The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Well of Ascension question

Worth continuing the series?
Matt Hageman Matt Feb 26, 2012 02:37PM
I loved the first book in the series but is the second book worth reading? If you want to see my review on the first book click the link... http://www.geniusbookreviews.wordpres...

If you don't, i'll kill you myself

Sharmila Ravishanker I totally agree with you. Can I help :)
Dec 27, 2014 10:20AM

Yes and Yes of course, you must, you have to if only to see how it ends. Think about it this is the guy who gave you the 9.7/10 book that you loved so much trust me he wont disappoint you.

Darnell (last edited Mar 06, 2012 12:48AM ) Mar 06, 2012 12:39AM   1 vote
Definitely, I finished the Mistborn trilogy at the beginning of year, and it's the best trilogy I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Sanderson weaves and intricate and fascinating world, where everything makes sense. The smallest item has a significance, at no point did I ever feel a lapse of continuity, like something was just added because the author wrote himself into a hole. If Sanderson goes forth with his plans to make the Mistborn trilogy into a trilogy of trilogies where the former was the past and the next trilogy will be the present, consider me strapped in for the long haul.

Definitely, if you liked the first one there is enough intrigue and plot development in book 2 to keep you going

Absolutely!

Yeah! You have to know how this whole thing ends!

Not only you should read the second and third book, which are just as great as the first one, but you should also check out The Alloy of Law. Honestly, this is one of the best series I've ever read.

Hitandmiss (last edited Feb 26, 2012 03:43PM ) Feb 26, 2012 03:42PM   0 votes
I'm confused your review is full of love for the first book.
"I would rate this book 9.7 out of 10"
Why would you not want to continue and read the rest of the series?

I feel like theres a missing link as to why you have gone from loving it to confused...

Definitely. Found the second a little slower than the first, until I got into the last third of the book, where it sped up to a fantastic climax. Reading book three now.

Its a great trilogy, there is quite a lot of moping in the second one especially by Vin but the ending is amazing and the third is truly epic.

I have read all three. I loved them! Sanderson creates a unique world and magic system that is interesting. His writing makes you become involved and care for the characters. Sanderson weaves a good tale. This is why is was selected to finish The Wheel of Time series.

I felt more satisfied by the end of Hero of Ages, especially after getting everything explained. But I have no interest in Alloy of Law, even though I like Sanderson's style. But it was definitely worth it to read the first 3 because there are things revealed that you possibly might not have been expecting that pulled the story together.

U 25x33
Han.yu.dw13 Alloy of Law is worth reading.
Jan 10, 2014 08:25PM · flag

this is a fabulous read i loved every minute. I have read the Alloy of law as well, although it is a departure from the initial time period of the first three books.

Yeah, I've become a huge Brandon Sanderson fan. I've read both his WOT books and was impressed, so I read the Mistborn Trilogy, Alloy of Law, and Way of Kings. I've ordered Warbreaker and Elantris, too.

All three of the books are well written. Now, he does end the series on a solemn note.

Book 4 is a much shorter story set on the same planet many years later. All but two of the characters from the original series have passed on by that point.

I absolutely loved the first book in the series, but I have to admit to being slightly disappointed in the second book. (It's still good enough to warrant reading though!)

Credit goes to Brandon Sanderson for continuing a magic system (or rather, an entire ecosystem) of such immense proportion and believability. It's amazing that he can blend so many different magics and sciences in one world without it clashing or feeling too busy. Quite to the contrary, each aspect of the environment seems to balance the others perfectly.

Sanderson also has a very well thought out and well paced story to tell. The place where I feel he falls short is in the romance between Vin and Elend Venture. Or maybe my gripe is more thoroughly with the character of Vin.

Vin comes across to me as a bit... flippant. And this is most apparent in the way she handles her relationship with Elend. They remind me of two teenagers playing at love, rather than a couple who has survived the full collapse of the world they knew, and the struggle to rebuild a new one.

This is a complaint I had about the female lead in Elantris as well, so perhaps it's a characteristic of Sanderson's female characters that I just need to come to terms with (though, to be fair, I felt his female characters in The Way of Kings had much more maturity).

...but I'm getting side tracked. Overall, the Mistborn Trilogy is one of the better fantasy series I've read, and after finishing it I looked forward to the rest of Sanderson's work with nothing but enthusiasm.

Absolutely, it's worth reading. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole trilogy and it makes it into my top 3 favourite series.

Read all three books, the story is not 'complete' with out all three. I realize that logically that is a given, but once you complete the trilogy you will see.

Definatley. ANd the next book after the trilogy "Alloy of Law" is excellent.

I read all three at once and after the first one I was thinking to myself, "that was a great- probably the best standalone fantasy novel I have read." Seems like the fact that it is a series- it could probably only go down. And that is what it did . . . I am going to throw away the 2nd and 3rd books and loan the first book out to my friends that have not read it as a stand-alone book. I could go more into depth but am choosing not to because of spoilers.

I agree that it's a must read, but I can't agree with Shane that the second was better than the first. For me the second was too much of a downer... I understand the arc of plot, that the middle book of a trilogy is usually where everything goes wrong, but man...

The third (I'm currently about 2/3 through, is bringing many points together and shaping up nicely... I'll review it soon!

I do have the same question, but not about this book, which I have already read, but about reading the following ones in this saga. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the first one, almost as much as I enjoyed the first three books of The Stormlight Archive. But although I also enjoyed most of this book, a couple of major flaws severely spoiled my enjoyment to the point I do not think it is worth reading further. I will explain myself.

There are two events in this book that are so absurd, so illogical, so stupid and so forcefully inserted into the plot for no good reason, or without spending a little bit of effort to provide a plausible explanation for them, that the whole plot of the series seems pointless. I feel that if Sanderson wants to reach some specific end of this story without taking the time to develop it properly, he could just tell us how it ends and avoid us the time and effort to go through a pretense of a plot. And that makes me angry, not only for having spent a significant amount of time reading the books, but also because he is a writer I generally enjoy and that is capable of very good stuff. And it also surprises me quite a bit that other readers did not seem to notice or care about this. 

[Spoiler warning] The first of the events I am talking about is related to the secret rebel army being destroyed and wasted for absolutely no reason. It is not an issue of overconfidence or miscalculation of the strength of the army or its opposing forces, but that there is absolutely no point in testing an army that is supposed to be secret before it is the right time to use it. And it cannot be explained by a general being stupid or going mad. Many thousands of soldiers would need to agree to this madness that not only will result in their almost certain death, but it will defeat the goal for which they have trained so intensely and risked so much, including the future of their families. Utter nonsense!

The second event is the fight between Sazed and Marsh. Sazed, after having narrowly avoided being killed by Marsh and luckily being able to momentarily incapacite him, which is known to quickly regenerate (as all steel inquisitors do), instead of finishing him, he just turns his back on him and leaves. That is not only stupid and suicidal, but knowing that Marsh wants to kill his friends, letting him go is nothing short of becoming an accessory to murder. It is difficult to conceive an event more absurd than this in the plot. I will not be able to read through the other books without thinking at each Marsh future appearance that this character could not really be there.

My question is, do the other books provide a valid explanation to these senseless events? Or, if they do not, are these just a couple of unexplainable very unfortunate mishaps in Sanderson's writing that do not repeat themselves, or are there other similarly absurd events in the plot that would make reading the rest of the books a complete waste of my time?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yes please!

I would recommend the whole series and Sanderson's books in general, but there are more and more places as you advance to the second and then third book where he gets bogged down in the details of his world's history and mechanics. I loved the actual ending, but much of book 3 was a hard slog to get there. I'm really hoping The Stormlight Archives don't go the same route, as the first book was excellent and did a much better job of folding the exposition into the narrative.

Sanderson's worst book for endless, cludgy exposition was Warbreaker, which for me also had a much less interesting magic system than his other works and a lack of sympathetic characters. He does seem to be improving his craft over time, so I look forward to great things from him in the future.

I preferred the second novel to the first, and while I enjoyed both and will read the third (especially since I already have it ;-), I would not rank this series at the top of my list. Sanderson has obviously put a lot of thought into the plot, but there are too many times that I feel that the narrative style or the characters are a bit too cavalier.

The Mistborn series is for lack of a better word, Awesome! carry on reading it and then start on some of Brandon Sanderson's other books such as Elantris or Warbreaker. they are all well worth a read.

I thinl mistborn works better as a standalone. The first book is good but the are to are just mediocre. I didn't like them nearly as much.

Yes, it is worth it. I read all three books in the series and wasn't disappointed in the least. I think it is one of the best series I have ever read.

The payoff in the third is what elevates this series. The second book was my least favorite of the three (more because of the strength of the other two), by far, but it is good enough to get me through to the third book and to the end.

Not quite as good, but redeemed by the third book.

Definitely. I've read the first two and thought the second was even better than the first. The last one is on my ever-growing to-read list, and i'm really looking forward to it.

Read it, you absolutely must.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Well of Ascension (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Brandon Sanderson (other topics)