the story go on, even after it's officially ended.

Askale I feel that she did give closure because Katniss and Gale both know that she will never be able to get past the death of her sister with the thought of Gale having part of it.

message 18: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric I agree with OP, I was so disatisfied with the outcome of this book. At one point, I think when finnick died, I felt like she was just trying to write everyone out of the story so I literally read every page waiting for the next character to get murdered. It was not a happy ending which is fine, but seriously you don't need to leave loose ends to a sad story. At least let me know the outcome so I don't have to dwell on the terrible scenario you left playing in my head. Oh well, again like the OP gonna try and find another good book to read to get this nonsense of an ending out of my brain.

Emily Dannielle wrote: "I am completely, and utterly damaged by Mockingjay. I just started the Hunger Game series two weeks ago, and finished the last book today. I got no sense of closure, and because I got so attached t..."

I, too, became very attached to these characters. I don't think Katniss abandons Gale. He doesn't go back to District 12 of his own accord. There are hints that he will move on and meet someone new like when Katniss thinks about him kissing someone else. Also, I believe the fact that she and Gale have no "closure" to their relationship means the friendship lives on. I feel they remain friends, but they were never meant to be lovers.

Jaclyn Lore - Edwards I thought that there was a BIG part missing in the ending! I don't know what it nessicarliy is, but it felt incomplete.

message 21: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth i think theres a point to gale and katniss ending without closure. It kinda shows that not every relationship ends well and on good terms, especially after having gone through what they both did. I think its important to remember that sometimes people do drift apart and sometimes things just don't work out. After everything they went through together and apart i found it highly unlikely that they should end all happy and lovely rainbows and flowers. In an ideal world maybe, but i think its important to remember that an ideal world doesn't exist. They both moved on and i don't think theres any real anger in their departure from each other. Its just the way things worked out and its the way it probably would of in a real world scenario.

Kasey Personally, I think it was brilliant. It shouldn't have had a skip off into the sunset ending. It was a depressing series. It wasn't like just because the capital collapsed that everything was suddenly going to be perfect.

Apollo The many deaths in the book made me sad and the end left me a bit lost. But I still love the books with all my heart.

message 24: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Kasey wrote: "Personally, I think it was brilliant. It shouldn't have had a skip off into the sunset ending. It was a depressing series. It wasn't like just because the capital collapsed that everything was sudd..."

I agree. I loved the books because they were somewhat real. I don't think that it needed to have a happy, wonderful, everything is perfect ending. The books were about an imperfect world. The ending kinda renforces that.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

JulieLaLa wrote: "I love your comment re: needing therapy! I would have needed some during the reading of this series! I had the worst nightmares as I read these books!
For me, everything about this series was grea..."

agree!

Helen Stevens Nadiraalisha wrote: "Marisa wrote: "Dannielle wrote: "I am completely, and utterly damaged by Mockingjay. I just started the Hunger Game series two weeks ago, and finished the last book today. I got no sense of closure..."

maybe she left it open so that people could make up their own minds about Gale and other Characters...and maybe so people can write fanfics :)

Jules:) I FEEL FOR YA! I was in a very dark place after reading mockingjay........

Michaela I thought the book was an epic fail.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ It wa so sad for those reasons!! I liked it the least of the three, but it was still awesomely amazing.

Jimmy I understand what you mean, the ending was abrupt but I think it needed to be. If the war is over and President Snow and Coin are dead, there is no need to stretch it out. I think Suzanne Collins just wanted to get to the point and just wanted the readers to know that its all over and the games will never take place again. I personally don't care where Gale went. He was a flat and boring character that didn't develop throught the entire series. As for Peeta, I guess he's alright although the part where he goes phsyco and wants to kill Katniss, that really disturbed me. I think both Katnis and Peeta need therapy after what they've been through.

message 31: by Michaela (last edited Mar 01, 2012 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michaela Jimmy wrote: "I understand what you mean, the ending was abrupt but I think it needed to be. If the war is over and President Snow and Coin are dead, there is no need to stretch it out. I think Suzanne Collins j..."

You're right about all of that!

message 32: by Koda (last edited Apr 05, 2012 10:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Koda I'm left stunned and disoriented. I just finished MJ yesterday and can't get my head out of it. I don't get it: why Haymitch, Gale, and her mother close off from her forever? Did Coin deliberately send in Prim knowing she'd be killed by the second explosion? If I could have gotten over all of that, the deaths of Boggs and Finnick... My worse frustration is the lack of intimacy between Peeta and Katniss-that kept us and them-strong and hopeful through the first two novels. I wanted to feel them "growing together" again. It was the biggest let down to the most emotionally fused, high impact stories. "They grew together, had two kids, the end." Almost just as fast.
I believed she had chosen Peeta when she took the risk in front of Gale and kissed him when he wanted to be left behind. The end:I wanted the through-the- night holdings,Peeta's paintings, Katniss sharing with him the lake, the two having the traditional toasting and a real wedding with her mother present. That light and love that keeps us alive. I feel robbed.

Angela the last one did seem rushed

rocksann I had read The Hunger Games when it first came out, loved it, bought it & made my husband & son ( & whoever else I could convince) to read it. Bought Catching Fire as soon as it came out & was not disappointed. Preordered Mockingjay. I was so excited! I was traveling alone to the Philippines, I had the whole flight to read! I can deal with sad but Mockingjay was just plain depressing. I got off that plane feeling kinda numb & very blah.

message 35: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Schultz Roxanne wrote: "I had read The Hunger Games when it first came out, loved it, bought it & made my husband & son ( & whoever else I could convince) to read it. Bought Catching Fire as soon as it came out & was not..."
And that, I think, is an appropriate response to the message of this book. Far too often war is glorified in fiction, and its horrors are glossed over. Suzanne Collins rejected that approach in order to convey that war actually is a depressing and numbing thing.

message 36: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Tim wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "I had read The Hunger Games when it first came out, loved it, bought it & made my husband & son ( & whoever else I could convince) to read it. Bought Catching Fire as soon as it ca..."

YES! i completely agree. I thought the ending was perfect. i think if after writing a story like that and ending it as if everything was perfect and always would be i would've been disappointed in Collins.

message 37: by A.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.D. Koboah I’m quite surprised that people thought that there was no closure with Mocking Jay. I thought she tied up all the loose ends and made her point that when people have been through things like that, they’re never the same after and it takes a long time before they have a sense of normality in their lives. The way Finnick died did upset me because he was my favourite character and it was so gruesome (the things that killed him were so damn creepy). As for Gale, if you think about it, he was one of the characters that suffered the least. He was always the hunter/warrior type and he wasn’t sent into the arena so he wasn’t traumatised as much as the others. He also caused some of the most devastating things that happened in the book (Prim’s death). So in a way, I was kinda happy to see him go off somewhere out of Katniss’s life. Me and my friend had a huge discussion about the fact that Katniss killed Coin instead of President Snow after all that he had done. But I guess that by the end, Snow was the lesser of two evils.

message 38: by rocksann (last edited Apr 06, 2012 09:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

rocksann I just like to feel a range of emotions when I read a book. Yes, war is horrible, I get it. It doesn't change the fact that I didn't really like the book. It just lacked the intensity & excitement of the other books. I want to read books that I enjoy. If it's sad that's fine but I think there should also be a message of hope. I don't always need a happily ever after but even though Katniss & Peeta end up together & have kids, it still seems like such a bleak future. Everyone will have an opinion, most people I know did not really like Mockingjay either but on the flip side, I seem to be in the minority about the Hunger Games movie. Most people seem to love it where I thought it was just okay.

message 39: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Mockingjay messed with my head. At times, I found myself genuinely depressed. Genuinely. Nearly all of the main characters are broken in one way or another. There are no clear good guys. Coin is no different than Snow. Other than having food and protection, District 13 is no different than 12.It becomes clear that any person or goverment can justify just about any atrocity like the hunger games. Even the good guys.

Why does she abandon Gale? I guess I read it differently. Why did Gale abandon Katniss? It was Peeta that stopped Katniss from taking the suicide pill. I've started reading Hunger Games again. Want to go through the trilogy again, taking my time. Even early on in Hunger Games, it's clear to me that Katniss has big issues trusting anyone and her primary focus is survival. Even in Mockingjay both Gale and Peeta conclude that Katniss will choose depending on survival. She is so hardened, that she doesn't even want to owe anyone anything. I think that effected all of her relationships. Sure Gale loved Katniss. Everyone knew they cared for each other, a lot. But when it came time to describe their relationship, it was easy to call him her cousin.

No only do many characters die, they do so quickly with no hint or break to process what just happened. BUT, Katniss does grieve many of her losses after her trial and she's back at district 12. I found that time when she went back the house in victor's village and couldn't do anything to be very touching.

It's heart wrenching to see Katniss go "mental" as Wayne and Garth would say. Not once but several times. It all just becomes too much for her. The inability to trust, that she is constantly being used. She is so damaged in all possible ways by the end of Mockingjay.

Katniss is not a leader, at least not in a military way. I thought she was very uncomfortable as the "Mockingjay". And the way she was constantly used, manipulated, put in uncomfortable situations finally took their toll.

"I'm left stunned and disoriented. I just finished MJ yesterday and can't get my head out of it." That a good description of how I feel after reading Mockingjay.

message 40: by A.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.D. Koboah Greg wrote: "Mockingjay messed with my head. At times, I found myself genuinely depressed. Genuinely. Nearly all of the main characters are broken in one way or another. There are no clear good guys. Coin is no..."

I agree with a lot of what you said. I thought the so-called good guys were worse than the bad guys in the end. It actually reminds me of what is happening in Libya. That’s why I love The Hunger Games, the point she makes is so clear. War does certain things to people and this quote comes to mind. “'Whoever fights monsters should see to it in the process they don’t become one.”

Jessica sharp Thats just how the book is you have to admit its really GOOD! Gale just moved on best friends don't stay friends forever and quite frankly I dont blame him. Katniss has a hard time making up her mind. and if you were a boy who loved her would you seriously want to stay around and watch her raise a family with someone else? And it makes sense that they all died because they were showing self sacrifice for the cause, they HAD to die and they knew it because they wanted Katniss to be the Mockingjay and to keep the rebeillion alive even if it meant their death. But I have to agree with you I mean Finnick JUST married Annie!!! And they had a kid that he never gets to see! But as for Gale I think its better that he's out of the picture because that would be really sad if Katniss has a family with Peeta and keeps having feelings for Gale.

Elora I thought that some parts of Mockinjay were so bad and annoying that I have decided that it does not exsist. There are only 2 books in the Hunger Games series.And I will make up my own, better ending.

message 43: by Greg (last edited Apr 09, 2012 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Re-read Mockingjay. I feel much better about the last third of Mockingjay than I did in my first reading.

Seems the last couple of chapters are the parts of the book that most folks had a lot of problems. Was for me on my first reading. I don't think that her vote for a final hunger games with the children of Capital officials was real. The mental illness verdict was interesting to me. Maybe it was clear to all of "new" panem that Coin was not much different than Snow and that Katniss did everyone a favor.

As with my first reading, there are several poignant sections in the last few chapters. She sets Peeta free, releasing him from his bracelets and hugs him. The hugs will never be the same. Her return to district 12. Greasy Sae taking care of her.

The last few chapters and epilogue were great. Again, I didn't feel this way on my first reading. Collins really does wrap up the Gale-vs-Peeta and Katniss "Peeta and I grow closer". Gale pretty much knows it over when Katniss asks him if it was his bomb that killed Prim. "That was the one thing I had going for me. Taking care of your family." It's over for Gale. The special kiss with Peeta happens. "It would have happened anyway". Classic Katniss.

There are such a wide range of reviews of Mockingjay. Love or hate it. Not many in-between. Interesting ot me that I have a much different opinion after re-reading. This speaks to the genius of these books. Hats off to Collins.

For me, Catching Fire is the 3rd, then Mockingjay and Hunger Games the best of the three. I think I may finally be ready to move on from these books

maddie Dannielle wrote: "So GLAD to know people feel the same. I'm still in shock. I need to buy some new books to get my mind off of this."

thats the same wy i finally got my mind off the series!!! i begn actlly reading the Maze Runner series, and helped me get the hunger games off of my mind for a while. The HungerGames got me into my book frenzy!!

Jessica Koda wrote: "I'm left stunned and disoriented. I just finished MJ yesterday and can't get my head out of it. I don't get it: why Haymitch, Gale, and her mother close off from her forever? Did Coin deliberately ..."

You described very much how it made me feel!! ;{

teresawantscoffee here, i started crying and laughing at the same time when i first finished the book... I had to read the book again to find the double senses and exactly what happened to who... I'm still in need of therapy and it's been 2 months...

Sally I wanted like an epilogue from Gales point of view :/ did he know about Katniss and Peeta? them having children? was he okay with it? did he find someone else? what job did he have? why didnt he go back to district 12? i was so annoyed :/

Breanna You needed therapy? Thats just SAD.

Leila It's so rare these days to find a book written in the 1st person. In my mind, this is the biggest similarity with Twilight. In many ways 1st-person is great because you live through the main character. In other ways, it is very limiting. It's a very difficult style for authors and is typically selected when the focus is really meant to be only on the main character.

To give us Gale's story, Collins would have to break out of the narrative of Katniss and this would have been clumsy. I suppose she could have done an epilog from Gale's perspective but it's a stretch and I don't' think it would have offered the "closer" so many are asking for.

Perhaps she will do another book that recaps the same events but from Gale or Peeta's perspective.

EvaCatReads ye...

« previous 1 3 4