Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Spring 2012 20.9 - Elizabeth (Alaska)'s task - It's epidemic

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (last edited Mar 03, 2012 05:13AM) (new)

Liz M 20.9 - Elizabeth (Alaska)'s task - It's epidemic
In 1925, mushers and their dog teams rushed diptheria serum to epidemic threatened Nome. Every March, the Iditarod Dog Sled Race is held to commemorate this historic event. Read a book in which a main plot point is an epidemic.

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1369 comments Can the book be non-fiction? "plot point" makes me think fiction.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Yes, non-fiction is fine. The epidemic needs to be the focus, and that, perhaps, is a better word.

message 5: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2857 comments The Secret Garden is on all three of those lists. It's a very long time since I read it and I don't remember how important the epidemic is in the plot. I would like to read it again. Would it count for this task?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments I haven't read this. It appears the cholera is early in the book and then no longer. I'd rather you chose another book. However, I see that it has made into a movie several times, so you could use it for that task.

message 7: by Connie (new)

message 8: by Connie (last edited Feb 27, 2012 02:01PM) (new)

Connie | 214 comments In seriousness, would Angels in America, Part 1: Millennium Approaches qualify / be eligible for Combo Points, since it deals a lot with the outbreak of HIV?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Yes, Connie. Looks like that qualifies for combo points in at least a couple of places!

message 10: by Amy W (new)

Amy W | 32 comments In actual seriousness, could I read a book about a zombie epidemic? I'm thinking about World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. It sounds like it attributes the zombies to a virus, then it becomes an epidemic....

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments In all seriousness, that book is #2 on the Apocolypse by Epidemic list. Absolutely qualifies. ;-) (And I hope you'll post a review!)

message 12: by Amy W (new)

Amy W | 32 comments Thanks!

message 13: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Robinson (kellifrobinson) How about a pandemic instead of an epidemic? I'd like to read this book: The Jakarta Pandemic. Let me know if I need to focus on a more regional epidemic or if I can instead read about a global pandemic.

I've also got World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War if this one doesn't fit.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Yes, Kelli, that is fine.

message 15: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Robinson (kellifrobinson) Thanks!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments I was wondering if I could use "Going Bovine" for this task. The main character has mad cow disease. Would you consider that an epidemic since it was really big a couple of years ago?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments No, that doesn't fit this task.

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn How are we defining "epidemic"? i.e.: does it have to be a strictly infectious disease? I am reading The Emperor of All Maladies which is about the evolution of cancer, and was wondering if it would qualify for this challenge. Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments To me, epidemic directly relates to contagion, which is what I'd expected with this task. What I know about cancer, this wouldn't qualify.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.