The Sword and Laser discussion

1671 views
What Else Are You Reading? > Why No Audiobook?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by itrooper (last edited Feb 26, 2012 03:01PM) (new)

itrooper | 20 comments I am putting this here. I sure would love to read the series but there appears to be no audiobooks available. Huh? The series looks like it could be fantastic. I would hate to have to use my eyeballs to -blek- "read."

For those that don't know about this series it's called "Malazan Book of the Fallen" and they are by Steven Erikson. There has been plenty of time to do an audiobook for at least the first one. It came out in 1999.

I guess I will keep waiting....


message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 6 comments I'd love to listen to
Janet Kagan's Hellspark
all of P. C. Hodgell starting with God Stalk
and Ysabeau Wilce's Flora series. The first book, Flora's Segunda is on Audible and is very very good, but the rest aren't on Audible.


message 3: by itrooper (new)

itrooper | 20 comments I emailed Steven Erikson as to the lack of audiobooks for his series and this is the response I received.


"Dear Joe

Not yet, but one is coming...

Cheers
SE"

Wooo Hoo! I can't believe he actually responded to me! That made my day.


message 4: by Jonathan Cate (new)

Jonathan Cate | 57 comments There are copies of the first eight of the Malazan books that already exist that I can find. They must just not be official. Maybe Library of Congress recordings?


message 5: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments itrooper wrote: "I am putting this here. I sure would love to read the series but there appears to be no audiobooks available. Huh? The series looks like it could be fantastic. I would hate to have to use my e..."

The last line made me laugh. Malazan Book of the Fallen is very good, one of my favorite series. It is quite complex and challenging.
Even though I have read the books, I would be very interested in listening to them, too.


message 6: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I will have to read the series. Sounds like my kind of series.


message 7: by Jonathan Cate (new)

Jonathan Cate | 57 comments I'm reading through the series now and loving it. I've read the first five and will be starting the sixth soon. House of Chains has been my fav so far.


message 8: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments I'm always glad to see Malazan fever taking hold. I love this series and have been looking for the audio version. Seriously, to have Tehol and Bugg banter acted out would be great!
I keep putting on my list for a re-read, but I keep getting sidetracked by this bookclub. So, another reason I'd love the audiobooks.


message 9: by itrooper (new)

itrooper | 20 comments Since I can check this series off my list of "No Audiobooks Available" as it is coming soon. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for other titles that are in print but not available in Audio?

I racked my albeit limited brain and couldn't come up with much of anything. I immediately thought of some Stephen King but virtually everything is out in audio. Sleeper King pick for you "The Eyes of the Dragon" narrated by none other than Balky (Bronson Pinchot). It's a pretty decent "sword" book and ties in nicely with the Dark Tower series. It also has a brief but rather enthusiastic moment of bogey picking that you will not find in any other (I hope) fantasy novels.


message 10: by Jonathan Cate (new)

Jonathan Cate | 57 comments R. Scot Bakker's series The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect Emperor are not in audio format and I really wish they were.


message 11: by Greg (last edited Aug 01, 2012 03:02PM) (new)


message 12: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments Holy Kruppe!! Yay!!


message 13: by Jonas (new)

Jonas | 2 comments Jonathan wrote: "R. Scot Bakker's series The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect Emperor are not in audio format and I really wish they were."

The Darkness That Comes Before: The Prince of Nothing, Book One | [R. Scott Bakker]

UNABRIDGED
by R. Scott Bakker
Narrated by David DeVries
Series: The Prince of Nothing, Book 1



http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=pd_rhf_...


message 14: by Jonas (new)

Jonas | 2 comments Greg wrote: "Look! At last:
http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-Ma...
and here:
http://www.brillianceaudio.com/search......"


Thanks for Erikson audible update, Greg.


message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Nice to see these books starting to appear as audiobooks. I really didn't like Gardens of the Moon when read it a few years ago but keep having this nagging thing in my head that i should give it another try so the audiobook might be a easy for me to experience the story in a different way and see once and for all whether i like it or not.


message 16: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 2 comments I was able to get my hands on the first 8. 1-3 were good, but 4-8 read by John Haag ( i had to really dig to get the name of the guy ) were unbelievable. I emailed him in February and he responded that he had just finished 9 and 10, but it would likely be some time before we see them. They were recorded for the library of congress, but he is an amazing orator.


message 17: by Bedubiayahoo.com (new)

Bedubiayahoo.com | 1 comments Does any one know or have access to the Library of the Congress editions?!? I have the first 3 and am dying to listen to the rest of the series?


message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter | 1 comments Brandon wrote: "I was able to get my hands on the first 8. 1-3 were good, but 4-8 read by John Haag ( i had to really dig to get the name of the guy ) were unbelievable. I emailed him in February and he responded ..."

How did you get the first 8? I'm struggling to find these anywhere...


message 19: by Marc (new)

Marc | 17 comments I pity the poor reader who has to pronounce some of the names in it tho....
There are some proper high fantasy ones with hardly any vowels and lots of apostrophes!


message 20: by Marc (new)

Marc | 17 comments Paul wrote: "Nice to see these books starting to appear as audiobooks. I really didn't like Gardens of the Moon when read it a few years ago but keep having this nagging thing in my head that i should give it a..."

Definitely worth getting beyond Gardens of the Moon - you are still being introduced to his incrdibly strange world, and it suffers a bit from that - but Deadhouse gates is a superb book IMHO


message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments The unabridged audio book of Gardens of the Moon is free on Youtube.


Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments Kevin wrote: "The unabridged audio book of Gardens of the Moon is free on Youtube."

It probably shouldn't be. I wouldn't count on it staying up. the Brilliance version is hefty though and will keep the Malazen fans busy!


message 23: by Phil (new)

Phil Coady (stucody) | 2 comments Good news. The audible book of Gardens of the Moon is from today now a available on Audible.co.uk.


message 24: by Phil (new)

Phil Coady (stucody) | 2 comments The second book is now available on audible.com


message 25: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 2 comments You would be surprised at how well John Haag reads these books. He is able to not only pronounce the names flawlessly, but able to give individuality to the characters the previous reader (1 -3) was unable to do. I have 1 - 8 and am happy to share.


message 26: by Mark (new)

Mark (mndrew) | 31 comments Was very annoyed I couldn't find "Little Brother" on Audible. It seems C.D. sells his own audio books from his own website so that he can ensure they are all DRM free. I can deal with that; even though it violates my one format, one interface rule/preferance.


message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura itrooper wrote: "I emailed Steven Erikson as to the lack of audiobooks for his series and this is the response I received.


"Dear Joe

Not yet, but one is coming...

Cheers
SE"

Wooo Hoo! I can't believe he actua..."


Very cool!


message 28: by Christy (last edited Oct 27, 2013 03:41AM) (new)

Christy (cricqket) I've read so much good stuff about this series, and I'm really looking forward to reading it. I'm a huge bookworm, and I've taken a clerical position in part because I'm allowed to listen to whatever while I work. For the most part, if it's not available on audio, I'm not going to read it. (Most exceptions are books, short stories, etc., that are part of a series mostly--but not completely--available on audio. Notably [currently] the "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.")

That being said, I almost started listening to this series thinking it was only a trilogy because that's seemingly how it's presented on Audible. (When you click on the series link, it generally shows all the books in the series, including those not available on Audible, for whatever reason. For this series, it currently just shows the first 3 books, and they're all available, hence the impression that it's just a trilogy.) Since I listen to so many books though, I usually research them on GoodReads and Wikipedia (if applicable) to make sure they're all available on Audible, if they're a good series, etc.

I've found that, more often, popular books that aren't available on audio are due to older copyrights and/or signing agreements for the audio rights before audiobooks became widely popular (via the web & then especially smartphones & apps). Most authors & publishing houses now put great stock in books' audio potential because of the popularity technical advances have created. It's not the equivalent of movie/television copyrights because the risk isn't as volatile, but audio book rights are no longer just tossed in haphazardly. This is a double-edged sword for readers and authors alike. It means we routinely get good (narrators are SO VERY FUCKING IMPORTANT) audiobook releases the same day as the "print" releases but also are prohibited from the audio versions of some of our favorites from old book-signing deals.

What I would like to do is strangle Audible (and a number of publishers) for their sloppiness and ineptitude. Most of us just want answers. For instance: will there be audiobooks for such and such? When? If you can't tell us if and/or when, then why? (Yes, there will be audiobooks for the Malazan series. When, over a period of 5 years. Why? Because signing agreements for the audio rights were for 20 years in the future and then at intervals of 3 months apiece. Or because we could do them all 2 years ago but are determined to piss you all off and are releasing them 3 months apart apiece to keep you salivating. No, there won't be audiobooks because we're asshats.)

Yes, there are some readers that just want here, now, regardless of copyright, authors' rights, etc. That's not most of us. Thanks to the multiple people who found the answers about release dates on Brilliance Audio's website. I hate it, but I'll wait the 1.5+ years to listen to the series. I respect a good series enough to give it its due, and, for me, that's listening to it all in succession.


message 29: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6755 comments Mod
I highly recommend against the audio version. This series is too complex to listen to IMHO.

You really need to read carefully and I often have to reread passages, which would be a lot more difficult if you're multitasking.


message 30: by Christy (new)

Christy (cricqket) So, we shouldn't listen to the book because it's too complex for you?

Nevermind that many of us are much more inclined auditorily than visually?

And the blind?

Forget it. I'll say many things I'd otherwise regret out of sheer indignation. Tell us not to read it via audiobook because the narrator sucks or some other discerning reason I can't come up with right now. If it's a complex book, it's not going to become less so because we're listening to someone else read the written words to us. That's what the rewind button's for. Any reader worth his salt knows that multi-tasking means there's the potential for missing parts. That's what the pause button's for. Or lunch break. Or holding still while your tongue dries out above the envelope you're supposed to be sealing but can't because the story has you locked in place looking like a buffoon.

Never tell me not to read something because you didn't get it without work.

/exits soapbox


message 31: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6755 comments Mod
It's just an opinion. A recomendation. I wasn't telling anyone anything.

I don't know why it angered you so much. You're welcome to disagree with me, but I don't understand why you have to take me to task simply because you think differently.


message 32: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments I agree with Rob's recommendation (and that's all it was - not a criticism of audiobooks - Rob listens to a lot of stuff on Audible) - Everybody barring nobody who has read this series a second time through comments on how much they missed the first time round. It's not a matter of difficult prose - its that the world and plot is so dense that there may be times you want to go back to reread a detail two or three chapters back - or even in a previous book - It's half the fun, on a reread at least.

Again this is a recommendation only - nobody is telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do.


message 33: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 829 comments Might be useful to have both audio and text, then, for those who want to listen as their primary mode.


message 34: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Serendi wrote: "Might be useful to have both audio and text, then, for those who want to listen as their primary mode."

Indeed. I do that quite a lot, especially with books that I get "confused" by when I start them in audio, and especially if I can get them for cheap on Kindle since I already have the audio.


message 35: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) I agree with Rob and David. I wouldn't have understood ANY of Malazan if I had done audible. But I am a visual learner and didn't stand a chance without eyes on. I do think it could matter what your learning style is. That would be interesting to know more about!


message 36: by Dave (last edited Nov 12, 2013 11:28AM) (new)

Dave | 2 comments The first three Malazan Books were narrated very well by Ralph Lister. Too bad they couldn't get him back. Michael Page seems to be slotted in to finish the other 7 books - I think House of Chains is coming out Dec 2013. I have mixed feelings about Mr. Page's narration. I liked him well enough in Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards books, but not so much in Joe Abercrombie's - for which Stephen Pacey was absolutely exceptional.

But I'm willing to give Mr. Page another chance, of course. The one thing that is already stacked against him - just like with Abercombie's books, is that he's coming in after another excellent narrator. This requires the listener to re-adapt to processing the Malazan world from a different narration style which can be off putting. This isn't limited to Mr. Page by any means. Fans of the audiobook versions were put off by Book 13 of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and book 4 of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire for the same reason.

Edit: I just found out that Joe Abercrombie is sympathetic to the pains of having serial books read by different narrators and has done his part to get Stephen Pacey to reread the 2 books narrated by Page.

Oh well. I suppose we can just hope for the best insofar as the continuation of the Malazan books.


message 37: by Brad (new)

Brad Powell | 2 comments The Malazan Book of the Fallen is an awesome series. I have been a huge fan of fantasy for many years and am just not listening to it on audio books. Really enjoying Ralph Lister's narration as I am only close to finishing book 2. I hope Michael Page does as well. The following link is where I found the audio books if anyone is interested.
http://theaudiobookbay.com/?s=The+Mal...


message 38: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments For those not aware, Brad's link is to a pay for torrent site. This is something that's always baffled me, why would one be unwilling to buy something, but be willing to pay for the privilege of pirating it?
Not trying to pass any judgment, even though I have gone legit in the last few years, more or less, my hands are hardly clean of that particular stain. I really am honestly curious.


message 39: by Jonathan Cate (new)

Jonathan Cate | 57 comments Audible has the first five books in the series now and are adding ove every couple months. The are very reasonably priced as well/ I just bought Midnight Tides (31+ hours) for $10. I love this series.


message 40: by Dave (new)

Dave | 2 comments Well this is a bad omen. I've been patiently collecting the last few Malazan audio books produced by Brilliance Audio. Just recently, they've removed the last two books from their website. Does this mean that Toll the Hounds is the last one?

Also, this is where I've bought most of them. I'm assuming Ambling Books is legit? Seems to be available from both North America and UK anyway..

http://amblingbooks.com/books/search/...


message 41: by Sky (last edited Jan 09, 2015 06:36PM) (new)

Sky | 665 comments Christopher wrote: "For those not aware, Brad's link is to a pay for torrent site. This is something that's always baffled me, why would one be unwilling to buy something, but be willing to pay for the privilege of pi..."

Actually, it is a free torrent site, but I suppose that is not your point :)

https://twitter.com/kimdotcom/status/...


message 42: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Tero wrote: "Christopher wrote: "For those not aware, Brad's link is to a pay for torrent site. This is something that's always baffled me, why would one be unwilling to buy something, but be willing to pay for..."

If you buy the CDs and rip them there are lots of audiobook apps for Android (and probably Apple) that'll essentially function the same as audible.


message 43: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Again, my issue was never why someone might torrent something. That at least I understand. What I didn't get was why we'd be willing to pay a torrent site for access, but not be willing to pay for the book? Now maybe The Audiobook Bay isn't pay torrent site. But at the time I looked. They were in fact charging for membership.


message 44: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments Christopher wrote: "Again, my issue was never why someone might torrent something. That at least I understand. What I didn't get was why we'd be willing to pay a torrent site for access, but not be willing to pay for ..."

The answer is that the book/movie/music/game/... is not available for digital purchase in the country they live in and there is no legal way to purchase it.


message 45: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments While I am sure that's true for some, I seriously doubt it's the case for the majority of people paying to torrent from that site, or the others that require a monthly fee.


message 46: by Sky (last edited Jan 13, 2015 10:41AM) (new)

Sky | 665 comments Most torrent sites only make you think you need to pay - what you are actually paying for is access to a USENET server to download files directly - not for torrenting. The links are just confusing to trick people into paying for another service, so that the torrent site gets revenue sharing. The audiobookbay requires you create an account, but it does not charge for it.


message 47: by Sky (last edited Jan 13, 2015 12:07PM) (new)

Sky | 665 comments As to your doubt that the majority of people paying for torrents are overseas, I can't really say one way or another, but only point anecdotal evidence among my overseas friends, many of whom pay $10-$20/month for a VPN service, just to give them an IP address in the US to allow them pay Netflix $10/month and watch movies, order books only available in the US from Amazon.com instead of their local amazon, and use a mail forwarding service to get it shipped to them.

From personal experience, I have never paid for a torrent site when I pirated stuff in highschool (torrents didnt exist back then) but I can say I liked to collect games and I probably never played 99% of the stuff I downloaded.

Now, I owe hundreds of games legally through Humble Bundle, GOG (and still have never played 99% of them), subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Unlimited, Oyster, etc. Unfortunately much of these subscription services are only available in the US.


back to top