Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Why Me? - Monday Puzzler 2/27/12

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
"I think," he said slowly, "that you should marry a man who would appreciate you."

She made a face. "Those are in short supply."

He smiled. "You don't need a supply. You just need one." He grasped Heroine's shoulder, his hand curving over the illusion-trimmed sleeve of her gown until she felt its warmth through the fragile gauze. His thumb toyed with the filmy edge of fabric, brushing her skin in a way that made her stomach tighten. "Heroine," he said gently, "what if I asked for permission to court you?"

She went blank as astonishment swept through her.

Finally, someone had asked to court her.

And it wasn't Michael, or any of the diffident, superior aristocrats she had met during three failed seasons. It was Hero, an elusive and enigmatic man she had known only a matter of days.

"Why me?" was all she could manage.

"Because you're interesting and beautiful. Because saying your name makes me smile. Most of all because this may be my only hope of ever having hotchpotch."

"I'm sorry, but...no. It wouldn't be a good idea at all."

Heroine's mind was spinning. She could hardly stammer out a reply. "I-I don't like courtship. It's very stressful. And disappointing."

His thumb found the soft ridge of her collarbone and traced it slowly. "It's arguable that you've ever had a real courtship. But if it pleases you, we'll dispense with it altogether. That would save time."

"I don't want to dispense with it," Heroine said, increasingly flustered. She trembled as she felt his fingertips glide along the side of her neck. "What I mean is...Mr. Hero, I've just been through a very difficult experience. This is too soon."

"You were courted by a boy, who had to do as he was told." His hot breath feathered against her lips as he whispered, "You should try it with a man, who needs no one's permission."

A man. Well, he certainly was that.

[...]

Heroine gave a shaky laugh. "I think you could talk a fish out of its skin," she told him. "But still, I don't-" She stopped with a gasp as he ducked his head and stole an off-center kiss from her lips, as if her laughter were something he could taste. She felt the imprint of his mouth even after he drew back, her excited nerves reluctant to release the sensation.

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
Ooh. SOunds good and I have no idea who wrote it. Although the style is familiar....

Shh I'm reading! (thequietone) | 92 comments One of my favorite authors and a great book!

message 4: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2051 comments Mod
I'm with Debbie. Kasey fantastic pick! I can't wait to see what it is.

message 5: by Irisheyes (last edited Feb 27, 2012 06:29PM) (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments This sounds sooooo familiar to me. I bet I've read it but as usual I just can't remember :)

It's the "You were courted by a boy, who had to do as he was told." line that is ringing a bell. And like DLS said the writing is very, very familiar to me. I can't wait to find out what it is. I bet it'll end up being one of my favorite authors.

message 6: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Great book, great series, great author! Reading this makes me long to reread the whole series. Wonderful choice--especially since she has a new release tomorrow, which I also love.

message 7: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1885 comments Mod
Hmmmm. Very curious now. It sounds familiar but I'm darned if I can remember what it is.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 991 comments I have no clue. I'm imagining Heroine wearing a dress the color of a goldfish, since she said "...talk a fish out of its skin". I'd love to find out what book this is from.

Shh I'm reading! (thequietone) | 92 comments Janga wrote: "Great book, great series, great author! Reading this makes me long to reread the whole series. Wonderful choice--especially since she has a new release tomorrow, which I also love."

If only there was a like button...

message 10: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
The answer is Tempt Me at Twilight by Lisa Kleypas.

message 11: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
Oh I should have known!

message 12: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2051 comments Mod
LOL! I do know this one :)

message 13: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I thought a lot of you had probably read this one.

message 14: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 892 comments Yep! I knew I knew it! LOL Love, love, love LK!