The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > do you still read children's book?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by onmerryday (new)

onmerryday I'm asking this because right now I'm really into children's book genre. Maybe, it's because I'm working on doing illustration for a book currently. The book is not really for kids but the author wants something cute and cheerful for her book so I tend to find inspiration in Children's books.

I found that I especially like black and white line drawing such as in Winnie the Pooh or in Mary Poppins which I'm reading.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here still read children's book? I mean not reading for your kids but just for your own pleasure.

And I'd like to know if anyone can share books with great line art illustration with me?

Thanks!

message 2: by Petra X is emotionally in a 14.5 year old state (last edited Dec 06, 2008 06:56AM) (new)

Petra X is emotionally in a 14.5 year old state (petra-x) Yes, I'm reading Pete the Sheep Sheep right now. Yesterday I read Edwardo, the Horriblest Boy in the World. I read loads of children's books, the big illustrated ones. I buy them too. I have a bookshop and so I can indulge myself this way.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) oh I read them to my kids but love them nonetheless. I would read them regardless. I think I like shopping for children's books more than for myself.

there are so many great ones out now. Zen Shorts is cute. but I don't think that is line art.

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 218 comments I do once in a while. In fact, I just read two = Wempires by Daniel Pinkwater and the Great Serum Race by Debbie S Miller. They can be read quick and can be quite comforting. Esp if they are old favorites and evoke memories

Petra X is emotionally in a 14.5 year old state (petra-x) I read Bad Baby http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/69... today. The graphics are very different and absolutey astounding.

message 6: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Yeah, I still do sometimes. Depends a lot on the mood.

message 7: by onmerryday (last edited Dec 07, 2008 01:05AM) (new)

onmerryday Although prefered line drawings in books. I can't help falling for those with cute colorful illustrations too. Today I went to my favorite bookshop and came out with a pile of beautiful children's books, all in colors! Oh except The Adventures of Milly-Molly-Mandy, this one has illustrations I'm looking for.

Petra, I'm so jealous of you being in bookshop all day long. It must have been some kind of paradise for me!

I searched for books that you are talking, they all look interesting (you can tell
how crazy I'm right now) Zen Shorts looks so cute, wish I could see the excerpt more.

Thanks you guys for replying!

message 8: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments when i used to be an au pair for two different families with children of different ages, I sometimes could really enjoy some of their books. A probably almsot baby book was with a red fish that could fly (maybe Hayes can help me out as it was in Italian) and a dog. But also others for older children I sometimes really liked.

Petra X is emotionally in a 14.5 year old state (petra-x) Pilarcat, living in the Caribbean with my own bookshop is living kind of a dream. But of all the businesses I've been in, bookshops is the worst for money. There is very little profit on a book (40% discount off the cover price is all an independent bookshop gets for wholesale) and everyone wants used books or to get them for free from the library. There isn't anything else people can get that can give them so much enjoyment for so many hours that they can pay so little (or nothing for). Keeps the authors and bookshops poor - publishers and distributors take the lion's share.

message 10: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (klonk) I absolutely read children's books. I'm in school, studying to become a preschool and primary school teacher, and a lot has to do with children's books right now. So I'm rediscovering my old books that I loved as a child, and also finding a lot of new books for children, both chapter-books and picture-books, that I like. I'll probably always love that kind of literature.

message 11: by Allison (last edited Dec 07, 2008 08:00AM) (new)

Allison i have always loved children's books.
i graduate soon, and am in the process of creating my classroom library, so i find that when i go to the book store, i come home with more children's books than books for me.

i have a whole bookshelf of classroom books, ones that i have rated i own, ones that i have not are on my wishlist.

one of my favorite line art books, is literally line art. the series follow the line is really neat.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 56 comments Absolutely! I took several children's lit courses in graduate school even. I've always had a soft spot for children's and YA literature.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Children's books. I still have once child who is small enough to read too. I will buy them for myself if it's a great book.

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 55 comments I read to my children all of the time, but I do get great pleasure out of reading many of the books I read to them - many of the books are a first-time read for me, as I never read them in my childhood. One such example is Eloise, which really cracked me up when I read it to my daughter for the first time. I also often go to the bookstore and find myself in the childrens section looking for stuff for my kids, but reading it kinda of for myself that first time. Recently I was doing this and stumbled upon the wonderful Flotsam by David Wiesner. Those who have "read" Tuesday by the same author/illustrator will know his style - story told in wonderful, detailed illustrations without words.

message 15: by onmerryday (new)

onmerryday I know what you mean, Petra. I don't own bookshop but my sister and I do making books. My sister writes stories and I do the design. We are just like an independent publisher and have to depend on the distributor. They deduct 40% from our cover price and that 's almost all of we should actually gain!.

Running bookshops here in Bangkok is not very good too. I think it has something to do with paper tax and stuff, economic things I don't quite get. But the main reason must be that people here are not really into reading books. Although there are more books published each year, we still have a very small variety in subjects. If you got into a bookshop , you would see a whole shelf of teenage romance or celebrities' books. I don't mean they are all bad, some are really good and we also have some great literature, in small amount though. I just wish we have wider range of subjects to choose from.

message 16: by onmerryday (new)

onmerryday Vanessa,

I love Eloise too. It's cute and hilarious. I got 3 of the series and lost one (the Moscow one) so sad!

Update for my latest purchase, I just got a whole set of Beatrice Potter's Peter rabbit in good price. Love her illustrations!

message 17: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Pilarcat, not long ago I saw the Beatrice Potter movie adn it was so good. I immediately went to put her stories on my TBR list!!!

message 18: by onmerryday (new)

onmerryday Jeane,

Oh! I got to tell you I was not interested in Peter Rabbit until I saw the movie!
I love the scenes in which Peter Rabbit came to life. It presents the love and care Beatrice Potter put in her works so well that I want to experience the feeling of that too.

I'm going to read it before going to bed tonight :-)

message 19: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Pilarcat, I even thought the movie was going to be stupid but what a suprise. The movie also gave me interest in what she wrote!!!

message 20: by onmerryday (new)

onmerryday Jeane, my friend once had a chance to visit Beatrice Potter's home in England. She said it was fantastic! I wish I could go there someday.

Hmm. I think I'm just beginning to be her fan :-)

Got a link for you if you are interested. Very nice site with lots of stuff to see.

http://www.peterrabbit.com/index.asp

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Where is the house pilarcat? when I was living in London I visited the Sherlock Holmes house. It wasn't that interesting but just having been there felt great!!!!!

I find it such a pitty I could never visit Devon, the area of Agatha Christie. If that would have happened, I think i would have thought I was dreaming...

message 22: by onmerryday (new)

onmerryday Jeane,

I'm not sure where exactly the place is. I remember my friend mentioned Lancaster and near Lake District or something like that.

It seems that England has a lot of author places. I wish I could one day visit England and do a tour of British autors' places like Shakespeare, Potter, Holmes is there Dickens place overthere? Oh what dream I'm having now :-)

message 23: by d4 (new)

d4 I've been reading some of the classic fairy tales lately. The contrast between the originals and the sugared Disney versions interests me quite a bit.

message 24: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 63 comments Most of the children's books I read are geared for young kids (mine are 3 and 5). Although they LOVE Dr. Seuss books, and those are always fun to read. Some of their favorites are Fox in Socks and Green Eggs and Ham. They're so much fun to read out loud (especially Fox in Socks)!

Petra X is emotionally in a 14.5 year old state (petra-x) Pilarcat - I may come to Bangkok this coming summer. I go to Bali every few years and the last time I went via Bangkok so depending on the airline rates I might come that way again. I would love to go to Chiang Mai so I hope the rates are good for Thailand.

If you write your books in English have you tried to get them published in the US/UK/Australia?

Petra X is emotionally in a 14.5 year old state (petra-x) Fiona - I love the Moomintroll books by Tove Jansson. I read them all - as an adult!

message 27: by onmerryday (new)

onmerryday I have Moomin on my shelf too! Bought them mainly because of its illustrations.
I always have something with beautiful illustration as I said in the topic. I have never read it though. Maybe I'll read it soon as I'm in the mood of kid thing right now :-)

Petra, glad you are thinking about coming to Thailand. I hope you get a good price for air ticket. There's a lot of beautiful cultural places in Chiang Mai, cute cafes and nice resorts and beautiful nature. Actually, people just go there right now because the weather is nice around this time of year. I myself want to go there but I have to work :-(

Btw, I don't write any book although I plan to do someday. The one who does is my sister. She writes in Thai and it's not fiction. It's about living in Tokyo where she used to study. A lot of people interested in studying or traveling Japan so the books are quite good in the market.

message 28: by Bevin (new)

Bevin (graygrrrl) I'm really into YA books right now, especially parts of a series. They are easy to read quickly and the authors tend to publish more often so I can read a bunch at one time

message 29: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I read lots of childrens books. I usually try to read along with whatever my kids are assigned in school, but we also try to read out loud together and they tend to be children's book. More along the lines of Roald Dahl than Milne, but I DO love Pooh! I have also been reading quite a bit of YA recently due to my goddaughter. I'm not a big reading censor, but my friend is, doesn't like to read, so asks me to take a look.

message 30: by Melody (new)

Melody | 564 comments One of my sons is 13 and he will often read a book then say to me "Mum you should read this, it's really good." So I do. I thoroughly enjoy children's books, especially something my 10 year old daughter might suggest as well.

message 31: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 2907 comments I read a lot of of kid's books - especially those at a 5th and 6th grade level. I run a RIF (Reading is Fundamental) program at our elementary school, so I tell everyone that I read the kid's books so I can make good RIF choices. Actually, I run RIF so that I have an excuse to read the kid's books!

... and if anyone has suggestions for books at these levels, I'm always interested. This program is a great way to entice kids to read.

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Yes! I especially like to go back and reread books I read as a child and see how my perspective has changed. I reread some of the Little House books and Anne of Green Gables a while back and really enjoyed them.

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have never gone back and re-read a loved childhood book and been disapointed. I think what we really love to read never changes. Maybe sophistication, but preference..never!

message 34: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) I read the same books that my kindergardener and 3rd grader are reading. I also try to read popular books that the children from my church are reading so I can discuss them with the children. Twice a year I lead book discussions at the public library for children. I really enjoy reading children's books. I am planning to pick-up and read "Hoot" here in a week or so.

message 35: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) Melissa wrote: "I reread some of the Little House books a while back..."

I LOVE these books! I try and read them ever four or five years.

message 36: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I used to go back and reread The Phantom Tollboothevery year, but since college, I haven't been able to do that, but oh, I love that book. Once my boyfriend and I were talking about books we read growing up and which were our favorites, and this book was a common thread. When he said he used to love it, that was something which endeared him too me. Oh and his love of Redwall, as that is another all time favorite children's series of mine.

message 37: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I definitely still read kids books. And as my boys have gotten older, I read whatever books they are reading for school with them. We can talk about them and I've finally read some books that I missed when I was younger. This also helps encourage them to keep on with some books that they don't like. When part of them wants to give up, I promise them that we can complain together, if necessary, but we'll suffer together. They totally like this and they complete everything.....and in the process realize that they in fact like some books they didn't expect to at first.

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 41 comments But of course I read children's books....

Favorites this year:
Picture books - The Tinderbox very Grimm's Fairy tale like and the illustrations are fun, scary and very grimm like....not dumbed down for the kiddies.
Intermediate - The Bears Famous Invasion of Sicely
YA - The Book of the Dun Cow *****stars

message 39: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Oh my gosh, YES! I have been reading Young Adult novels ever since I WAS a young adult, and I have recently rekindled my passion for children's books (especially picture books). Here are my favorites from 2008:

Favorite Overall Children’s Books:
Sophie and Rose by Kathryn Laskey;;
Zen Ties by John J Muth;
Scarecrow by Cynthia Rylant;
Dahlia by Barbara McClintock;
Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen;

Favorite Seasonal Children’s Books:
The Trees of Dancing Goats by Patrical Polacco;
The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rummer Godden;
A Gnome’s Christmas by Poortvliet;
Great Joy by Kate Di Camillo

Favorite Children’s Story (but not illustrations) The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell

Favorite Illustrations (but not story)
Sharing Christmas illustrations by Eve Tharlet;
cat books illustrated by Anne Mortimer;
all of Jan Brett’s hedgehogs!;
Lucia and the Light illustrations by Mary GrandPre;
Children of the Forest illustrated by Elsa Beskow;
Adele and Simon illustrated by Barbara McClintock;
Grumpy Cat by Britta Teckentrup

In terms of YA novels, my most recent favorites are

Larklight A Rousing Tale of Dauntless Pluck in the Farthest Reaches of Space

The Penderwicks A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

and

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

message 40: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments Of course! All my old favorite from childhood aloud to my kid and also all new children books that she read and recommended me to read

message 41: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments I came back to reading YA novels when I became obsessed with the Artemus Fowl series. I tried to hide by obsession :) - but just couldn't!

message 42: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) I try to read a children's chapter book about every other month.

message 43: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Definitely ... Newbery winners (and runners up) and YA! ;o)