2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > Mar 2012 - End of book Discussion *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Johanna (last edited Mar 03, 2012 06:16AM) (new)

Johanna | 766 comments Here we go, if someone has already finished the book, here´s some questions for you!

Let´s start with the obvious one:

1. What do you think your daemon would look like? What animal form would you rather have as a daemon? Why these?

message 2: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments 2. Is Lord Asriel a hero or a villain?

3. Why are dæmons usually the opposite gender of their human counterparts?

4. Lyra meets a lot of people on her journey to North, which of them would you pick to travel the world with and why?

message 3: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments 1. I think my daemon would be a house cat because we are similar in temperment and personality and I would be okay with having that as a daemon, I don't think I'd choose another.

2. I am not so sure Asriel is either so much as maybe misguided or taken up too much in his own beliefs so that it obscures all else. I will reserve judgement on his being hero or villain until I've read the other books ;)

3. I suppose because they are supposed to represent the other half of you and it's like a ying yang thing, female and male.

4. I would have to say that I would pick Iorek. I mean really, who wouldn't want to travel the world with an armored polar bear, come on! He's loyal, he's strong and he seems pretty well equipped to handle most things. Besides which I think he could be an entertaining companion once you got beyond his taciturn exterior.

message 4: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments What do you think Lyra´s daemon will settle in?

message 5: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments 1. I would like to have a daemon that was a snow leopard or something similar to that, because that would just be cool and it would make me feel quite safe. But I think mine would be closer to something a little smaller and not that exotic. Maybe a lazy cat or a small bird that could hang around and sing on my shoulder.

2. I do not like Lord Ashriel, but I don´t know how to answer this question. He did save Lyra when she was a baby, but he also wanted to harm Roger, her friend and an innocent child. Also he is not the most warmest person to be around with.

3. Like you said Tatum.

4. I would have to say Iorek as well. When I wrote these questions I had no idea how I´d answer it, but now that I´ve read the book again I don´t even have to wonder about the answer. He´s just amazing.

message 6: by Johanna (last edited Mar 22, 2012 03:26AM) (new)

Johanna | 766 comments So Sharon, I mean, what was it for you that you didn´t quite like the book? Was it the fantasy or something else?

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) 1. I want a dragon. A giant orange dragon. Or a chameleon. I'm a lizard person, haha. xP

2. Villain. I don't like him. He seems totally selfish and just a generally bad guy.

3. Tatum wrote: "I suppose because they are supposed to represent the other half of you and it's like a ying yang thing, female and male."
Same.

4. Iorek! Or Farder Coram. He seemed pretty cool.

message 8: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments Oooh dragon, that´s the perfect answer that I didn´t even think about! I love dragons :)

message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Johanna wrote: "Oooh dragon, that´s the perfect answer that I didn´t even think about! I love dragons :)"

lol. Me too. I have a little orange dragon stuffed animal (I won him at the Calgary Stampede!) and if he came to life and could be with me all the time that would be AWESOME!

message 10: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I have a wooden one that I bought from Oxford (UK) when I visited my cousin years ago. And some other ones as well :)

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Cool!