Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Spring 2012 10.6 - Music of the Soul

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 10.6 - The Music of the Soul
In honor of National Poetry Month, read a book of poetry, a work of epic poetry, OR a novel in verse.

message 2: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (knittingyogini) | 162 comments I'll start with a really dumb question. Shakespeare's plays: I remember from long ago in high school that they are iambic pentameter. Does that having meter make them in verse or count as poetry?

message 3: by Liz M (last edited Feb 27, 2012 10:27AM) (new)

Liz M Leigh wrote: "I'll start with a really dumb question. Shakespeare's plays: I remember from long ago in high school that they are iambic pentameter. Does that having meter make them in verse or count as poetry?"

Most of Shakespeare's plays are a mixture of prose and poetry. They are not eligible for this task.

message 4: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2834 comments Is it OK to read two short books of poetry that together make over 100 pages?

message 5: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rosemary wrote: "Is it OK to read two short books of poetry that together make over 100 pages?"

If they are written by the same author, yes.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11875 comments I might see if I can get my hands on one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verse_no...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11875 comments Couldn't find any of the half dozen or so I looked for at my library, so ordered a used copy of Jack, the Lady Killer from Alibris. I'm not much for poetry, but I'm kind of excited about this one.

message 8: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2834 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I might see if I can get my hands on one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verse_no..."

That is a wonderful list, thank you!

message 9: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Robinson (kellifrobinson) Does this work? Loss, Limbo, Life & Love

message 10: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Kelli wrote: "Does this work? Loss, Limbo, Life & Love"

It is described as a "document in verse", so yes it fits.

message 11: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Robinson (kellifrobinson) Great! I'm starting it this week. See how this group stretches our reading horizons? Fantastic.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.